Gigabyte 780 vs 780 Ti

Santa_Dwarf

I own a 780 Ti Superclocked edition from EVGA.  Let me tell you I was in the same position.  Ultimately what made me choose was that if I bought the 780, I would never forgive myself for not buying the Ti...The Ti is an absolute MONSTER with some watercooling and a good overclock, it blows any, yes any, 780 out of the water.  Now, if you aren't willing to spend the extra dough, the 780 is still a great card, as proven in this thread.  

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

I own a 780 Ti Superclocked edition from EVGA.  Let me tell you I was in the same position.  Ultimately what made me choose was that if I bought the 780, I would never forgive myself for not buying the Ti...The Ti is an absolute MONSTER with some watercooling and a good overclock, it blows any, yes any, 780 out of the water.  Now, if you aren't willing to spend the extra dough, the 780 is still a great card, as proven in this thread.  

well... if you just have a look at the score on top comparing a 3.2k 780 Ti Superclocked and my 3.5k on a 780 Classy...

Id be happy if you shared your valley score too 

For me i would only go KPE or 780 TI Classy. Superclocked is definitely a nono since I can outperform it with a 780 Classy 

well... if you just have a look at the score on top comparing a 3.2k 780 Ti Superclocked and my 3.5k on a 780 Classy...

Id be happy if you shared your valley score too 

For me i would only go KPE or 780 TI Classy. Superclocked is definitely a nono since I can outperform it with a 780 Classy 

You actually used my score as your reference in an above post, but, my score can be/is much higher now that it is watercooled.  I made sure my card never let itself go over 72 degrees (when it was air cooled only) during that run, which turned out to be a pretty good hit in performance.  I'll post a picture of another run either by the end of tonight, or tomorrow.  Also, I am seriously impressed, as stated earlier, with your 780.  How did you manage such a good OC?

Project Insomnia

CPU: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.6 GHz.   CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x40   Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme6   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8Gb.   Graphics Card: EVGA SC Geforce GTX 780 Ti   Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W   Case: NZXT H440

You actually used my score as your reference in an above post, but, my score can be/is much higher now that it is watercooled.  I made sure my card never let itself go over 72 degrees (when it was air cooled only) during that run, which turned out to be a pretty good hit in performance.  I'll post a picture of another run either by the end of tonight, or tomorrow.  Also, I am seriously impressed, as stated earlier, with your 780.  How did you manage such a good OC?

Thanks for the kind words! Im sorry i used yours for comparison i didnt realise it....

Mine is on the skynet bios and using the classified tool i can increase the voltage just like KPE or the 780 Ti. This is why i said get a 780 Ti Classy or 780 Classy because you can really up the ante in performance. I dont think SC versions can change the voltage... 

I can do 1.35v 24/7 running over 1400mhz stable for benching...

but mostly i dont need that power since at 1240 i can use stock voltage and be stable there...so i just keep it there since i can max any game out already 

I look forward to seeing yours on water! it's a beast too no doubt 

Here is a good review from Termie over @ Anandtech

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2386778

I would personally grab a R9 290 and save the rest of your money for a 20nm card when they come out. Spending $700 for a 28nm card this late in the game is kind of a waste of money IMO. Especially when you can guy two R9 290's for $100 more. 

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

Thanks for the kind words! Im sorry i used yours for comparison i didnt realise it....

Mine is on the skynet bios and using the classified tool i can increase the voltage just like KPE or the 780 Ti. This is why i said get a 780 Ti Classy or 780 Classy because you can really up the ante in performance. I dont think SC versions can change the voltage... 

I can do 1.35v 24/7 running over 1400mhz stable for benching...

but mostly i dont need that power since at 1240 i can use stock voltage and be stable there...so i just keep it there since i can max any game out already 

I look forward to seeing yours on water! it's a beast too no doubt 

Here is mine, granted, not quite as high as yours, but this is with straight overclocking only, no voltage increase.  I like to think my 780 Ti is a pretty nice pickup as far as the silicon lottery goes. The cooling I'm using is currently a temporary Kraken G10 with a Kraken X40 combo.  (I'm a college student and am waiting for an apartment/permanent domicile before I spend even more on my rig...)  Anyways! Yeah, this is my score. Also, I'd overclock higher, but my current clock speed isn't too bad for an SC version, and I'm afraid I'd run into stability issues if I went farther.  

Secondly, I am quite curious about upping voltages, and will either a.) start a new thread where you, and others can help me. Or b.) will just PM you. 

post-80890-0-98183500-1403051931_thumb.j

Project Insomnia

Hey mate good score there.

I dont think u can overvolt an SC though

Only classys are able to beyond 1.212

And it wouldnt be wise to overvolt much on a g10 because the vrms will go crazy. Even on full cover blocks (my EK FC) im getting 80-90 deg on vrms

Yes indeed i think you hit the silicon lottery there mate

I have a 780ti. And If you are only going to go with a single card the 780ti is the best choice however. Given the choice to go back. I would get a 6gb780 and use the money i saved to get another 6gb 780 somewhere down the line for SLi.

The 780's performance is already extremely fucking good. Yes, the 780ti does have even more performance, but at that level it's pretty much not worth the extra money.