$800 USD Gaming Rig - I Need Some Help.

Hey there,

I'm looking for a $750 - $900 USD gaming PC. I'm looking to play most (if not all) games in high - ultra settings at a reasonable FPS. Probably looking to buy at the end of this summer, or at least some time before the end of this year.

• Budget: I'm looking at around $750 - $900 USD MAX, I really can't afford anything more than this, if it's going to hit 900 than that price will *need* to include a copy of windows.

• Location: I live in Singapore, There aren't really any well known mega-stores that to tech stuff, but there are a few reputable  sources that are fine. A couple of online places, some others, and Sim-Lim square. (over 150 computer hardware stores. That place blew my mind). I'm not sure if prices of certain hardware is cheaper over here, but i think they are. Think.

• Use: I'm looking for gaming, 90% gaming. Yes, i need it to do some other school things as well, so i need to keep that in mind. Games wise, Farcry. Farcry is love, Farcry is life. Haha, but it's not like i'm only going to play FC3(/4).

• Parts: I have no real preference, i guess I like intel stuff, but that's just as i know a bit more about them than others. I have no, absolutely no parts to reuse. Sucks eh?

• Overclocking: I have no plans to oc, I just can't afford for anything to go wrong. I'm a poor teenager that's been saving up for this for a stupid amount of time. I really just don't want to melt my cpu or something. That would be terrible.

• OS: I do need an operating system. Most likely Windows ( Windows 7 or 8? Which is better? ). It will most likely be windows as I'm currently on a mac... I know. It's terrible ( I need it for school, i have no choice but to have/use it ) . But i've been limited to what games i can play for over 3 years now, I need to be able to find a game i like, buy it, download it, play it. The amount of games that i've gone; "Oo look! an amazing game! Lemme' just buy this. Oh wait. It's Windows only. Fuck you mac. 

• Peripherals: Honestly, I just need some advice in what to look for. I'm basically just going to go out to some mega tech store, and find the cheapest monitor/mouse/keyboard i can find. If you could tell me what to look for when buying each, so i don't end up with a monitor with a refresh rate of 10. These don't come under budget.

• Wireless Card: Yup, i do. I've got a pretty fancy wifi router thing set up, but i also need to figure out how to get it to reach my basement ( Where the computer shall be used)

• Case Features: I live in Singapore, Under no circumstances ever. EVER. Can i use a white case. My parents old work pc had a white case, and about a month later it was yellow, like piss colour. Yuck. I like bulk. Things like the HAF series are some of the coolest looking things i have ever seen, only problem is that they're hella' expensive. 

Below i shall attempt to put in some pcpartpicker ideas that my limited knowledge and over 100+ hours (Yes, i've counted. I have spent ages) have managed to put together. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($379.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1028.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 00:22 EDT-0400

^^ This above one was my first attempt at putting some pieces together. It went way, WAY overprice. But i guess it's ok, i think. right?

Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.49 @ Amazon) 
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $847.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 00:23 EDT-0400

^^ This above one was a response that somebody made to be on reddit.com , It fits the budget pretty well, but i have no idea if this would actually work, if it's any good, yeah.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($347.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $865.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 00:24 EDT-0400

^^ This last one is my second look at this whole shinazzle. It's a slightly better price,  but i would have to figure out a better(cheaper) way to get windows. 

(Note: I have checked with my school, they don't provide windows/any discount on stuff, and i would prefer to keep 'em outta this. Cheers)

So, uh, thanks if you actually read all the way down to here, and an even bigger thanks if you actually helped me with this. 

Cheers,

Mad_Gibbon

Best first post ever.

For the last one, you can get a windows key on G2A.com for like $30-$40.

Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.49 @ Amazon) 
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $847.33

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($347.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $865.84

You can get cheap copies of windows from G2a.com. I'd suggest W7 over W8. 

The 770 is better than the 280x, but not by a huge amount, so you're probably better off going with the 280x and putting the money you saved toward peripherals/life.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The reddit build is quite good, It will work, the B85 is the Intel "business" chipset, but it has pretty much all the features you need and it's cheaper than other solutions.

The R9 280X is not as beastly as the 770 but it's a minor difference, you are still going to max out whatever you throw at it (you can always turn down AA on some heavy games).

I'm not a fan of the HAF 912, A source 210 Elite can beat it every day.

Regarding memory, get the cheaper kit you can find, there is no benefit going for the Corsair Pro, and that stuff.

I like Windows 8 a lot more than W7, it's a bit more optimized on some games and it will make them run better. If you can't stand the Metro UI, just get something like Start is Back. Besides it runs a bit faster (they got rid of Aero).

