Folder Encryption Software

Hi all,

So i am in need of a encryption software that will encrypt, and preferably hide, certain folders on various Hard drives of my System. I have heard of a few like Trucrypt etc, but i understand True Crypt encrypts a complete drive and recently seems to have had some serious flaw detected in it. I would like to know if anyone uses any open source software that will help me encrypt only certain folders. Also i have a few question around these applications:

1. So say i encrypt a drive (external or internal other than the boot disk) using Trucrypt and my boot drive or OS crashes. Will i be able to decrypt the drive when i re-install the OS and truecrypt?
  2. Same scenario but this time i encrypt only a folder and i have to reinstall my OS and the application. Will i loose the encrypted data?
  3.  Can i move the encrypted folder to a different system and be able to decrypt it on that system.

Any help would be appreciated on the encryption applications and my queries here.

Regs

DL

What happened with Truecrypt looks really shady, it has been known as one of the safest applications to use. When the site was taken down they recommended to use bitlocker, bitlocker is what Windows Enterprise has built in and almost definitely has NSA back doors. 

Here's a link to an article + download https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm it's hard to know what to trust now, I really don't trust anything anymore lol.

1. Yes.

2. No you will not lose the data as long as the folder is on another hard drive.

3. Yes, you can email the encrypted file.

Also if you really want to be safe use a 20+ character password even if it's something like I do not like to eat spoiled meat in the summer because 2000 is a number.

Hope this helps!

What happened with Truecrypt looks really shady, it has been known as one of the safest applications to use. When the site was taken down they recommended to use bitlocker, bitlocker is what Windows Enterprise has built in and almost definitely has NSA back doors. 

Here's a link to an article + download https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm it's hard to know what to trust now, I really don't trust anything anymore lol.

1. Yes.

2. No you will not lose the data as long as the folder is on another hard drive.

3. Yes, you can email the encrypted file.

Also if you really want to be safe use a 20+ character password even if it's something like I do not like to eat spoiled meat in the summer because 2000 is a number.

Hope this helps!

Thanks DA, but are there any applications that you recommend other than Trucrypt? I was trying out AxCrypt, but the problem with that is that although you can encrypt files and folders and no one can open them, other users can delete them. So im looking for something that will encrypt and at minimum prevent deletion/movement etc.

As for passwords i use passphrases just like you suggested

thanks for the help

DL

AxCrypt looks okay but I really don't know about any good alternatives.