My 1800$ build.

Hi guys ,

So i was planning on upgrading my CPU as the current one i have is pretty much ancient now. I have a budget of 1500-1800$ just for the CPU . I currently have a config in mind , would like to get more thoughts on this or if i need to change it. I would also do some overclocking in the future . I live in india so the prices are a little bit high that what they are stated when compared with $ . Also it gets a little hot where i live as well

CPU: Intel i7 4770k
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card
MOBO:Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard (was initially thinking of getting the ASROCK Extreme 6 )

Case: ? (would prefer a full tower with good air flow so that i have room for future upgrades , removable dust filters as well as i would probably end up cleaning them a lot)
PSU: Corsair HX750 (650W is also ok , but will probably switch to dual SLI in the future)
RAM:Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16 GB (will upgrade to 32 after a few months)

SSD: Samsung EVO 120GB
HDD: WD Caviar Green 2 TB
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i or CM 212 Hyper Evo or Noctua D-14(should i go with water cooling or air cooling? should i replace the stock fans with noctua  if so then that is included in the budget? )
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz (not included in the budget )

Thanks for the help guys .

What is the use of this build?

Diamond 5 in League :)

Hi guys ,

So i was planning on upgrading my CPU as the current one i have is pretty much ancient now. I have a budget of 1500-1800$ just for the CPU . I currently have a config in mind , would like to get more thoughts on this or if i need to change it. I would also do some overclocking in the future . I live in india so the prices are a little bit high that what they are stated when compared with $ . Also it gets a little hot where i live as well

CPU: Intel i7 4770k

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Superclocked ACX Video Card

MOBO:Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard (was initially thinking of getting the ASROCK Extreme 6 )

Case: ? (would prefer a full tower with good air flow so that i have room for future upgrades , removable dust filters as well as i would probably end up cleaning them a lot)

PSU: Corsair HX750 (650W is also ok , but will probably switch to dual SLI in the future)

RAM:Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16 GB (will upgrade to 32 after a few months)

SSD: Samsung EVO 120GB

HDD: WD Caviar Green 2 TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i or CM 212 Hyper Evo or Noctua D-14(should i go with water cooling or air cooling? should i replace the stock fans with noctua  if so then that is included in the budget? )

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz (not included in the budget )

Thanks for the help guys .

Well... dont get the i7 4770k, and if you dont do heavy movie/video rendering and/or 3D modeling/photoshoping then you dont even need an i7, get an i5 4690k instead or if you do do those stuff then get a i7 4790k instead of the 4770k.

For Mobo, ASUS is good but kinda expensive, so howabout MSI Z97 G45 Gaming Mobo? It's a pretty good board with all the function you will every needed

Case: Corsair 450D?

PSU: if you plan for SLI, yeah, get 750+W.

Ram: what are you going to do with 32GB ram @@?

HDD: DONT! GET! WD! GREEN!, please, at least get a WD Blue 7200rpm HDD, or Black if you can, dont get Green. Or switch to Seagate Barracuda

Well, I think H100i should be good for you, and you may want to replace the fan so it will be a bit more quiet.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Well... dont get the i7 4770k, and if you dont do heavy movie/video rendering and/or 3D modeling/photoshoping then you dont even need an i7, get an i5 4690k instead or if you do do those stuff then get a i7 4790k instead of the 4770k.

For Mobo, ASUS is good but kinda expensive, so howabout MSI Z97 G45 Gaming Mobo? It's a pretty good board with all the function you will every needed

HDD: DONT! GET! WD! GREEN!, please, at least get a WD Blue 7200rpm HDD, or Black if you can, dont get Blue. Or switch to Seagate Barracuda

Well, I think H100i should be good for you, and you may want to replace the fan so it will be a bit more quiet.

