I am working on my first Gaming PC build and what i have so far is a Asus sabertooth Z97 mach 1 MB, Asus GTX 780 GPU, I7 4790k CPU, Corsair 100h CPU Cooler, Corsair RM750 PSU, optica drive, and ssd+HHD for storage. Phantom 530 case.

My first question is what OS do you recommend?  i was planing win 7 64 but is there any advantage to 8.1?

2nd the case has a built in fan control, should i use that or the fan control on the motherboard?

3rd what Ram do you recommend and why? thinking 16GB to start. my question is all the other numbers.

4th  do i just run the OS on the SSD or save games and programs on it to? only use HHD for files, pics, music?

think i asked enough question for one post, thanks for all your feedback and help

FpsStang

don't do what I did. don't think that the gt 610 was the best gpu out there. I beg that you don't..

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

1. Windows 8.1
  2. Doesnt really matter. Although PWM adjusting on mobo will be easier and more precise.
  3. 1866+ 8GB..... 2133mhz is the sweet spot right now and it doesnt cost any more than 1866mhx. 8GB is fine for most builds.
  4. Depending on size of SSD, put Windows on SSD and also you favorite games if they fit, but leave a few gigs empty.

It is going to be a really good build though,  ask as many questions as needed!

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

don't do what I did. don't think that the gt 610 was the best gpu out there. I beg that you don't..

? When did he mention the 610? That build of his is fine and will be great for gaming...

elaborate 

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

8.1 is newer and faster (once you get the hang of Metro), go for that.

If your fans are 3 pin, feel free to use the case fan controller.

16 is overkill for GAMING, if you do anything like Photoshop or video editing, 16 is the sweet spot.

If your SSD is big enough for it, feel free to put the OS+whatever

Also, the i5 is enough for pure gaming, unless you need hyperthreading. But, your choice whether or not you go i7 or i5.

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

1. Windows 8.1
  2. Doesnt really matter. Although PWM adjusting on mobo will be easier and more precise.
  3. 1866+ 8GB..... 2133mhz is the sweet spot right now and it doesnt cost any more than 1866mhx. 8GB is fine for most builds.
  4. Depending on size of SSD, put Windows on SSD and also you favorite games if they fit, but leave a few gigs empty.

It is going to be a really good build though,  ask as many questions as needed!

I do some video editing for my YouTube channel, that's why i'm going with 16GB. one thing i'm confused is the box on the MB says supports Ram up to 1600 but then the manual shows all the speeds are supported? Sabertooth Z97 mach 1.

My I7 4790k was delayed but hopping to get it by Wednesday if its not delayed again. then all i need is my OS and RAM and can start building.  Any brand recommendation for Ram for my system? again thanks for the help  

I do some video editing for my YouTube channel, that's why i'm going with 16GB. one thing i'm confused is the box on the MB says supports Ram up to 1600 but then the manual shows all the speeds are supported? Sabertooth Z97 mach 1.

It supports 1866 also. 1600 isnt that great anymore and is being outdated. Soon 1866 will also be. Thats the beauty of the PC :P

16 is good for video editing than..

Current 

My I7 4790k was delayed but hopping to get it by Wednesday if its not delayed again. then all i need is my OS and RAM and can start building.  Any brand recommendation for Ram for my system? again thanks for the help  

corsair, g.skill (good and cheap!), Kingston, HyperX...

any of those that are cheap and have good reviews are fine!:)

Current