Youtube 5.1

Arty

I had to turn speaker fill on in my speaker properties to get surround working. It never worked natively for me the past 9 months, but haven't tried with speaker fill off recently.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en&ref_topic=2888648

Says here youtube supports 5.1 upload, been like this for a while...

Can anyone confirm you can playback at 5.1 on youtube?

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

The first time I set up my surround speakers it worked, and voices were coming from the centre speaker. Of that I am certain.

Then I moved home, and it defaulted back to only using two speakers. Never managed to fix it.

To be Technical, Youtube supported surround sound from day 1....

You just need headphones.... 

To be Technical, Youtube supported surround sound from day 1....

You just need headphones.... 

binaural stereo  ≠ 5.1 audio

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

binaural stereo  ≠ 5.1

But it can be converted, and just guessing but anyone with experience wouldn't they sound the same? 5.1 audio with 5.1 headphones vs stereo headphone with binaural audio, i mean really, we only have 2 ears...

But it can be converted, and just guessing but anyone with experience wouldn't they sound the same? 5.1 audio with 5.1 headphones vs stereo headphone with binaural audio, i mean really, we only have 2 ears...

We do, but if sound is coming from the front, then in headphones it can only come from a left ear, right ear, or both, same as sound above you.  I listen to a lot of ASMR binaural recordings, and its hard to tell the difference between "in front" and "behind" since there are only 2 points of reference for the sound

from a 5.1 system sound can come from 5 speakers in different direction

You still get "surround" from both, but the more speakers you have the more accurate the directional sound will be, though both will still surround you

For example go into a game with headphones and listen to something happening, turn your characters head around, you can hear audio switch from left to right channel,

then listen to a radio IRL behind you and turn your head, even if your left ear has louder sound, your right ear still hears it too....

this CAN be simulated for headphones, but I find actually surrounding sound speakers give a more accurate surrounding experiance

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

We do, but if sound is coming from the front, then in headphones it can only come from a left ear, right ear, or both, same as sound above you.  I listen to a lot of ASMR binaural recordings, and its hard to tell the difference between "in front" and "behind" since there are only 2 points of reference for the sound

from a 5.1 system sound can come from 5 speakers in different direction

You still get "surround" from both, but the more speakers you have the more accurate the directional sound will be, though both will still surround you

For example go into a game with headphones and listen to something happening, turn your characters head around, you can hear audio switch from left to right channel,

then listen to a radio IRL behind you and turn your head, even if your left ear has louder sound, your right ear still hears it too....

this CAN be simulated for headphones, but I find actually surrounding sound speakers give a more accurate surrounding experiance

True, well said

I beleive for there to be propper "5.1" audio durring playback, the audio has to be bitstreamed to an A/V reciever either through HDMI or Toslink Optical. The other option is that you have a 5.1 analog setup being driven by a sound card that is configured properly.

Also, this may not work properly in Chrome at the moment, as to my knowledge 5.1 is not fully implemented in the new HTML5 player.

Apparently it does work on FireFox with Flash. YMMV.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Off topic: 5.1 speakers are probably the purchase I regret the most because of how little actual use I get out of them. They're nice and loud but I always have to either live with the fact that only 2 speakers are working or the cheap workaround button that forces "surround" but in reality kills the stereo effect. Granted this might be entirely due to my crappy speakers but I already feel like I paid too much for them (a C-note) I don't think I'd be comfortable paying for more expensive ones even if the surround experience dramatically improves.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I beleive for there to be propper "5.1" audio durring playback, the audio has to be bitstreamed to an A/V reciever either through HDMI or Toslink Optical. The other option is that you have a 5.1 analog setup being driven by a sound card that is configured properly.

Also, this may not work properly in Chrome at the moment, as to my knowledge 5.1 is not fully implemented in the new HTML5 player.

Apparently it does work on FireFox with Flash. YMMV.

Flash remains available for Chrome also, I use it.

Main Rig:

Spoiler

AMD FX 8320 @4.5Ghz  8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blu 1600Mhz Sapphire Vapor X HD 7950 3GB 120GB Samsung 840 Evo  Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 

Corsair 600T Graphite Corsair H80i Corsair CX600 2x LG 24 inch LED @1080p Logitech G700s CM Quickfire TK (Brown)

Home Server:

Spoiler

A4 6300 @3.7Ghz 5GB Kingston/Crucial DDR3 1600Mhz 1TB WD Green 2TB Seagate Barracuda

500GB WD Blue 2x Gigabit NIC Antec 300 OCZ 500w PSU Gigabyte F2A68HM-HD2 R1.1

• 1 year later...

Off topic: 5.1 speakers are probably the purchase I regret the most because of how little actual use I get out of them. They're nice and loud but I always have to either live with the fact that only 2 speakers are working or the cheap workaround button that forces "surround" but in reality kills the stereo effect. Granted this might be entirely due to my crappy speakers but I already feel like I paid too much for them (a C-note) I don't think I'd be comfortable paying for more expensive ones even if the surround experience dramatically improves.

Ι was in between my z506 and the z623. Some friends had 5.1 speakers and I fell in love with them cause songs and games where amazing. Also they where cheaper than the z623.

I wouldn't say I regret the buy cause they are cool, but I should have gone with the z623...

Maybe I'll sell/give them to my mom and buy the 2.1 speakers

Code-name Nyx: R7-3800X w/ Scythe Fuma 2 Rev. B | Sapphire RX 5600XT | Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout | 3TB NVMe Storage| Cooler Master NR200 | Kubuntu/Windows 11 | Xiaomi Mi Curved 34" | Keebwerk Mega | Logitech G602 | Audio Technica ATH-M40X| Edifier e25 Luna

binaural stereo  ≠ 5.1 audio

I must accept this as I  haven't got clue 1 about audio.

But how do you (TINY) tell if a sound is in front of you or above when you only have two sound detectors (your ears) at the sides?

Do you have to see what made the noise? I can see how you tell if the sound is left or right and roughly how far away it is but I cannot get my head around telling straight in front of you from straight above you.

According to :-

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bring-science-home-two-ears-sound/

—it's hard to tell the difference between a sound directly in front of or behind you

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I must accept this as I  haven't got clue 1 about audio.

But how do you (TINY) tell if a sound is in front of you or above when you only have two sound detectors (your ears) at the sides?

Do you have to see what made the noise? I can see how you tell if the sound is left or right and roughly how far away it is but I cannot get my head around telling straight in front of you from straight above you.

According to :-

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bring-science-home-two-ears-sound/

The shape of the ear and many other factors

its interesting to read up on