Does vram stack with sli graphics?

79wjd

I just built myself a new computer with a 3gb GTX780 SC w/ ACX and I'm wondering if its worth $40 to upgrade it to a 6gb version through EVGAs trade up program. 

I'm more than likely never going to get more than one monitor since I always have a laptop with me, which I can use for anything else...and I'm also unlikely to spend more than $3-400 on a monitor (i.e. not likely to get anywhere near 4k anytime soon). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

No.

^

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

No in multi GPU setups the memory has to be mirrored so that they can access the same information and work together so if you get two 3GB graphics cards you will still have 3GB.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

No in multi GPU setups the memory has to be mirrored so that they can access the same information and work together so if you get two 3GB graphics cards you will still have 3GB.

So, I guess that really brings me to the second part....would it make sense to upgrade for $40 to the 6gb version? I'm going to try and get at least 7+ years of use out of my build before I upgrade the whole thing--which I think should be do-able with sli 780s, but, and of course this would all be  a best guess situation....will 6gb of vram be a necessity at that point...or would 3 still probably work fine--considering that at that point I probably won't be able to run games at ultra anyway...

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So, I guess that really brings me to the second part....would it make sense to upgrade for $40 to the 6gb version? I'm going to try and get at least 7+ years of use out of my build before I upgrade the whole thing--which I think should be do-able with sli 780s, but, and of course this would all be  a best guess situation....will 6gb of vram be a necessity at that point...or would 3 still probably work fine--considering that at that point I probably won't be able to run games at ultra anyway...

No, keep that $40 in fund for new GPU in 3 years.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |