help with raid 1

1chalupa

i have three drives already in my computer that are in use. two of them are 60gb ssd's in raid 0 for boot and frequent stuff. i then have a 1tb drive. i just received another 1tb drive. what i want to do is make a raid 1 array with the two 1tb hard drives. i probably should of asked this before buying another drive but whatever my fault... my question is that can i create the raid 1 array and keep the existing data on the drive? i have heard you can do a software side raid array but its not as good than a hardware raid array. what should i do? if the raid 1 array cant be done with out having to lose the data i will just use the drive for backups along with my cloud backing up. 

( I dont know the answer but im posting so it brings this post back up, in order for more people to see, people who know )

thanks man

Creating the RAID from existing hard drive is possible is you are under windows environment.
You can use the Intel Rapid Storage software to manage, create and modify RAID 1.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Creating the RAID from existing hard drive is possible is you are under windows environment.

You can use the Intel Rapid Storage software to manage, create and modify RAID 1.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel®+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%C2%AE+RST)

http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/irst_user_guide.pdf

I have an amd CPU, will it still work. And with that solution do I have to format existing data on the drive?

I have an amd CPU, will it still work. And with that solution do I have to format existing data on the drive?

It won't work with an amd cpu. I'll keep looking. 

May I ask why you're setting up raid 1?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It won't work with an amd cpu. I'll keep looking. 

May I ask why you're setting up raid 1?

for data security of my existing data, thought it would be a good idea to get a second drive for raid 1 but didnt think it would make me format the drives because its not doing anything to the first drive. i have alot of data of the drive that i dont want to loose. BTW this isnt my boot drive, its just for mass storage.

for data security of my existing data, thought it would be a good idea to get a second drive for raid 1 but didnt think it would make me format the drives because its not doing anything to the first drive. i have alot of data of the drive that i dont want to loose. BTW this isnt my boot drive, its just for mass storage.

I've found no solutions so far but if you could, just copy the data to another drive, set up the raid and copy them back.

I've found no solutions so far but if you could, just copy the data to another drive, set up the raid and copy them back.

i was thinking about that, but the only other drive i have that is big enough to hold everything is an external usb 2.0 drive. it will take ages to transfer all of that data. while digging through windows for solutions i found this admin tool called iSCSI initiator, it looked like it had to do with raid and stuff. i might be wrong. can i use that? does windows have a way to configure a mirrored drive array?

i was thinking about that, but the only other drive i have that is big enough to hold everything is an external usb 2.0 drive. it will take ages to transfer all of that data. while digging through windows for solutions i found this admin tool called iSCSI initiator, it looked like it had to do with raid and stuff. i might be wrong. can i use that? does windows have a way to configure a mirrored drive array?

iSCSI will wipe the drives.

iSCSI will wipe the drives.

darn, i thought i had something

As far as I know you'd need a third drive to back everything up onto, then you could create a raid 1 setup and re-write everything onto it.

I think you're better off using your second 1TB drive as a backup drive. Backups are arguably more helpful than just a mirror, because they still protect your data, but if a file gets corrupted or deleted on a raid 1 array, it's gone, but if you have it backed up, then you can just restore a previous version. Hope this helps!

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

As far as I know you'd need a third drive to back everything up onto, then you could create a raid 1 setup and re-write everything onto it.

I think you're better off using your second 1TB drive as a backup drive. Backups are arguably more helpful than just a mirror, because they still protect your data, but if a file gets corrupted or deleted on a raid 1 array, it's gone, but if you have it backed up, then you can just restore a previous version. Hope this helps!

you know i never thought of that... i have a cloud based backup system but it doesnt backup everything since we only get 250gb, with 1tb of my own storage i can backup everything. thanks for the idea. saved me alot of time and waiting for things to copy and paste. then through the cloud backup system i can also configure a local backup or just use the windows backup system. PS. your computer specs are amazing... i have to get around to putting mine in my signature

you know i never thought of that... i have a cloud based backup system but it doesnt backup everything since we only get 250gb, with 1tb of my own storage i can backup everything. thanks for the idea. saved me alot of time and waiting for things to copy and paste. then through the cloud backup system i can also configure a local backup or just use the windows backup system. PS. your computer specs are amazing... i have to get around to putting mine in my signature

No problem, just trying to help :P Another thing that's better about a backup vs a mirror (as long as it's an external backup) is that if somehow everything in your computer gets fried (bad psu, water damage, etc) then your data is still safe since it's external to your computer. Might want to look into getting a usb 3 or e-sata enclosure for that, but just another thought :)

And thanks! I don't actually have a thread for it anywhere because I'm a bit ashamed of the cable management (for a while I was playing with different pcie configurations and everything was constantly being moved so the cabling was a nightmare and I never fixed it)

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

Well you already have your BIOS set to RAID. Just boot into BIOS and activate (go into) the RAID controller (not sure on AMD but it might be Alt-I) then see if you have the option of creating another RAID array totally separate from the current RAID 0 for the 2 SSD's for the 1 TB drives in RAID 1. What controller do you have on your AMD board? Look at the manual and see what it says.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.