Swiftech H220 Issue

So I picked up a Swiftech H220 this morning, came home, and installed it in my rig. This is my first liquid cooler, but I'm guessing something is not quite right. While it is keeping the temperatures down on my CPU, I can hear the coolant flowing constantly. It sounds like someone left the sink on in the other room. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

You do not have enough coolant in the radiator. You are hearing the a mini waterfall inside your reservoir inside your radiator.

Which way around did you mount the radiator. That could be a main cause.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

You do not have enough coolant in the radiator. You are hearing the a mini waterfall inside your reservoir inside your radiator.

Which way around did you mount the radiator. That could be a main cause.

Since I have a Fractal Design Define R4, I mounted the radiator with the fans in a push configuration. That's how it was shown on the Swiftech Website in this particular case. Think I should try flipping it around?

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

Since I have a Fractal Design Define R4, I mounted the radiator with the fans in a push configuration. That's how it was shown on the Swiftech Website in this particular case. Think I should try flipping it around?

Take a picture or the radiator and show us.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

try this sol;ution in this thread: H220 Very Loud

verify the res service port it pointed up, tilt case to make the service port the

highest point and circulate/cycle the pump for 5-10min intervals. you may

even can see to slow down pump speed. if pump s maxed, the air bubbles

are whipped and will not dissipate because the pump is too fast. 

alleged the retails were to be vacuum filled (which makes no sense, as item

is not in any one position during shipping and they are not filled to capacity,

due to thermal expansion of coolant). kinda sounds like what linus went

through on primary H220 testing.

i learned some of this using an apogee drive 2 (not an adventure) to get air

lock out of pump base. similar setup to the H220 system. good luck!

airdeano

read the thread and you'll prolly says it is the same issue..

member had same issues and this seemed to have fixed it.

airdeano

try this sol;ution in this thread: H220 Very Loud

read the thread and you'll prolly says it is the same issue..

member had same issues and this seemed to have fixed it.

airdeano

It does sound exactly like the same issue. I even exchanged the H220 for another one and have the exact same problem with this one. I just wish there was an easy fix.

look at this thread post #2, same guy -> LINKY

I've got to say, after getting the air out of my pump, the h220 is super quiet. The stock cooler on my evga 660ti is louder than the pump now.

because of the process, the systems will never be fully filled. and from shipping they will get

tossed and roughed up. so you will have to do your part to finish the process. proper installation

is also a part of the process to reduce premature failure.. welcome to the world of PC modifications.

airdeano

I finally managed to get rid of the waterfall sound. The pump is still pretty loud, however. I'm just going to keep my machine running for awhile and hope the pump noise resolves itself.

keep cycling the pump and allow the air to escape to the reservoir.

keep the pump rpm low as well..

tipping the case back-n-forth does help. especially keeping the res

as the highest point. you do have the reservoir fill port mounted up?

some have complained that they can't mount it like that and turn the

whole assembly up-side down. which blocks the air return.

airdeano

keep cycling the pump and allow the air to escape to the reservoir.

keep the pump rpm low as well..

tipping the case back-n-forth does help. especially keeping the res

as the highest point. you do have the reservoir fill port mounted up?

some have complained that they can't mount it like that and turn the

whole assembly up-side down. which blocks the air return.

airdeano

I do have the reservoir fill port mounted upward. I have been following your instructions, as well as those of some guys at Overclock.net, including the cycling, low RPMS, and the tilting. I haven't even had this unit for a day yet, so it will hopefully just be a matter of time before these noise issues get resolved. It has all been rather annoying, but I will say I am impressed with the cooling performance. My 2600K at stock settings has yet to exceed 55°C with large FFTs in Prime95.

stock? ohh my!? what ambient temperature? that's not all that good for stock..

airdeano

stock? ohh my!? what ambient temperature? that's not all that good for stock..

airdeano

Well, I don't know the exact ambient temperature, but it is pretty warm in the room due to the number of lights I've had on all day (so I could see what I was doing while fiddling with the radiator).