Steam In Home Streaming Build

Phoenix66
Go to solution Solved by Guest Emrye,

My laptop has 2GB of RAM running Win7 Ultimate, and I can stream just fine. 

I've been wanting to have a PC to permanently go in my living room to run Steam in home streaming for quite some time. Surprisingly, it works really well when you have a wired internet connection.

I basically will only be using it for in home streaming, and possibly emulators for GBA, or N64. (I can configure Dolphin over in home streaming for wii/gamecube games) I was thinking about getting a Intel Nuc from amazon, and using a old laptop (That has a broken hinge by the screen) that has Windows 7, 4gb of ram, and a 500gb WD Blue 2.5 inch hard drive. Since the CPU and other parts are too old to do pretty much anything, I would just salvage the parts for the NUC, because it doesn't come with everything. The NUC only has one DDR3 SODIMM slot for memory though. My laptop has 4gb of memory, but it's in a two module fashion, so I would be stuck using 2gb of RAM. I'm concerned about running Windows 7 with only 2gb of ram. It meets the minimum requirements on Microsoft's website, but I'm kinda concerned about it. It would only be running the Steam client, and the drivers for a xbox360 controller receiver, but that's it. No netflix, music streaming, or anything else. (Maybe a dvd player hooked up with usb, but a potato could run that)  All gaming would be done either on in home streaming, or with the above emulators mentioned. 
What do you guys think? Do you think a simple NUC with 2gb of ram could do it for in home streaming? I'd love to hear your feedback. 

My laptop has 2GB of RAM running Win7 Ultimate, and I can stream just fine. 

Gigabyte Brix?

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Gigabyte Brix?

Too expensive. The Nuc is 135$ by itself, and I already have the laptop. If I had 300$ to spend on something I'd use 7 days a week, I'd do it. I may use this occasionally when friends come over, and that's pretty much it.