Which case should I choose?

Hi,

I am looking for a case for the build list below, that might (and probably will) change. I originally looked at the Corsair 450D as a good case. It seemed like it was mid-ranged, but still had the great looks of the Obsidian line, and it looks very good for airflow. Now I am having doubts about it, though, and I wanted some other opinions. I would'nt like to spend more than the cost of the 450D. I really like the NZXT H440, but it doesn't look like it has good airflow, and it also doesn't have a 5.25" drive, which I would like (but I guess I could live without, worse case scenario). I also looked at the NZXT Phantom 410 and I liked it, but I wasn't jumping up and down about it. Same with the CM Storm Enforcer. Any suggestions?

Build list that I might change:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YhpCFT

Feel free to leave suggestions on the rest of my build list as well.

Also, I am a first time builder.

Thanks very much, I hope you guys can help me out!

Hi,

I am looking for a case for the build list below, that might (and probably will) change. I originally looked at the Corsair 450D as a good case. It seemed like it was mid-ranged, but still had the great looks of the Obsidian line, and it looks very good for airflow. Now I am having doubts about it, though, and I wanted some other opinions. I would'nt like to spend more than the cost of the 450D. I really like the NZXT H440, but it doesn't look like it has good airflow, and it also doesn't have a 5.25" drive, which I would like (but I guess I could live without, worse case scenario). I also looked at the NZXT Phantom 410 and I liked it, but I wasn't jumping up and down about it. Same with the CM Storm Enforcer. Any suggestions?

Build list that I might change:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YhpCFT

Feel free to leave suggestions on the rest of my build list as well.

Also, I am a first time builder.

Not really sure.  Just pick what fits best for your parts and aesthetics.  I'd personally go with a Corsair, but I'm a bit of a fanboy.  I'd stick with an ATX Mid Tower though.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Not really sure.  Just pick what fits best for your parts and aesthetics.  I'd personally go with a Corsair, but I'm a bit of a fanboy.  I'd stick with an ATX Mid Tower though.

Thanks for replying, I just want to get a good value case for not much money. I think I just need to find one that I like and just buy it.

Same here. I'm a sucker when it comes to corsair obsidian cases. Never want to build in anything but one of them.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Same here. I'm a sucker when it comes to corsair obsidian cases. Never want to build in anything but one of them.

Do you have a 450D? I like it a lot but I'm not sure if I should just go for a more inexpensive case.

I would drop that expensive gaming keyboard, and put that money toward a larger monitor... more screen is always a good idea.  I don't know if you are one of those keyboard snobs and need a specific key feeling... but that can always be upgraded later.  Your monitor is probably one of the most important parts of the build... so pick a good one first.

My rig =SCOUT2= 

Do you have a 450D? I like it a lot but I'm not sure if I should just go for a more inexpensive case.

Take it from someone who has done it in the past, never skimp on the PC case, if you have something you truly like. You'll regret it until the end of that PC's lifetime. Remember, the case is something you'll have to look at, every time you look at your PC. :)

I'm also a bit of a fanboy of the Obsidian series and I did consider the 450D for a long time. The only reason I didn't go for it, was because I decided I wanted a full tower and went for the 750D instead. I doubt you'll regret the purchase.

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R CPU: Intel i7 2600k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo w. 2x Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX670 SSD: 256GB Samsung 830 HDD: Random WD 500GB (It's old) PSU: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 w. 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial in pull Mobo: ASUS Maximus VII Hero RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 MHz GPU: ASUS GTX780 DCUII SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 Evo HDD: WD Green 3TB PSU: Corsair AX860i

Monitor: BenQ 24" XL2410T Keyboard: Logitech G19 Mouse: Logitech G500 Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 Digital Headphones: Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

I would drop that expensive gaming keyboard, and put that money toward a larger monitor... more screen is always a good idea.  I don't know if you are one of those keyboard snobs and need a specific key feeling... but that can always be upgraded later.  Your monitor is probably one of the most important parts of the build... so pick a good one first.

That's what I figured, and I'm probably gonna go for a Logitech K120 to begin with. Also, do you have a monitor to suggest? Don't want to spend too much. I want a bigger monitor but this one was popular and it seemed like a good deal. I looked at this one as well: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umfg6aaa01

That's what I figured, and I'm probably gonna go for a Logitech K120 to begin with. Also, do you have a monitor to suggest? Don't want to spend too much. I want a bigger monitor but this one was popular and it seemed like a good deal. I looked at this one as well: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umfg6aaa01

Or you could go with another less expensive mechanical keyboard like a Ducky something, Roccat Ryos MK, or a Cooler Master CM Storm Quickfire XT.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Hi,

Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Sidepanel window tickle your fancy? 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I LOVE the Obsidian Series ... Interiors are easy to decide based on your requirements .. get something you are comfortable to look at all the time .. 

Rig1LianLi O11 Dynamic Evo | Asus Crosshair VIII Formula | Ryzen 9 5950x  | 2TB Gen 4 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 49" 5120x1440 

Rig2: TT Tower 200 | Asus X670e-i | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | 2TB Gen 5 | 64 GB  RTX 4090 | Samsung 57" 7680x2160  | Oculus Quest Pro

I LOVE the Obsidian Series ... Interiors are easy to decide based on your requirements .. get something you are comfortable to look at all the time ..

I agree! I like all of them except for the 550D and 650D, they're not bad just not as good looking as the rest of the series.

Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Sidepanel window tickle your fancy?

I'm not a biggest fan of the R4, it looks just a little too basic for my liking.

I really have no specific monitor to suggest to you.  I would just do a little research and get the largest one you could afford at the specific resolution you need.  If  you are gonna be gaming on your pc... I think sizes around 24" are the sweet spot.

My rig =SCOUT2= 

I really have no specific monitor to suggest to you.  I would just do a little research and get the largest one you could afford at the specific resolution you need.  If  you are gonna be gaming on your pc... I think sizes around 24" are the sweet spot.

Yeah, the one I have on the pc part picker list is only 21.5", I would like more than that, but I don't know if I can afford it. Thanks!

Like I mentioned earlier... if I was gonna choose between a gaming keyboard that cost over 100 dollars, or a larger monitor, I would sacrifice on the keyboard side... and use that money toward a bigger monitor.  Unless you are a secretary or someone who types for a living... you probably won't feel much difference between different keyboards, but everyone can see/game better with a larger screen.  Other than that your build looks like it will be good.  Suggestions for a case...  I used a Corsair 200R for my son's recent build, it is a solid little case that is well built and worth it's low price, it's not too fancy but it has everything needed for a good system.

My rig =SCOUT2= 

Like I mentioned earlier... if I was gonna choose between a gaming keyboard that cost over 100 dollars, or a larger monitor, I would sacrifice on the keyboard side... and use that money toward a bigger monitor.  Unless you are a secretary or someone who types for a living... you probably won't feel much difference between different keyboards, but everyone can see/game better with a larger screen.  Other than that your build looks like it will be good.  Suggestions for a case...  I used a Corsair 200R for my son's recent build, it is a solid little case that is well built and worth it's low price, it's not too fancy but it has everything needed for a good system.

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the simple look of the 200R, and the fact that it's pretty inexpensive. I'll keep looking but I think that the 200R will be on my list. I also like the 500R.

I actually came here to post this, My current case is a CM Storm Enforcer, and it gets the job done but it doesn't have that premium feel a gaming case should get. The reason I am interested in the 450D is because of the airflow, as well as being aesthetically pleasing. It comes with 3 fans, two of which cost 40 dollars together. So your getting a roughly 80 dollar case, and for that price its definitely worth it.

if you haven't watched that yet, but there are very few cases around the 80 dollar range like this one. So would you actually go with this case? I might get one on sale in the future :)

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

I actually came here to post this, My current case is a CM Storm Enforcer, and it gets the job done but it doesn't have that premium feel a gaming case should get. The reason I am interested in the 450D is because of the airflow, as well as being aesthetically pleasing. It comes with 3 fans, two of which cost 40 dollars together. So your getting a roughly 80 dollar case, and for that price its definitely worth it.

if you haven't watched that yet, but there are very few cases around the 80 dollar range like this one. So would you actually go with this case? I might get one on sale in the future :)

I like it. I was looking around for some other cases, and I even looked at the 750D, which is very good apparently, but it's too big for my needs. And the 450D is actually around $120, USD anyway.

I adore my 410 but that's because it suits my taste. If you're not jumping up and down over it, don't buy it. For the more plain cases that doesn't really apply. I would get 450D because of the good looks and use-ability.

I would suggest a fractal Design R2 midi

it's a chasis and got good air flow and a little cheaper then a 450D

and a nice tinted window to showoff your parts

I adore my 410 but that's because it suits my taste. If you're not jumping up and down over it, don't buy it. For the more plain cases that doesn't really apply. I would get 450D because of the good looks and use-ability.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably end up going for the 450D.

I would personally recommend the NZXT H440. I have it myself and the airflow still is quite good assuming you have your fans set up appropriately. From reviews I have found that the 450D does a have a few quality control issues but is still a solid choice. If airflow is too much of a concern, go with the 450D, if not definitely get the H440 it is a magnificent case  :)

[ Rig: CPU: 4930K, GPU: EVGA 780TI SC x2, RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Mobo: ASUS P9 X79 LE, Storage: 120GB Samsung EVO + 2TB Seagate Barracuda, PSU: Corsair RM1000 ]

The Coolermaster n600 is a solid deal for a case.

I personally have one and have had no problems with it whatsoever, but remember aesthetics is basically the massive deciding point in a PC case.

Take it from someone who has done it in the past, never skimp on the PC case, if you have something you truly like. You'll regret it until the end of that PC's lifetime. Remember, the case is something you'll have to look at, every time you look at your PC. :)

I'm also a bit of a fanboy of the Obsidian series and I did consider the 450D for a long time. The only reason I didn't go for it, was because I decided I wanted a full tower and went for the 750D instead. I doubt you'll regret the purchase.

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!

The nzxt h440 imo looks as good, if not better than Corsair obsidian line. Fractal's Define R4 or Arc Midi R2. Fractal's cases also come with the 5 1/4 drive bays that you want.