Corsair H100i vs Swiftech H220 vs Justification Of Spending That Money

After watching about eleventynine videos i figured I "needed" to switch from air to an AiO watercooling solution. :rolleyes:

Right now I'm using a Prolimatech Mega Shadow with 2x Xigmatek XLF-F1253 LED to keep my i7-2600K @4.2GHz running.

Highest temp so far was 72C with an ambient around 24C. That was without any GPU load though.

I'd eventually like to raise the multi some more and wonder if spending 150-200 currency is really worth it.

What kind of improvement should I be seeing with either H100i or H200 and 2x Noctua NF-F12

Either should fit into my Cooler Master 840 case. I'm already using the 3x120er rails to hold two NB-eLoop B12-2 fans.

H100i vs H220 should be easy when it comes to performance. However, the H220 pump issues scare me.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1367654/swiftech-h220-owners-club

Reading through the thread it felt like a lot of people were having issues with either debris or trapped air killing the pump,

having to RMA up to three times. That sounds seriously annoying.

At the moment the H220 isn't really available anywhere in Europe anyway, or so it seems. There was one Dutch store,

that wanted 140 + 10 for shipping. However, I read that Swiftech moved their production sites and already picked up

again. They expected deliveries somewhen around mid-May. Aquacomputer has already ordered. So that's just a matter

of time really. And it's still not helping with my pump scare.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks :D

I have the H100i and it performs great,

I have my FX-8350 at 4.7 with load temps of 62C

I think its worth it for the performance, looks, and less noise (if you replace the fans)

Honestly, You're not doing anything crazy for overclocking, why not just get a Noctua NH-D14. It's beast, it's quiet and if a fan fails it's easy to replace.

I had an H100 and when my pump failed I was without a computer for a week until I could get an NH-D14

Having said that, I would get an H220 over an H100i any day. If you're going to have an AiO, you might as well have the best AiO

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

After watching about eleventynine videos i figured I "needed" to switch from air to an AiO watercooling solution. :rolleyes:

Right now I'm using a Prolimatech Mega Shadow with 2x Xigmatek XLF-F1253 LED to keep my i7-2600K @4.2GHz running.

Highest temp so far was 72C with an ambient around 24C. That was without any GPU load though.

H100i vs H220 should be easy when it comes to performance. However, the H220 pump issues scare me.

Reading through the thread it felt like a lot of people were having issues with either debris or trapped air killing the pump,

if you are 72° on air, on an AIO h2o with two fan radiator, you'll be 58°-60°, push/pull drop

another 4°.

ive already helped three members with noisey pump problems with a easy solution 

if the pump has not been run too long and dry ran the impeller. LINKY verification on noise LINKY

I still like the old H100 without all the phoo-phoo push or pull or push/pull. less to go wrong and

had only one RMA for fan controller. never a pump failure and have installed over a dozen.

almost at the end of a test cycle using swiftech helix 120 fans p/p and love the performance and

low noise-level.

airdeano

Thanks for the replies :)

Honestly, You're not doing anything crazy for overclocking, why not just get a Noctua NH-D14. It's beast, it's quiet and if a fan fails it's easy to replace.

Between the Noctua and the Prolimatech one there are at best a few degrees difference - wouldn't make any sense.

Hmm...not to be a pain..but..with the cost of the Swiftech AIO close to  the cost of a CPU only custom loop..why not just spent  the extra little bit and build your own..? 

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/kits-cases/kits/ek-kit-l240.html

Yeah I've seen those sets, but those things frankly scare me a bit. I have zero experience with water cooling, have no idea how to fit the additional items in.

With the AiO, it's just the radiator. If I switch to custom, I'll have to find a place for the pump, need another reservoir and all that has to fit somewhere.

I also immediately think of adding the GPU to the loop and that's really screwing with the budget.

if you are 72° on air, on an AIO h2o with two fan radiator, you'll be 58°-60°, push/pull drop

another 4°.

ive already helped three members with noisey pump problems with a easy solution 

if the pump has not been run too long and dry ran the impeller. LINKY verification on noise LINKY

I still like the old H100 without all the phoo-phoo push or pull or push/pull. less to go wrong and

had only one RMA for fan controller. never a pump failure and have installed over a dozen.

almost at the end of a test cycle using swiftech helix 120 fans p/p and love the performance and

low noise-level.

airdeano

Awesome, thanks :)

I figured the air pockets wouldn't be as much of a problem if you give it a "dry run" (pun intended :P) for a couple hours.

