Looking for new headphones.

JonHewett95

I have been using my current razer kraken headset since about 2012 (maybe early 2013) and It's time for a change, therefore I will probably be replacing the earcups and selling them on.

It's probably time to get a 7.1 headset, currently looking at the corsair vengeance 1500V2, any suggestions?

PC Specs: CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz (Cooled by Corsair H100i) GPU: 780ti (RIP) Mobo: Asus Z87-A Storage: 2x Samsung 850 pro (128GB) seagate SSHD (2TB) PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Peripherals Keyboard: CM storm cherry blues Mouse: Razer deathadder 

7.1 is a marketing scam. And don't buy any "gamer" brands for audio. Gross.

{PC} i5 4690 | Gigabyte R9 290 | Asus H97-Plus | 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury | CM Hyper 212 Evo | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | Adata SX900 256GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB TT 650W Smart Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed

{Audio} Ear/Headphones: HiFiMAN HE-400, Westone 4R, Shure SE535 Amp: Little Dot MKIII, Fiio E11 Dac: LIttle Dot Dac II

you have 2 ears you dont need 7.1

You would be correct there, except for the fact it's virtual 7.1. So ha ha if it's a joke, if not then please research virtual surround sound.

PC Specs: CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.5Ghz (Cooled by Corsair H100i) GPU: 780ti (RIP) Mobo: Asus Z87-A Storage: 2x Samsung 850 pro (128GB) seagate SSHD (2TB) PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Peripherals Keyboard: CM storm cherry blues Mouse: Razer deathadder 

7.1 is a marketing scam. And don't buy any "gamer" brands for audio. Gross.

Instead of shitting my idea to buy a headset and just posting your opinion, how about you help me out. This is a forum, it's supposed to be where anyone can go and ask for information about something, and other people who have had a similar experience can help out. So please, name a few headsets that gain your seal of approval.

You would be correct there, except for the fact it's virtual 7.1. So ha ha if it's a joke, if not then please research virtual surround sound.

Yeah you are right. All 3 of you are right. And whether 7.1 virtual surround sounds good or not comes down to personal preference. I personally don't like it a lot, and have used it extensively. Besides isn't the kraken non-virtual? I'm not sure. Also he is right about MOST "gaming" brand headsets/headphones, but they aren't all bad.

In any case, I love my PC360. My friends have the kingston cloud headset and like it.

Yeah you are right. All 3 of you are right. And whether 7.1 virtual surround sounds good or not comes down to personal preference. I personally don't like it a lot, and have used it extensively. Besides isn't the kraken non-virtual? I'm not sure. Also he is right about MOST "gaming" brand headsets/headphones, but they aren't all bad.

In any case, I love my PC360. My friends have the kingston cloud headset and like it.

I'm not sure, my headset says stereo 2.0 on the back of the box which is just about the only information I could find on the box about the sound, I don't know if razer have updated the kraken and kept the name similar as they usually do. Thanks for actually suggesting something, I'll look in to those.

virtual 7.1 is really just up to the individual's opinion, personally I use a G930 and I like it on in games (that support it) and off for things like YouTube and game's that don't support 7.1 (though that could be just because Logitech's 2.0->virtual 7.1 isn't as good as 7.1->virtual 7.1.

If you really want a "gaming" headset, I would recommend that G930, but personally if I got a new mic and headphone, I would get some headphones and a desktop mic

CPU: i5-3570K Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus MB: MSI Z77MA-G45 Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 770 4GB Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W OS: Windows 7 Pro 64bit Monitor: ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED Keyboard: Some Dell Keyboard Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Logitech G930

I'm not sure, my headset says stereo 2.0 on the back of the box which is just about the only information I could find on the box about the sound, I don't know if razer have updated the kraken and kept the name similar as they usually do. Thanks for actually suggesting something, I'll look in to those.

Just please remember that you are on here asking for help, if they don't give an answer you are happy with you can ask nicely, no need to go straight to being snippy.

Also the PC360s are now floating around $250 in price, I got mine for $130. I love them and would say that they are worth the price, but I just thought it is worth noting that they have quite the pricetag.

Everyone here is going to recommend you a different brand/model of headphones. If I were you I'd go over to head-fi and read up on much more detailed reviews there and make your own decision based on what kind of sound you're looking for.

{PC} i5 4690 | Gigabyte R9 290 | Asus H97-Plus | 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury | CM Hyper 212 Evo | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | Adata SX900 256GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB TT 650W Smart Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed

{Audio} Ear/Headphones: HiFiMAN HE-400, Westone 4R, Shure SE535 Amp: Little Dot MKIII, Fiio E11 Dac: LIttle Dot Dac II

Just please remember that you are on here asking for help, if they don't give an answer you are happy with you can ask nicely, no need to go straight to being snippy.

Also the PC360s are now floating around $250 in price, I got mine for $130. I love them and would say that they are worth the price, but I just thought it is worth noting that they have quite the pricetag.

I am grateful for the help I just dislike it when people fill up the thread with their opinion, they had no intentions of helping me, since they haven't replied I'm guessing they were just here to by the looks of it put me off buying a new headset.

Everyone here is going to recommend you a different brand/model of headphones. If I were you I'd go over to head-fi and read up on much more detailed reviews there and make your own decision based on what kind of sound you're looking for.

