New Ultrabook

MathijsZ77

Hi guys,

Recently I've sold my laptop (with original HDD) and kept my SSD (OCZ Vertex 4 256Gb).

I sold it because I want a lightweight high performance pc.

So, right to the point:

I want to get an Ultrabook, Asus always kept me happy so I was looking at the Zenbook Touch (13,3" or 14") and the Vivobook Touch (13,3" or 14"). I really like the touch interface with Windows 8 so that's a must for me.

What I can't quite figure out so easy are the next things....

For my previous notebook I got a Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 and that thing was beast. Also I'd like to replace the RAM. And finally, I want SSD storage/boot-drive.

Will I be fine with the Vivobook or should I get a Zenbook Touch?

Edit: keeping in mind that the Zenbook almost doubles the price, but, comes standard with an SSD. Can't quite figure out if the Vivobook is easy to opgrade and if so, comes near the speed of the Zenbook.

Product names:

Asus Vivobook S400CA CA006H

Asus UX31A-C4027H

Greetings from the Netherlands!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

If not anything else, the Zenbook looks much much better in my opinion. :)

Sorry if my English is not perfect, but it isn't my native language :)

I think you should wait for Haswell, not because it's a new cpu (though that in of itself may justify it already), but mainly because of the power saving mode it brings. Of course that means better battery life for your ultrabook and Haswell is supposedly running cooler as well.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

If not anything else, the Zenbook looks much much better in my opinion. :)

Defenitely true, but the price isn't nearly as much attractive as the UB itself!  :P

I think you should wait for Haswell, not because it's a new cpu (though that in of itself may justify it already), but mainly because of the power saving mode it brings. Of course that means better battery life for your ultrabook and Haswell is supposedly running cooler as well.

Thanks for the reply, this is the reply I was hoping for. Will defenitely wait for Haswell.

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

Defenitely true, but the price isn't nearly as much attractive as the UB itself!  :P

Thanks for the reply, this is the reply I was hoping for. Will defenitely wait for Haswell.

Yeah, I've been waiting to get a touchscreen Ultrabook too for university this coming September. Hopefully Haswell won't shoot up the Ultrabook prices too high.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Yeah, I've been waiting to get a touchscreen Ultrabook too for university this coming September. Hopefully Haswell won't shoot up the Ultrabook prices too high.

Me too mate. I don't like to see high prices at something I want very bad.

Maybe I'll just buy a cheep-o 13,3 inch notebook for temp use. I guess they don't really make slow notebooks anymore. My main system recently that the 3770k die, my Dominator Platinum is toasted and maybe the PCI-lane also is dead............ I also sold my notebook so I'm left over to this crappy AMD V120 Packard Bell notebook and my iPhone 4...  :mellow:  :mellow:   :mellow:

Me too mate. I don't like to see high prices at something I want very bad.

Maybe I'll just buy a cheep-o 13,3 inch notebook for temp use. I guess they don't really make slow notebooks anymore. My main system recently that the 3770k die, my Dominator Platinum is toasted and maybe the PCI-lane also is dead............ I also sold my notebook so I'm left over to this crappy AMD V120 Packard Bell notebook and my iPhone 4...  :mellow:  :mellow:   :mellow:

Damn, that sucks. Hang in there :) In the meantime, if you could sell that Packard Bell notebook and get http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Acer-V5-571P-6815-i5-6GB-750GB-15-6-Multi-Touch-LED-USB-3-0-Windows-8-Notebook-/230962272024?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item35c66c9718&_uhb=1, that would be pretty awesome.

Edit: While searching up your laptop, saw some guy selling it for around 200 CAD. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Packard-Bell-TM87-GU-015UK-15-6-AMD-V120-2-20-Ghz-RAM-3GB-HDD-640GB-WINDOWS-7-/190801115138?cmd=ViewItem&category=177&ih=009

Damn, that sucks. Hang in there :) In the meantime, if you could sell that Packard Bell notebook and get http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Acer-V5-571P-6815-i5-6GB-750GB-15-6-Multi-Touch-LED-USB-3-0-Windows-8-Notebook-/230962272024?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item35c66c9718&_uhb=1, that would be pretty awesome.

Edit: While searching up your laptop, saw some guy selling it for around 200 CAD. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Packard-Bell-TM87-GU-015UK-15-6-AMD-V120-2-20-Ghz-RAM-3GB-HDD-640GB-WINDOWS-7-/190801115138?cmd=ViewItem&category=177&ih=009

Thanks man, just heard from the guy who did a diagnose for me that my 3770k is dead, one RAM stick is dead and my mobo might be dead too.... 

About the Packard Bell notebook, it's my sisters laptop.. So selling is no option. If it was my notebook I would have sold it already for 20 bucks! :P

What about aspire s7, that linus uses, its fucking amazing :D

Or look at some samsung utrabook they are sweet aswell

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

What about aspire s7, that linus uses, its fucking amazing :D

Or look at some samsung utrabook they are sweet aswell

Is it possible to replace the RAM in the Acer s7 and does it have an SSD or can I upgrade it to an SSD?

Is it possible to replace the RAM in the Acer s7 and does it have an SSD or can I upgrade it to an SSD?

The S7 has NO user replaceable parts, even the battery. The whole base of the S7 needs to be removed to access anything. So any RAM/SSD changes will void the warranty.

The service manual is available here. Interestingly it also points to faster clock speed i5 and i7 processors and various SSD vendors. But the RAM is only listed as 4GB at any point in the guide.

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Acer%20Computers/Aspire-S7-391/Manual/325416

RIG-Processor: Intel core i7 3770k @4.4GHz,Mobo: MSI Z77-G43,GPU:Gigabyte GTX 770, RAM:16 GB G-skill sniper f3,SSD: Corsair Force f3 240gb,HDD: Seagate baracuda 1TB,Cooler:CM Hyper 212 evo, Case: Sharkoon T28 Blue

Peripherals- Monitor: Samsung S24B300, Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow, Mouse: Razer Abyssus, Headphones: Razer Megalodon, Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Alpha, Webcam: Logitech C270,Pad:Logitech F710, Sp: Philips generic ones

#KILLEDMYWIFE #MAKEBOMBS

These two laptops are in a different price range but i would go with the zenbook because:

1. Its got a high resolution display

2. SSD is standard so you would not have to go through the trouble and don't worry about warranty.

3. Its got a better processor

bottom line if you dont care about the price difference then defiantly zenbook  

Sony Vaio Pro 13 CPU:Haswell Core i5 4200U RAM: 4 GB GPU: HD4400 Storage: SSD Pci-e 128GB (Its really fast), External 1TB Seagate Expansion Drive Weight: 1.06kg (made of carbon fiber) 

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (4.4.2 Omnirom)