IBM Model M - Mods?

dylandylandylan

Hey guys!

I recently got a hold of an IBM Model M, this one in fact:

nDUXC9e.jpg

I was wondering what mods I could do on it? Maybe strip it and get it professionally painted? USB cable mod?

I was lucky enough to buy two more for a similar price, so one is being modded for science!

#!

paint all the buttons pretty colors! :D

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I would keep it as it is to be honest, even if you have two more. I really dig the old look and the typing experience is amazing out of the box. Maybe do the USB cable mode.

I would keep it as it is to be honest, even if you have two more. I really dig the old look and the typing experience is amazing out of the box. Maybe do the USB cable mode.

Yeah, it takes some getting used to though, coming from cherry reds on my quickfire, to this, damn, the keys are heavy, feel like I'm getting arthritis, mind you, exactly same thing happened when I switched from membrane to mechanical. I got used to it pretty quickly ;)

#!

All I would do is clean it so it's spotless and leave it as it is. If you were ever to sell it, original state products are usually looked out for and sell for more.

That's a good point. I might look into getting one professionally painted black, to match the ever-elusive Model M13

#!

Yeah, it takes some getting used to though, coming from cherry reds on my quickfire, to this, damn, the keys are heavy, feel like I'm getting arthritis, mind you, exactly same thing happened when I switched from membrane to mechanical. I got used to it pretty quickly ;)

The buckling spring experience is definitely VERY different from "regular" mechanic switches. I personally absolutely love the feel, you really feel like you're doing some work with them. :D

You could dye the case and keys. There's a tutorial over at geekhack on how to do that.

Mod a Model M? blasphemy!

Just use PS/2, I bet your computer has it.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

They we're cheat sheet icons. I believe the keyboard was used as a database entry keyboard originally.

#!