Pentium G3258 "anniversary edition" aka Pentium K Overclocking and Mobo Overclocking compatibility

Hey guys I'm starting this tread in response to the new G3258 & i7 4790k video.

I'm mainly making this for the near future when these are released and I'm very curious to what mobos the G3258 can be overcloced in.

ex. Z87, Z97, Z77 and Z75 

:D

Z97 is the chipset you want.

Z77 is also a different socket (1155) when G3258 is a socket 1150 CPU and is not compatible at all.

I like your username BTW.

MSI has proven to be able to oc it on a H97, H87and B85 chipset.http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=64893/Overclocking+On+H97+With+MSI/ That also seems to include all the other Devil's Canyon chips. Also welcome to the fourm enjoy your stay.

The issue with this at the moment is that Intel, if they so choose, can inject a piece of microcode into a Windows Update/BIOS update to overwrite the vulnerabilities. They have done it before, and let's face it, it is Intel.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

The issue with this at the moment is that Intel, if they so choose, can inject a piece of microcode into a Windows Update/BIOS update to overwrite the vulnerabilities. They have done it before, and let's face it, it is Intel.

'Stability update' :P I don't even get why they are mad about that. Is it because it makes the chips a better value? Or because they get a fee for every Z-XX board that is sold? 

Hmm I expected the z97 boards to work but will anything cheaper work? You see, I'm trying to stay within a certain budget and I don't want to drop $150 on a z97 so are there any other boards/companies that can overclock the Pentium? If someone can find it that would be pretty rad.

MSI has proven to be able to oc it on a H97, H87and B85 chipset.http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=64893/Overclocking+On+H97+With+MSI/ That also seems to include all the other Devil's Canyon chips.   Also welcome to the fourm enjoy your stay.  

Thanks. Do you have any info on other brands and will z87's work?

'Stability update' :P I don't even get why they are mad about that. Is it because it makes the chips a better value? Or because they get a fee for every Z-XX board that is sold? 

They make money on Zxx boards. This is why they are mad.

I am going to buy a Pentium G3258, but this is why I am not going to bother taking a chance with a H97 PC Mate or H97M-G43 (two of the boards with experimental BIOSes that have unlocked multipliers)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

They make money on Zxx boards. This is why they are mad.

I am going to buy a Pentium G3258, but this is why I am not going to bother taking a chance with a H97 PC Mate or H97M-G43 (two of the boards with experimental BIOSes that have unlocked multipliers)

So say when the Pentium K drops and people buy the H boards, can intel pull the plug with a windows update and what if you already overclocked your cpu and you update?

So say when the Pentium K drops and people so buy the H boards, can intel pull the plug with a windows update and what if you already overclocked your cpu and you update?

Intel has the ability to pull the plug with an update, yes. They have done it in the past. As for if you have already overclocked and you update, I presume the CPU returns to stock speeds since the fixed BIOS wouldn't allow it to stay at the overclocked speeds.

I wouldn't take the chance, given a Z97 motherboard costs about $20 USD more than an H97 one.

Intel has the ability to pull the plug with an update, yes. They have done it in the past. As for if you have already overclocked and you update, I presume the CPU returns to stock speeds since the fixed BIOS wouldn't allow it to stay at the overclocked speeds.

I wouldn't take the chance, given a Z97 motherboard costs about $20 USD more than an H97 one.

Dude we need to start one of those (ノಠ_ಠ)ノ Backwards compatibility or riot(ノಠ_ಠ)ノ things.

They build the southbridges/chipsets. Z97 is the most expensive. So yes, in a way, they get paid more for Z97 users.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Hey guys I'm starting this tread in response to the new G3258 & i7 4790k video.

I'm mainly making this for the near future when these are released and I'm very curious to what mobos the G3258 can be overcloced in.

ex. Z87, Z97, Z77 and Z75 

Earlier this month Asus announced that overclocking would be available on H81, H87, B85, and other motherboards with a BIOS change - http://thepcenthusiast.com/asus-h97-h87-b85-and-h81-motherboards-overclock-unlock-processors/.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

There are some z97 at $100. I'm looking at the yellow as rock since it matches the theme I'm going after and seems to have all of the major new features.

There are some z97 at $100. I'm looking at the yellow as rock since it matches the theme I'm going after and seems to have all of the major new features.

Yeah that's true but it seems a bit overkill the get a z97 for a pentium. (In my case.)

Yeah that's true but it seems a bit overkill the get a z97 for a pentium. (In my case.)

Its the only chipset that allows you to do everything the chip can do.

Earlier this month Asus announced that overclocking would be available on H81, H87, B85, and other motherboards with a BIOS change - http://thepcenthusiast.com/asus-h97-h87-b85-and-h81-motherboards-overclock-unlock-processors/.

Yeah but like we said, Intel might include microcode in a widows update that will render using those useless for overclocking. :/

Its the only chipset that allows you to do everything the chip can do.

But asus DID say that with a bios update the the older boards can OC.

But asus DID say that with a bios update the the older boards can OC.

That not the only features a Z chipset enables.

the g3258 is fully overclocking compatible with both z97 and z87 chipsets. no bios update will be required

4hruj8.png

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

the g3258 is fully overclocking compatible with both z97 and z87 chipsets. no bios update will be required

4hruj8.png

likely still needs BIOS update to get the processor ID code

That not the only features a Z chipset enables.

But Intel wants people to buy the z series so they will likely not support the new devils canyon ocing on older boards like the H series.

True but not everyone want/need all of the z97 features.

I DO :D

I considered doing a full loop with this pentium a 750 Ti but the cost ouch!

likely still needs BIOS update to get the processor ID code

Im fairly confident the g3258 will ship with mei verson 9.0 rather than 9.1.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Im fairly confident the g3258 will ship with mei verson 9.0 rather than 9.1.

no im missing a feature :(