I will do that, thanks. However I had a few more in mind and I was curious to see if any of them would be mentioned. 

I am grateful for the help I just dislike it when people fill up the thread with their opinion, they had no intentions of helping me, since they haven't replied I'm guessing they were just here to by the looks of it put me off buying a new headset.

Trust me I get it, it can be annoying. I would just suggest asking nicely first.

Hi-Fi tends to be ultra-snobby and generally uninformed. Might as well just go to the audio subreddit. Maybe my personal experiences are isolated though.

I have a set of 5.1 headphones and I legitimately don't know if the 5.1 actually works or not...

My post is unproductive, merely posting to keep track of thread easier :P

I love that there are no suggestions haha :P
There are not 7.1 headphones (exept the razer Tiamat), you just use software to simulate the surround. You can pay extra $ for a 7.1 headphones with a sound card (inside the headphones)  and have an ok experience, or you can buy some good headphones and use the software of the game (change your audio settings in the game to ->"headphones") and have better surround and much better experience overall. 
Since you live in UK then you can buy the Denon ah - D1100 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AHD1100-Over-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B003YUBE4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402277958&sr=8-1&keywords=Denon+D1100

There are pretty easy to break but their sound is amazing. If you are careful with your things, it's an awesome deal. 

PS (you can even download 7.1 surround software like razer surround but in my opinion you get the best sound quality with less software )

I have tactic3d rage, Soundblaster claim them to be better than 5.1 and 7.1 with their sbx 3d surround.

I listen to this and it is kinda freaky.

I've used plenty of "gaming headsets" in the past that boast amazing surround effects and spatial experience, but the best gaming/surround experience I've got came from ~$40 headphones from Superlux (HD-681 Evo). Even the sound quality easily beat most of the crap gaming peripheral companies spew out. I thought it was completely normal to have to use equalizer to get the headphones to sound good but with the Superlux headphones I didn't need to touch the EQ at all and they sounded awesome. Most of the surround effects games and headphones have these days are purely software driven. Often games themselves have the surround sound built-in so there is no need to get any kind of special "surround headset" or "surround sound card". All you need is a pair of amazing, proper, headphones from a proper audio company and you're set! The software will do all the work for you. :)

There are not 7.1 headphones (exept the razer Tiamat), you just use software to simulate the surround. You can pay extra $ for a 7.1 headphones with a sound card (inside the headphones)  and have an ok experience, or you can buy some good headphones and use the software of the game (change your audio settings in the game to ->"headphones") and have better surround and much better experience overall. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Denon-AHD1100-Over-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B003YUBE4E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402277958&sr=8-1&keywords=Denon+D1100

There are pretty easy to break but their sound is amazing. If you are careful with your things, it's an awesome deal. 

PS (you can even download 7.1 surround software like razer surround but in my opinion you get the best sound quality with less software )

Thank you, that is very helpful. That will go on my list to check out.

I've used plenty of "gaming headsets" in the past that boast amazing surround effects and spatial experience, but the best gaming/surround experience I've got came from ~$40 headphones from Superlux (HD-681 Evo). Even the sound quality easily beat most of the crap gaming peripheral companies spew out. I thought it was completely normal to have to use equalizer to get the headphones to sound good but with the Superlux headphones I didn't need to touch the EQ at all and they sounded awesome. Most of the surround effects games and headphones have these days are purely software driven. Often games themselves have the surround sound built-in so there is no need to get any kind of special "surround headset" or "surround sound card". All you need is a pair of amazing, proper, headphones from a proper audio company and you're set! The software will do all the work for you. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, not sure if I'm a fan of the suspension design but I'll check out their whole range.

Thanks for the suggestion, not sure if I'm a fan of the suspension design but I'll check out their whole range.

Don't forget to check the Superlux HD668B. Is a more bassy version of HD681. Both amazing headphones for the price. 

I did play a game today and I noticed that the Headphones setting for the game sounded remarkably worse than the 7.1 setting, despite my headset being stereo. Maybe it's just tf2 being a bit broken for me, but I guess I could set 7.1 surround with any headphones i get.

I was going to buy cm storm sirus 5.1 at one point, I'm pretty sure they have like 4 separate speakers in each ear cup for better immersion.

Instead of shitting my idea to buy a headset and just posting your opinion, how about you help me out. This is a forum, it's supposed to be where anyone can go and ask for information about something, and other people who have had a similar experience can help out. So please, name a few headsets that gain your seal of approval.

get a sennheiser g4me one or zero bro. peripheral companies are for mouse mousepad and keyboard, audio companies like sennheiser will make a better headset than razer by far.

get a sennheiser g4me one or zero bro. peripheral companies are for mouse mousepad and keyboard, audio companies like sennheiser will make a better headset than razer by far.

Thanks for the suggestion but I can't afford a £200 headset at the moment, I was thinking more along the lines of a sennheiser HD 429s with a cheap mic (since I only occasionally skype)

Thanks for the suggestion but I can't afford a £200 headset at the moment, I was thinking more along the lines of a sennheiser HD 429s with a cheap mic (since I only occasionally skype)

Yeah, that will do the job just fine :)