Okay,

UPDATE:

- Going to go for windows 8, by finding a cheaper place/website to buy it from

- Definitely not going HAF 912, i like the sound of the source 210 Elite, good price. What's the airflow like? And do all components fit?

- Sounds like the Corsair Pro isn't a good idea, what are some brands that i can trust? I understand that i need to go for the cheapest (right?), but what brands should i be looking for? (There can be a lot of cheap rip of chinese brands that just sell you a lump of plastic)

- Still looking at GPUs, Obviously the 770 is about as beastly as i can afford (Will it get bottlenecked by anything?), but it sounds like the R9 280X is also a reasonable option. Apparently the R9 is slightly cheaper, but for basically the same stats, is this true? 

Are there any other GPUs that i should be looking at? Or are these the best i can afford?

Still need info on:

- GPU

- Wireless Card

- PSU

- Windows 8 is better right?

- Cases - Airflow on source 210 elite? Any other good ideas? (Good brands)
- Ram (Good brands)

- Is chosen storage good? Any better deals? (Good brands)

- Which Motherboard should i use? Are mine and the reddit build's the same? Which is better?

@Mad_Gibbon

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($86.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($74.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card  ($279.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill N600PCE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($24.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $904.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 02:23 EDT-0400

I haven't chosen a case for you as there are just far too many options that would be suitable. The SSD will help with load times and more importantly will greatly improve general quickness in Windows.

If you plan on getting the Windows key from G4A or wherever else, you have plenty of money for a case.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

280x and 770 are pretty similar performance wise. The 770 is almost always superior, but it's really not a huge difference.

Don't know much about wireless cards, but any from a reputable company are probably fine.

Corsair, cooler master, silver stone, and antec all make very good power supplies., you can go to johnyguru.com for detailed reviews on psu's. And for a single gpu anything from 550w-650w is good (anything more is just overkill, but future proof).

Windows 8 vs 7 is a matter of personal preference.

Corsair carbide 200r, cooler master haf912, nzxt source 210, all pretty solid choices.

Ram: g. Skill, crucial, corsair, team Vulcan (Vulcan is the cheapest and 2 4gb sticks can be had for $65).

I personally prefer western digital to segate anyway, but either is fine. Although I would try and get a 120gb ssd for the os as it makes everything much faster.

Gigabyte, Msi, asus, and asrock make great boards. Pretty much any will fine. Since you're not getting an overcloclable CPU,, you should be looking at h87/97* chipset boards.

*h97 is the successor to the h87, but not much really changed, and since you're on a right budget you should go for the cheaper version (almost always h87).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Still need info on:

- GPU

- Wireless Card

- PSU

- Windows 8 is better right?

- Cases - Airflow on source 210 elite? Any other good ideas? (Good brands)

- Ram (Good brands)

- Is chosen storage good? Any better deals? (Good brands)

- Which Motherboard should i use? Are mine and the reddit build's the same? Which is better?

- Choose between 770 and 280X. Both perform similarly.

- Any reputable brand will be fine (see my previous post)

- Yes, it is better, though choosing Windows 7 isn't a bad decision.

- Way too many 50$ cases you could choose from. Anything from here will be fine: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/case/#t=3,2,5&p=0&s=1&u=1&sort=a8&m=52,169,50,11,57,106,58,62,94,229,51,63,56,87,60&c=6,10,12,13,14,16,17,19,20,21,22

- Kingston Fury series looks really excellent right now.

- Yes, add an SSD however (see my previous post)

- Anything from Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, AsRock.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Okay, I've looked back over things. So far, with everything included, it totals just below my budget. Not bad.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI H87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($102.12 @ Mwave) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($319.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($35.98 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill N600PCE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($24.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $883.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-17 06:37 EDT-0400

I guess i just need someone now to verify that:

- All of this stuff fits (As in compatible)
- Works together
- Is worth the price
- I've made the right choices

And also how prices fluctuate, will this all be cheaper in a couple of months?

Cheers,

for all of your help you lovely, amazing people.
Edited by Mad_Gibbon

Also, when is the best time to buy PC parts? Are there certain times of the year that everything is cheaper?

Or am i just best off getting the components when i can?

Cheers,

Gibbon

Also, when is the best time to buy PC parts? Are there certain times of the year that everything is cheaper?

Or am i just best off getting the components when i can?

Cheers,

Gibbon

ah fellow Singaporean here

typically during IT fairs or shows will they have some sort of sale for PC parts combos

you can check the pricelist online from Hardwarezone.com.sg or personally visit Sim Lim Square and take a look at the printed pricelist

during the Holiday period like Dec will be the massive discounts before Xmas if you can wait that long

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.