Pentium Anniversary to be overclockable on MSI H97

LukaP

http://www.techpowerup.com/202040/leaked-bios-enables-pentium-anniversary-edition-oc-on-some-msi-h97-boards.html

A set of leaked BIOS'es surfaced on the web, which apparently enable overclocking of Intel's Pentium Anniversary Edition unlocked dual-core chips, on three of MSI's motherboards based on Intel's H97 Express chipset (which is not supposed to support CPU overclocking). Among these motherboards are the H97M-G43, H97 Guard-Pro, and H97 PC-Mate. All three boards are apparently able to overclock the 3.20 GHz chip all the way up to 4.50 GHz, with a simple crank of the BClk multiplier up to 45.0x. Such a BIOS making it to the web is interesting, because the company released statements in the past, opposing overclocking on H87 and B85 chipset-based motherboards, when the likes of ASRock, ASUS, and Gigabyte released beta BIOSes to support it, before Intel cracked down on them. Given that MSI uses common PCB designs across some 8-series and 9-series chipset motherboards (eg: MS-7850), it will be interesting to see how MSI plugs the leak.

interesting stuff :) hope MSI doesnt shut it donw somehow as thats the point of the Pentium, overclock for cheap.

BIOS DOWNLOAD LINK FROM TPU

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

ermahgerd major hax.

That is rather interesting, I would be interested to find out how MSI deal with this.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

I'm going to get this Pentium just to have it, ill worry about getting a system to put it in later, and worry about what I'm going to do with this system even later

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

I'm going to get this Pentium just to have it, ill worry about getting a system to put it in later, and worry about what I'm going to do with this system even later

I have the same plan

http://www.techpowerup.com/202040/leaked-bios-enables-pentium-anniversary-edition-oc-on-some-msi-h97-boards.html

interesting stuff :) hope MSI doesnt shut it donw somehow as thats the point of the Pentium, overclock for cheap.

BIOS DOWNLOAD LINK FROM TPU

Gigabyte's Z97 Gaming 5 is almost as cheap as these, more featureful and better quality overall. If you do plan on picking a Pentium up for overclocking, you might as well just buy a Z97 and then retire your chip to an HTPC, media rig/mITX build, or sell it to someone who will benefit from it and upgrade to an i5/i7 or 5th Gen Intel Core processor later on. It's a novelty overclocking CPU, not something that is/will be a performance powerhouse, so you should look into expanding beyond it unless you're picking it up casually because you have the money.

Btw, the Gaming 5 is considered the cheapest considerable overclocking mobo for LGA1155 Devils Canyon chips. It's not far off the best boards out there in terms of the combination of VRM quality and phases.

RIP not being able to chain-quote.

... LGA1155 Devils Canyon chips.

Was concerned that I lacked information and had to google the socket for Devils Canyon. Considerably less worried now.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

Was concerned that I lacked information and had to google the socket for Devils Canyon. Considerably less worried now.

DC is the same as hasswel. works on z87 and z97

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

DC is the same as hasswel. works on z87 and z97

No it isn't, on the WAN show a guest from Asus told us.

However some motherboards will be able to have Devil's Canyon but it will require a BIOS update and will probably be a bit of hassle for no reason (because someone buying a new Devil's Canyon would probably buy z97), so not every manufacturer would do that.

EDIT: (cause shouldn't really double-post)

Oh btw please check around if someone else has already posted the article

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/166020-h97-overclocking/

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!

I was really excited about this new unlocked Pentium, but now I'm not so impressed. I was expecting 5GHz on a beefy tower cooler.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300