You got some serouisly good points ;)

Sorry for terrible English, I'm Norwegian   :D

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz | Motherboard: Old MSI Thing | RAM: 2x4GB | GPU: Old Nvidia 8800 GT Card | Case: Old Antex Thing THAT IS F*CKING luod! | Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO + 2x 80GB Western Digital | PSU: Old Blonze Plus 500W | Cooling: Stock Fans
CPU: | Motherboard: | RAM: A | GPU: | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White | Storage: A | PSU: | Cooling: A
Headphones: HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset | Speakers: Logitech Speaker System Z323
Displays: 2x BenQ 24" LED GL2450HE (on a AX Double Monitor Stand (AXM4100) | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 + Razer Manticor (and sometimes Corsair MM600)
Old/Reserve Pheripherals: SteelSeries Frost Blue Gaming Gear (Headset, Mousepad and Mouse) Webcam: Micosoft LiveCam Studio Business | Consoles: Wii + Play Station 3 + Play Station 4

HDD: DONT! GET! WD! GREEN!, please, at least get a WD Blue 7200rpm HDD, or Black if you can, dont get Green. Or switch to Seagate Barracuda

Well I wont be upgrading anytime soon so want to get the best that i can now . It will be pure gaming and maybe some video editing on the side.

MSI has shitty customer service here so i went with ASUS which has better service and am currently running an ASUS as well . Also it has a good warrenty period .

Whats the difference between green,blue and black in WD ? @.@ i was initially planning on getting a segate barracuda but switched to WD.

well ram i think 16 will be there for several months... if i get some extra cash then will add more but this is not a sure thing.

I would prefer to go Full tower rather than Mid . i was initially looking at corsair 750D but only if it fits my budget (also i hate the fact that i would have to remove the front panal for better airflow from the front is which am still sketchy on this).. and other that you can think of?

Well I wont be upgrading anytime soon so want to get the best that i can now . It will be pure gaming and maybe some video editing on the side.

MSI has shitty customer service here so i went with ASUS which has better service and am currently running an ASUS as well . Also it has a good warrenty period .

Whats the difference between green,blue and black in WD ? @.@ i was initially planning on getting a segate barracuda but switched to WD.

well ram i think 16 will be there for several months... if i get some extra cash then will add more but this is not a sure thing.

I would prefer to go Full tower rather than Mid . i was initially looking at corsair 750D but only if it fits my budget (also i hate the fact that i would have to remove the front panal for better airflow from the front is which am still sketchy on this).. and other that you can think of?

The 450D is classified as mid tower but it's rather big :P 750D is WAY too big, to the point where it;s pointless unless you do crazy stuff with it like full custom water loop with lots of other stuff in it, else it will look very empty

for the Ram, I mean... there's no way you can use up all 16GB with what you are going to do, even use up all 8GB without doing PTS etc is already hard enough.

I have never find myself in need of customer service, ever, in anything, so... xD

you may do that (getting the i7) but it's about 100$ more expensive than the i5 with no real benefit to you,  and if you do get the i7 get the 4790k instead of your initial plan with 4770k, with that remember to get a Z97 board as well. There's a z97 sabertooth already if you still want to stick with ASUS

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

The 450D is classified as mid tower but it's rather big :P 750D is WAY too big, to the point where it;s pointless unless you do crazy stuff with it like full custom water loop with lots of other stuff in it, else it will look very empty

for the Ram, I mean... there's no way you can use up all 16GB with what you are going to do, even use up all 8GB without doing PTS etc is already hard enough.

I have never find myself in need of customer service, ever, in anything, so... xD

you may do that (getting the i7) but it's about 100$ more expensive than the i5 with no real benefit to you,  and if you do get the i7 get the 4790k instead of your initial plan with 4770k, with that remember to get a Z97 board as well. There's a z97 sabertooth already if you still want to stick with ASUS

well i have plans of future custom water loops so i would prefer a bigger case . But currently am looking at all options .

I read that the corsair 100i has some leak issues ... is this something to be concerned about ? and if i do get it , which is the optimal position to mount the radiator so that even if it does leak it may not do as much damage ?

any real difference between Z87 and Z97 ... and i noticed that 4790k has a higher clock speed than 4770k but is that it? and whats the max OC on each taking into account how much cooling is necessary as well.

