How do I get the most out of my new SSD?

98Luyoh

Hi! I just installed a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB and re-installed Windows 8.1. This is my first SSD and I'd like some help.

I have AHCI on, plugged it into a SATA 3 port, optimized it for maximum performance in the software, done the other performance optimization, updated the firmware, enabled over provisioning with recommended settings and finally, enabled RAPID mode. Have I missed anything? 

Nope that seems like it just make sure again it is plugged into your fastest sata port and your good to go

Nope that seems like it just make sure again it is plugged into your fastest sata port and your good to go

Thanks!

Is Turbowrite enabled by default?

I have been looking at your Dream Desktop and I must say:

YOU ARE TOTALLY AND UTTERLY CRAZY!

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

There is a lot more you can do...

• Research if any proprietary features make a difference to performance/lifespan and enable/disable as necessary.
  • Enabling AHCI and using your fastest available SATA ports have already been mentioned.
  • Maybe not something you want to to with a 120GB SSD but you can shrink or move your page file and disable system restore and enable regular backups to a storage drive using "Windows 7 File Recovery" in Windows 8 or "Backup & Restore" in Windows 7, you could save upto 35GB.
  • Disable Hibernate, normally frees up a GB or 2
  • Check TRIM is enabled, it would normally be on by default in Win 7 & 8. You can check in the command prompt. The TRIM feature physically clears deleted files from the flash instead of clearing the log so when new information needs to be written it won't have to format the flash in the process.
  • Disable indexing of the SSD if you don't have much of a use for it, this will prevent automated writes to your dive whenever file changes are made even in other drives. Avoiding defrag will also increase the lifespan, SSDs store data randomly and don't need to be defragmented.
  • Enable/disable write caching, this may or may not improve performance depending on how much DRAM cache you SSD has built in, download CrystalDiskMark and see how your SSD performs with it on and off. No install required just run the download from a folder.
  • Do not alter "Superfetch" or "Prefetch" process values in the registry, It has been discussed by Mark Russinovich and Ed Bott that it is a myth that won't enhance performance.

:ph34r:

I have been looking at your Dream Desktop and I must say:

YOU ARE TOTALLY AND UTTERLY CRAZY!

hahaha If it's my dream rig go big and crazy or go home right? lol

i would also highly recomend disabling windows scheduled defrag

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

hahaha If it's my dream rig go big and crazy or go home right? lol

And the weird thing is: You would only pay 100 dollar in shipping ...  :o  :o

+ How would you wanna power this from your walls. You need like 13 sockets... if every monitor has its own plug, the 2 psu and the speakers.

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

There is a lot more you can do...

• Research if any proprietary features make a difference to performance/lifespan and enable/disable as necessary.
  • Enabling AHCI and using your fastest available SATA ports have already been mentioned.
  • Maybe not something you want to to with a 120GB SSD but you can shrink or move your page file and disable system restore and enable regular backups to a storage drive using "Windows 7 File Recovery" in Windows 8 or "Backup & Restore" in Windows 7, you could save upto 35GB.
  • Disable Hibernate, normally frees up a GB or 2
  • Check TRIM is enabled, it would normally be on by default in Win 7 & 8. You can check in the command prompt. The TRIM feature physically clears deleted files from the flash instead of clearing the log so when new information needs to be written it won't have to format the flash in the process.
  • Disable indexing of the SSD if you don't have much of a use for it, this will prevent automated writes to your dive whenever file changes are made even in other drives. Avoiding defrag will also increase the lifespan, SSDs store data randomly and don't need to be defragmented.
  • Enable/disable write caching, this may or may not improve performance depending on how much DRAM cache you SSD has built in, download CrystalDiskMark and see how your SSD performs with it on and off. Not install required just run the download from a folder.
  • Do not alter "Superfetch" or "Prefetch" process values in the registry, It has been discussed by Mark Russinovich and Ed Bott that it is a myth that won't enhance performance.

Thank you!