Need Reccomendations

romanwilton

I used to use in ear headbuds, but they are always uncomfortable for long periods of use, in my experience, so I am looking at some closed headphones that are not too bulky or expensive as I want to be able to have them on me for long trips and to carry around with me, so rugged is a plus as well.

Thanks,

romanwilton

I've recently got a pair of ATH M50's and am quite pleased with them. Depending on where you are you could pick em up for between 100 and 150 - (but i'm not sure what your budget is really).
The coiled cable version should be quite portable - it comes with a nice faux leather carrying pouch - and the headphones can fold up into them.

Durability: they feel quite sturdy - great build quality - but don't go sitting on them.

Sound Profile: I find they have excellent highs, and great track separation across the audio spectrum. The mids are a bit recessed (which i find annoying) but a bit of playing with an EQ can remedy this. Also - these have quite a bit of bass to them - which again can be fixed with playing with the EQ a bit - BUT some people like lots of bass - so if y ou are one of them this may suit you.

These do require a bit of a burn in i'd say - been using mine for about 45 hours now and they're starting to develop some nice characteristics - (though this is subjective. I like having slightly suppressed bass which is more on the periphery of the track, rather than the focus of it - you may not like this).

Regarding comfort - They work for me - about all i can say :P I can listen to these for hours without getting aches in and around my ears - my RS170's i'd have to take them off after about an hour because the outsides of my ears would hurt. - but just my two cents.

I'm sure the community has some more awesome recommendations for ya!

Hasufein.