Also still havent decided if i would get the sabertooth or ASROCK extreme 6 ... i think that the extreme 6 has better features than sabertooth as well and cheaper .. you thoughts ? i would prefer ASUS or AsRock .. so if you have any other then do let me know.(will be using this for atleast 3 years minimum)

well i have plans of future custom water loops so i would prefer a bigger case . But currently am looking at all options .

I read that the corsair 100i has some leak issues ... is this something to be concerned about ? and if i do get it , which is the optimal position to mount the radiator so that even if it does leak it may not do as much damage ?

any real difference between Z87 and Z97 ... and i noticed that 4790k has a higher clock speed than 4770k but is that it? and whats the max OC on each taking into account how much cooling is necessary as well.

Also still havent decided if i would get the sabertooth or ASROCK extreme 6 ... i think that the extreme 6 has better features than sabertooth as well and cheaper .. you thoughts ? i would prefer ASUS or AsRock .. so if you have any other then do let me know.(will be using this for atleast 3 years minimum)

I have a 100i myself and I didnt have any problem with it. for the position... if it's leak there's no real way to put it anywhere to prevert that since the CPU is above the GPU~ For the 750D even with the watercooling build it still feel empty on most of the build, so take that into consideration as well.

Z97 support mSata but board like MSI z97 dont support it anyway, since it's not popular, yet. Plus overall to support the 4690 and 4790 the Z97 is better than the Z87. Higher clock speed mean better performance~ also it mean that it can be OC to be higher (Ofc, you have to think about the whole silicon lottery as well, but lets say you have a good OC on both, the 4770k can get to around 4.7 or 4.8 while the 4790k can get about 5.+, and with crazy stuff like sub-zero cooling I remember that it can get to 6.0). For max cooling you probably need a full custom water loop, so if you plan to do that you dont even have to buy the H100i, just include your CPU in the water loop with the GPU as well.

Mobo usually dont die unless it's a cheap/fake etc mobo, both ASUS and ASrock is ok, For feature you have to think if you ever going to use all the feature listed on that mobo, since most ppl dont.

For the CPU, whether you buy an i5 or i7 it's going to last you at least 3-4 years anyway, so dont worry about that and dont spend extra money if you dont really use it. Why I said get an 4770k over 4790k is because it perform much better than the 4770k, while the price is the same (actually it's about 10-20 USD higher, but that's not much)

I have a 100i myself and I didnt have any problem with it. for the position... if it's leak there's no real way to put it anywhere to prevert that since the CPU is above the GPU~ For the 750D even with the watercooling build it still feel empty on most of the build, so take that into consideration as well.

Z97 support mSata but board like MSI z97 dont support it anyway, since it's not popular, yet. Plus overall to support the 4690 and 4790 the Z97 is better than the Z87. Higher clock speed mean better performance~ also it mean that it can be OC to be higher (Ofc, you have to think about the whole silicon lottery as well, but lets say you have a good OC on both, the 4770k can get to around 4.7 or 4.8 while the 4790k can get about 5.+, and with crazy stuff like sub-zero cooling I remember that it can get to 6.0). For max cooling you probably need a full custom water loop, so if you plan to do that you dont even have to buy the H100i, just include your CPU in the water loop with the GPU as well.

Mobo usually dont die unless it's a cheap/fake etc mobo, both ASUS and ASrock is ok, For feature you have to think if you ever going to use all the feature listed on that mobo, since most ppl dont.

For the CPU, whether you buy an i5 or i7 it's going to last you at least 3-4 years anyway, so dont worry about that and dont spend extra money if you dont really use it. Why I said get an 4770k over 4790k is because it perform much better than the 4770k, while the price is the same (actually it's about 10-20 USD higher, but that's not much)

Well i was looking into 750D as a permanent case ... ill probably end up reusing it for a LONG time ... but i guess will decide ltr on this.

Well this will be my first time working with water cooling ... i have seen several videos and they all mount the radiator different ways .. like so ppl use the radiator fans as exaust out of the cpu and some other mount the radiator first and then the fan which would make the air flow into the case which i dont get as they are blowing hte hot air into the case?  so thoughts on this.

I was looking into the 4790k as you mentioned . So anyother diff except the higher stock clock speed ?