What's the required +12V rail current for GTX 770s in two-way SLI?

Hello again LTT

I'm getting ever closer to building my first real gaming PC, and I was thinking about future upgradeability in the form of SLI. I've chosen the GTX 770 for my build, and intend to add a second card in the future, as and when I can afford it. I know that a single 770 needs 42 amps on the +12V rail, but what about two of them? Does it scale exactly (so I'd need at least 84 amps), or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers once again guys,

FullNuclearBreakfast

(Any power supply recommendations would be much appreciated :D)

DROGON: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz /// MSI Z97 Gaming 5 /// Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB @ 1600MHz /// EVGA GTX 780 Classified /// Phanteks Enthoo Pro /// Crucial MX100 512GB SSD /// Corsair AX760i /// Corsair H105 /// Corsair Vengeance K70 /// Corsair M45 /// Dell Ultrasharp U2414H /// Build log: completed

That's not quite how electricity works.

Ax 860i should be more than sufficient.

^ 2 770's could run comfortably with a typical 84W Intel CPU on 650W.

It's not the wattage I'm worried about.

DROGON: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.5 GHz /// MSI Z97 Gaming 5 /// Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x4GB @ 1600MHz /// EVGA GTX 780 Classified /// Phanteks Enthoo Pro /// Crucial MX100 512GB SSD /// Corsair AX760i /// Corsair H105 /// Corsair Vengeance K70 /// Corsair M45 /// Dell Ultrasharp U2414H /// Build log: completed

• 2 weeks later...

That's not quite how electricity works.

Ax 860i should be more than sufficient.

So how does it work?

So how does it work?

The 42amp recommendation is inflated and for the entire system. When going with sli, you're simply adding another 770 instead of duplicating the entire system.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The 42amp recommendation is inflated and for the entire system. When going with sli, you're simply adding another 770 instead of duplicating the entire system.

Ahhhh, gotcha :) Yeah I assumed it was 42 amps for just the graphics card.