Yesterday, I ordered a Corsair H55, Kraken G10, and 8 copper heatsinks for the RAM on my XFX R9 270X. My intent is to do some serious overclocking as well as keep GPU temps at a comfortable range for me and reduce sound level (80C is not ideal). Just now, I realize that the VRM will have no coverage when I convert to water cooling and I began to worry. 

Will the uncovered VRM be a problem with performance and ultimately lead to failure? If so, should I ditch water cooling and purchase this: http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-Efficient-VRM-Cooling-DCACO-V800001-GBA01/dp/B00HHMJIIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402503427&sr=8-1&keywords=arctic+accelero

Thanks in advance.

Yesterday, I ordered a Corsair H55, Kraken G10, and 8 copper heatsinks for the RAM on my XFX R9 270X. My intent is to do some serious overclocking as well as keep GPU temps at a comfortable range for me and reduce sound level (80C is not ideal). Just now, I realize that the VRM will have no coverage when I convert to water cooling and I began to worry. 

Will the uncovered VRM be a problem with performance and ultimately lead to failure? If so, should I ditch water cooling and purchase this: http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-Efficient-VRM-Cooling-DCACO-V800001-GBA01/dp/B00HHMJIIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402503427&sr=8-1&keywords=arctic+accelero

Thanks in advance.

Vram doesn't need heatsinks, put those heatsinks on the VRMs

or http://www.frozencpu.com/products/21566/vid-235/Aavid_Thermalloy_High_Pressure_Heatsink_-_35mm_x_35mm_x_12mm_-_Anodized_Black.html?tl=g40c21&id=WP8Igp69

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I tried to link the heatsinks I bought, but it seems to not work.

Have you heard of the brand Cosmos? In the product description, the heatsinks are listed as VGA RAM cooling heatsinks. Will these work for the VRM?

I tried to link the heatsinks I bought, but it seems to not work.

Have you heard of the brand Cosmos? In the product description, the heatsinks are listed as VGA RAM cooling heatsinks. Will these work for the VRM?

They are made for the memory chips, not the VRM. At the end of the day, they're just shaped pieces of metal, so yes they'll probably work. They just won't be ideal in terms of size and shape. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Thanks in advance.

Hmm....What is your target with this watercooling? I really don't get the point of using a h55(Far more noisy than an aircooler), and then water cooling a relatively average GPU....You could spend the money you are using on those that gear on a better GPU and then not overclock it.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Hmm....What is your target with this watercooling? I really don't get the point of using a h55(Far more noisy than an aircooler), and then water cooling a relatively average GPU....You could spend the money you are using on those that gear on a better GPU and then not overclock it.

The temperatures for my 270X are getting way too hot for me. No matter what game I play, the temperatures hit 80C and I want it to be cooler.

The temperatures for my 270X are getting way too hot for me. No matter what game I play, the temperatures hit 80C and I want it to be cooler.

You case airflow is probably the problem here, and you don't know that the Kraken G10 will do it better...You are still left with a terrible airflow.

What motherboard do you have? and what case?

80c is not very uncommon with stock fans for a 270x. It could be better but its acceptable.

I would bet than better airflow would decrease your temps far more than your proposed solution.

Watercooling needs to be done right, and not halfassed.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

You case airflow is probably the problem here, and you don't know that the Kraken G10 will do it better...You are still left with a terrible airflow.

What motherboard do you have? and what case?

80c is not very uncommon with stock fans for a 270x. It could be better but its acceptable.

I would bet than better airflow would decrease your temps far more than your proposed solution.

Watercooling needs to be done right, and not halfassed.

I have the corsair carbide spec 02 and a gigabyte P67 MoBo. I did replace the stock thermal compound with Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400. I may not have added enough because the temps were never above 65C when I used Antec Diamond Formula 7 on the GPU

I have the corsair carbide spec 02 and a gigabyte P67 MoBo. I did replace the stock thermal compound with Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400. I may not have added enough because the temps were never above 65C when I used Antec Diamond Formula 7 on the GPU

Hmmmm....Playing around with thermal compound on GPUs is not something I recommend. Adding fans, maybe getting a bigger case and make sure its dust free.

Remove everything inside that is obstructing your airflow.

Maybe your fan speed needs to be higher.....

Hmmmm....Playing around with thermal compound on GPUs is not something I recommend. Adding fans, maybe getting a bigger case and make sure its dust free.

Remove everything inside that is obstructing your airflow.

Maybe your fan speed needs to be higher.....

I actually just got the case as a gift, so replacing it is not really an option right now. As for obstruction of airflow, I spent two hours yesterday managing all the cables so everything is clear.

I actually just got the case as a gift, so replacing it is not really an option right now. As for obstruction of airflow, I spent two hours yesterday managing all the cables so everything is clear.

I would keep what you have now, and save up for something better. Spending money on a Kraken g10 seems wasteful.