Hi guys, so this evening my processor keeps over heating while not doing anything, I have a Corsair H60 installed and it obviously isn't doing it's job, I can't work out what its problem might be. The fan works and is spinning at max voltage as it's being told to do that because the cpu gets too hot, the rad isn't dusty as I checked it and I have only it had it a month and the pump still works (as far as I know) because I can hear it working when I plugged it in and turned on my PC without it actually being installed. I have had to go back to using my stock cooler. Got any ideas as to what it might be?

Specs (if needed):

CPU: i5-3570k (stock speeds)

Mobo: Asus p8-h61mx2

GPU: HD7770

RAM: 8GB 1333mhz

PSU: Cooler Master Elite 500w

Can you tell us your idle and load temperatures?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Is it the wrong thread?

No we need to know the temps to get an idea if it is performing within spec or there is an issue then progress from there.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Before these problems idle: 27.5C Load: 51C

But with these problems idle after half an hour of being on it overheats and my PC shuts its self down

Have you checked if the cooler is loose?

Might want to tighten the screws or whatever mounting it uses. 

Also make sure that the tubes are properly permeable.

Yeah I have made sure it is mounted correctly and everything was working fine this morning, I was gaming fine went out for a few hours, came back turned on my PC half an hour later with it just being on it decided it was too hot

Maybe the pump is broken or doesn't have enough power so it runs slower which leads to higher temps. 

I was thinking the pump is broken and I don't think power is an issue as I am running it off my PSU direct using a 4 pin molex to 3x3pin fan connector and the rest of my pc probably doesn't even come close to using 500w

I was thinking the pump is broken and I don't think power is an issue as I am running it off my PSU direct using a 4 pin molex to 3x3pin fan connector and the rest of my pc probably doesn't even come close to using 500w

Sounds like your pump is broken, put your hand on the pump casing, can you feel any vibration or hear anything that indicates the pump is running at all?

Sounds like your pump is broken, put your hand on the pump casing, can you feel any vibration or hear anything that indicates the pump is running at all?

Yeah I can feel it vibrating

I have no experience in this so take this advice with a grain of salt.

Turn off/unplug the fan for a few minutes then feel the radiator. If the radiator is hot, then the pump isnt broken (because its circulating water). If the radiator is cold, then the pump is doing nothing.

Again this isnt from experience, just seems logical.

I have no experience in this so take this advice with a grain of salt.

Turn off/unplug the fan for a few minutes then feel the radiator. If the radiator is hot, then the pump isnt broken (because its circulating water). If the radiator is cold, then the pump is doing nothing.

Again this isnt from experience, just seems logical.

The rad doesn't get too warm but the pipe carrying the water from the block to the rad does, so I'm guessing the pump is working

I have bought new thermal compound as I am just using the stock stuff that came on the block, There doesn't seem to actually be much of it, so I will apply the new stuff soon and see if that helps