Lenovo Y500 screen artifacts when moving display past around 90°

Bluethulhu

I've had this problem for a while now, but I'm not sure what is causing it. When I move my display past about 90°, I get these artifacts (as shown below), and sometimes only on certain colors (usually blacks) when it is below 90. I have a dual boot between Windows 7 and Linux Mint on my laptop, and the problem seems worse on Windows (I can move it back a bit more in Linux). I would also like to know if this would be easy to fix myself, or if I should send it in. I don't have a problem with repairing electronics, but since it's a laptop, there is more risk than when working on something like a desktop. I apologize for the low-quality image, it's not very bright in the room I took the pictures and I used my phone.

Basic specs:

i7-3630QM

GTX 650M SLI

8GB RAM

1920x1080 display

AbXKeKJ.jpg

2an1Gs8.jpg

WURxS7S.jpg

YeMLf3C.jpg

Spoiler

hmm if you say when you open the lid more than 90 degree and this happens

it the display internal cable is broken in some way

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

better to send the laptop for repairs

it hardware related issue

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.