What's still gnawing at me is the debris issue.

What's still gnawing at me is the debris issue.

every system will have crap in the flush.. it is the nature of manufacturing.

you can pay more for extra attention, but the masses are already screaming

too high now.. hence justification threads..

airdeano

every system will have crap in the flush.. it is the nature of manufacturing.

you can pay more for extra attention, but the masses are already screaming

too high now.. hence justification threads..

airdeano

I get that when you build a custom loop, but it must not happen with AiOs. They're sealed and ready to use. You're not supposed to take them apart.

So the H220 is not an exception? I will find that with the H100i for example as well?

the sealed systems are not exempt from floating crap in them. if anything

prolly more so as they make thousands monthly..

manufacturing a radiator is where most of it comes from. loose solder beads,

flux, and material debris. once the end tanks are soldered onto the core it

insides rarely see the light of day again. and yes,especially mass-manufacturing!

airdeano

the sealed systems are not exempt from floating crap in them. if anything

prolly more so as they make thousands monthly..

manufacturing a radiator is where most of it comes from. loose solder beads,

flux, and material debris. once the end tanks are soldered onto the core it

insides rarely see the light of day again. and yes,especially mass-manufacturing!

airdeano

I expected the AiOs to get a little more love, an extra soak and flush.

That's rather discouraging then.

not at those retail price points that are out there.. not that much love can be bought.

you'd understand if you have manufacturing background.. the cats making all the

bigger margins are the distros.. not the mannies.

airdeano

I still maintain a build it yourself policy..better control over the finished product. For me it is a hobby and not just a means to an end..do some more research..ask as many questions as you can think of... 

and make an informed decision..either way the choice is yours to make..

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

I still maintain a build it yourself policy..better control over the finished product. For me it is a hobby and not just a means to an end..do some more research..ask as many questions as you can think of... 

and make an informed decision..either way the choice is yours to make..

I usually do too, at least when it comes to systems. Hell, I wouldn't manufacture any cable myself anymore, even with a gun to my head. LOL Just thought of all those patch cables roughly 150 years ago.

So all those replies are pushing me more and more towards a custom WC solution. That pretty much kills the budget and will need more time for thinking and saving.

It practically begs for the GPU to befitted in as well.

Thanks for the input, guys :D

start with CPU loop (like the H220 but proper) then add to it when budget allows.

then you get a sense on what it is all about and how to make sound purchases

with minimal to no help at all.. if you buy the right parts up front, the additionals will

easily integrate into the build. XSPC Raystorm D5/RX kit is awesome. add distilled

water and a kill coil.. bazinga.. doneski..

airdeano

• 4 months later...

I had an H100 and when my pump failed I was without a computer for a week until I could get an NH-D14

Having said that, I would get an H220 over an H100i any day. If you're going to have an AiO, you might as well have the best AiO

Using stock fans at quit mode, overclocked as high as it will go!

Temps don't ever cross 75-80C! And at MIDNIGHT when my ears ar very low noise sensitive (duh?)i don't notice the fans unless i focus adn TRY to hear them! Someone could sleep with their ears to the case* and be fine!

* using arc midi r2 with case fans to 5v

Plus it's $50 cheaper, that's 50% of the h100i cost!

As linus said (i recommeneded the h100 more then a 100 times) I will recommend the h100i 100 more times!

I have never used the h220 though so i personally don't know!

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

I'd eventually like to raise the multi some more and wonder if spending 150-200 currency is really worth it.

What kind of improvement should I be seeing with either H100i or H200 and 2x Noctua NF-F12

Either should fit into my Cooler Master 840 case. I'm already using the 3x120er rails to hold two NB-eLoop B12-2 fans.

At the moment the H220 isn't really available anywhere in Europe anyway, or so it seems. There was one Dutch store,

that wanted 140 + 10 for shipping. However, I read that Swiftech moved their production sites and already picked up

again. They expected deliveries somewhen around mid-May. Aquacomputer has already ordered. So that's just a matter

of time really. And it's still not helping with my pump scare.

That's a bit high, my I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz hits 78*C on aida64, around 73*C if I put the side fan on rather than the window.  But I only have a Hyper 212 with a single fan.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

H220 just murders the H100i...

get non stock fans tho. H220 stock fans kinda suck. But still good either way.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.