SSD or GPU ?

WR10

I'm not sure where to ask this question as I can't find a place for my topic so I thought might as well post it here.

My question is should I get

1) 120GB SSD ( boot drive + GTX650Ti/ Radeon 7790

2) Radeon 7850/7870

I can game at high settings no problem , don't have to be ultra , I just want playable framerates . Once I purchased one of those , I don't see my self upgrading anything in the near future ..

I think the more bang for the buck with gaming would be the video card..but the more bang for the system as a whole would be the ssd..live large..get both..

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

for gaming (multiplayer) ssds dont help too much because usually the server you are on is slower

Single player is another thing for single player get ssd.

it depends on what you do more often

multiplayer= gpu

singleplayer=ssd

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

The SSD - Windows operations and doing day to day will appear hugely improved, however NO GAME performance Improves bar level loading and thats not every game either....

Get the GPU I'd say, Enabling a Higher tier of Graphic Fidelity to please your eyes,

Grab an ssd down the track, better Gaming at higher details while your saving for an SSD, yet if you bought the SSD you'd still be playing games at lower details... Which is frustrating you now already.

Get the 7850 OR....if you have 7870 kinda money saved, just a tad longer of a wait and you could afford the 7950, which is the best price to performance card right now.

Shiny!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

If I was you I would get the GPU and then later on when you can afoford the SSD buy that, that is what I am doing now :D Got a 660ti and saving up for an SSD, I may just use it as Cache though XD

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Get a 120GB SSD and a 7790(the 2GB version from gigabyte) if you don't care about ultra settings.

I cant stand a PC without a SSD nowadays.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

Make sense though , better gpu first , then SSD later . I've NEVER in real life experience a startup with a SSD so as long as I can manage to avoid that I think I'll be good to go :p

By the way , if I can grab a GTX570 at a slightly lower price than the 7870 , what do you guys say ? It's roughly around ( I direct convert to USD from my country currency ) $10 less than the 7870 .

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

well a 7870 is as good as a gtx 580 so i would spend the extra on the 7870 instead

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

SSD - faster load times (Windows, locally stored game content etc.)

GPU - Higher FPS

Most games are written to work well enough on mechanical drives, I would definitely go GPU.

For gaming, GPU is a necessity, SSD is a luxury. What cpu, mobo & psu do you have? 

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I think the more bang for the buck with gaming would be the video card..but the more bang for the system as a whole would be the ssd..live large..get both..

+1

i would go with a better GPU, like smjpl said SSD is a luxury.

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

If you intend to use a lot of Adobe software then you will want the SSD and 650TI, however. If you solely want to play games then get the 7870.

Personally i would get the SSD and 7790, although i play games I spend most of my time on a computer in a web browser and the games i do play don't require high end graphics cards.

What games will you be playing?

Make sense though , better gpu first , then SSD later . I've NEVER in real life experience a startup with a SSD so as long as I can manage to avoid that I think I'll be good to go :P

By the way , if I can grab a GTX570 at a slightly lower price than the 7870 , what do you guys say ? It's roughly around ( I direct convert to USD from my country currency ) $10 less than the 7870 .

I would get the 7870

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I'd put the money into a graphics card

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I'll be playing games which comes with the never settle bundle like Far Cry 3 , Hitman Absolution , Sleeping Dogs , then I have Dirt 3 , Dota 2. Im planning to buy assassin's creed series and GTA series . 

Alright , I have an idea on what to do now :) 

Thanks all ! Best forum ever. 

If you purely want the best gaming performance go with option 2. But if that is not the case (that is also what I read from you), option 1 is a very good choise and that SSD will be a great benefit for the entire pc other then gaming... 

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

If you purely want the best gaming performance go with option 2. But if that is not the case (that is also what I read from you), option 1 is a very good choise and that SSD will be a great benefit for the entire pc other then gaming...

I probably do

Gaming 60%

Web Browsing 20%

Movies 15%

5% - Others

Yes , I did say I'm fine with gaming not at ultra settings , I'm not the kind of person that want to max out everything , as long as I can get like playable framerates consistently , I'm fine with it. I probably have another option : 60GB for boot drive , browser , MS word etc , and a 7850 1GB

I probably do

Gaming 60%

Web Browsing 20%

Movies 15%

5% - Others

Yes , I did say I'm fine with gaming not at ultra settings , I'm not the kind of person that want to max out everything , as long as I can get like playable framerates consistently , I'm fine with it. I probably have another option : 60GB for boot drive , browser , MS word etc , and a 7850 1GB

Good thinking, also a very good option.. Maybe thats the best of both worlds? As you keep saying you dont want to max everything, but do have 60% on gaming. Maybe you knew the answer to your question afterall :D :D !! But with an SSD in your PC you cant go wrong, you will never want to go back. But 60Gbs is maybe a little to small? Start thinking 90Gbs and up.... Get a great price/performance SSD like a Crucial M4 and you are all set sir :D !

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

My boot drive is a 60 GB SSD.. you just need to be diligent at installing any software on you storage drive..and use a software utility to clear unwanted stuff from the SSD

I do think that a 60 GB SSD or larger if the price is with in your range  and a 7850 is a good upgrade..waiting for these items to go on sale never hurt anything either ..Have fun !!  

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

for gaming (multiplayer) ssds dont help too much because usually the server you are on is slower

Single player is another thing for single player get ssd.

it depends on what you do more often

multiplayer= gpu

singleplayer=ssd

Actually it is like this:

Multiplayer= GPU

Singleplayer= GPU

Loading times= SSD

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Actually it is like this:

Multiplayer= GPU

Singleplayer= GPU

Loading times= SSD

I like that rational very logical :-) +1

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

If I were me I would get a graphics card. SSD are for high end people with money to burn, they are currently not really worth it. Doesn't affect gaming performance, I'd rather get the 7870, a GIGANTIC leap over the 7790. SSDs will also possibly get cheaper in the future.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  •