ddr3 memory without heat spreaders?

I am updating my system soon and found this geil ddr3 1600 without heat spreaders and am wondering if it does not need them why does almost all memory have them?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144496

also anyone have any experience with geil as a brand? they seem to have good reviews just never used or heard of them.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

Heat spreaders are pretty much entirely for looks.

If you have very basic airflow (honestly a CPU cooler alone is enough) they aren't relevant.

RAM is RAM, really. I haven't got any experience with GeIL, but it's pretty hard to stuff up RAM design.

That RAM has five eggs on Newegg. I wouldn't worry.

It won't be faulty or they wouldn't develop it.

Heat Spreaders on memory are mostly useless, they could reduce the temperature by 1 or 2 Celcius, but what does it change. Even if you raised your voltage, the actual memory wouldn't be the first thing to die in your computer.

I don't know Geil very well, but back in the days they used to make very baller rams with Micron D9 chips.

I wouldn't worry about it, they make good memory.

I've got an old 775 system that runs without heat spreaders and it's fine. I've also got a dual Xeon server which I suspect doesn't have them either. Laptops although slightly different don't have them. Yes you might gain as mentioned one or two degrees but you can run fine without them.

I've heard that you should avoid voltages above 1.5 volts on RAM without a heat spreader. Otherwise it is fine.

I've heard that you should avoid voltages above 1.5 volts on RAM without a heat spreader. Otherwise it is fine.
There's plenty of 1.65v memory kit without heat spreaders on the market. It doesn't require a heat spreaders.

I wouldn't sweat it, I am running a duel xeon 3.66ghz system with 6 gbs no heat spreaders, I have put this memory to its limits MANY times rendering 1080p effects filled videos,

It should be fine,

Nathan

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

I have never had a problem with heat on RAM without a spreader at volts above that, I'm pretty sure it isn't true.

To answer the OP Geil has decent RAM and spreaders are only for aesthetics, enjoy.

The heat spreaders are mostly just for looks. They lower your ram temp only by a little bit so its not really worth paying more for rams with heat spreaders unless you want the aesthetics.

The best magically overclocking sticks, are from samsung. and no they dont have heatspreaders.

the ram is sold in 1333 mhz, but ive seen them go up to 2200 mhz. beyond that point, heat output was a bottleneck. so 1600 will be fine.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

The best magically overclocking sticks, are from samsung. and no they dont have heatspreaders.

the ram is sold in 1333 mhz, but ive seen them go up to 2200 mhz. beyond that point, heat output was a bottleneck. so 1600 will be fine.

can i get a link?
Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

it is dutch, but here you have it:

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1492687///samsung%2Coverclock%2Ctopic

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

If you have very basic airflow (honestly a CPU cooler alone is enough) they aren't relevant.

RAM is RAM, really. I haven't got any experience with GeIL, but it's pretty hard to stuff up RAM design.

Good sir I have to contradict you there. With cheap RAM without heat spreaders you can actually feel heat radiating from the RAM if you put your hand close.

Also heat spreaders help overclocking.

I also have to agree that 5eggs on Newegg probably means its good RAM.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Just googling "Samsung RAM" gives plenty of results. :)

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

you can also feel heat coming from your hdd but it isn't dangerous.

I have 2 8GB sticks of these in my machine. I've been running them for 9 months without a problem. They look awesome, and seem to be pretty well built to. I want to add more to run a Ram disk but they discontinued the set I bought :( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144564

"Wisdom III" AMD FX 8120 @ 4.1Ghz // Biostar TA990FXE // 16GB GeIL Black Dragon (8x2) // Saphire HD 7870 OC Edition // CORSAIR TX850M // Curcial M4 64GB (boot) // Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5TB (storage) // Cooler Master Hyper N 520 // Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

if you are going to overclock your memory you definitely need heat spreaders but if you are going to use the ram for casual purpose the ram you mentioned is enough.

if you are going to overclock your memory you definitely need heat spreaders but if you are going to use the ram for casual purpose the ram you mentioned is enough.

The Samsung RAM i linked doesn't have heat spreaders and overclocks like a beast. It's one of the few ram that OCs without any problems easily.

Yeah, you guys are most probably correct.

It isn't dangerous, but I wouldn't OC with cheap RAM regardless; like you say, Ghost, five eggs is great as is. :)

The Samsung RAM i linked doesn't have heat spreaders and overclocks like a beast. It's one of the few ram that OCs without any problems easily.

I saw this post and read through to see if anyone recommended samsungs super-ram over the geil ram,because while both are reputable this ram is amazing.
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I have Samsung ram in my system and I can vouch for it as well, they are very good. =]

Keep in mind that you don't even see much of ram since how it goes in vertically on a motherboard.

As long as you don't overclock it, it's fine, no worries.