Corsair K65 Mechanical keyboardmini review

I just got me a corsair K65 keyboard and wanted to write a mini review on it, sort of a "what to expect when buying the Corsair K65".

So, here it goes..

The corsair K65 is a 10-keyless fully mechanical keyboard, which features all cherry mx red switches. you can search for the tech specs of it obviously but I want to describe it coming from a first experience with a mechanical keyboard.

The keys\switches:

Cherry mx red switches are the "lightest" ones of the bunch, they require very little pressure in order to actuate, and they do feel very light and fluffy.

The keycaps are raised and the board is missing that generic key-plate meaning the keys seem "naked"' which is a very refreshing and nice to look at feature. also, as a plus, this means cleaning the keyboard is now very easy.

It will take some time to get used to these switches though, I often find myself thinking I didn't press a certain key, then pressing it again in order to correct myself, only to realize I did press it in the first place, this is all due to the high actuation point, you don't need to press the keys all the way down in order to get the output.

mx-noled_zps18f7dead.png

The noise:

Coming from a very silent Microsoft BT keyboard, this keyboard seems very noisy to me, but it also is supposed to be the quietest of the bunch. ordering sound dampening o-rings from WASD-keyboards or ebay is supposed to make it quieter, I'll update as soon as I receive them.

The size:

The Corsair K65 is a 10-keyless board, which means it's missing the numpad. this can be a pro and a con, I mostly see it as a positive attribute. if you lack space on your desk, or just want a very nice and minimalist board, this one is definitely for you.

I did seem to miss the numpad's enter key, but that is quite negligible.

Other than the lack of a numpad, the K65 is fully sized, not featuring any funny awkward down sized random keys.

K65_A_zps6ebf3633.png

The built quality:

Well I really don't think I can say this enough: Corsair is, in my opinion, one of the best peripherals manufacturer quality wise. this board is beautifully constructed, gunmetal grey anodized aluminum chassis, very rugged and relatively heavy, it's built like a tank and looks like it should receive some sort of "best looking keyboard" award.

k65-aluminum-800_zps3690c5b5.png

the cord:

The K65 incorporates a detachable braided cord, which is routed to the keyboard via a cable management route, and connects to the board via mini-usb. very useful if traveling, or if you're like me, for sometimes putting it in the drawer when needing the extra desk space.

It could have been a little longer to enable better cable routing through the desk though.

k65-cable-800_zps0900a709.jpg

Final thoughts:

After years of switching between peripherals, mostly mice but also keyboards, I came to a conclusion that if it takes a little time to get used to, it mostly means it's special rather than bad. yes, if you buy a generic microsoft\any other brand keyboard, you'll get to typing\gaming in no time. but this thing, is a little more than that. it requires you to get to know it, to put your hands on it and navigate it, feel it, look at it. it's indeed special.

In my honest opinion, if you're looking for a 10-keyless mechanical keyboard, you simply can't go wrong with an aluminum chassis, cherry mx-red fully mechanical, detachable cord, premium quality board as the K65.

Full disclosure:

I am a serious Corsair fan.

IMG_20140606_154316_zps4b4b0463.jpg

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

Corsair M45 mouse | Corsair K65 Keyboard | LG 27EA33V 27' ips| 

•  

Is that the M40 or M45?

You mean the K65 Compact? The K65 is a full size keyboard.

EDIT: I don't know what I was thinking. Also, this.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Is that the M40 or M45?

M45 mate

You mean the K65 Compact? The K65 is a full size keyboard.

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but nowhere in Corsair's site there is a "K65" which is full sized.. the K65 is regarded as the compact regardless of the "compact" addition..

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

•  

M45 mate

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but nowhere in Corsair's site there is a "K65" which is full sized.. the K65 is regarded as the compact regardless of the "compact" addition..

I apologise. I confused myself between the K65 and the K70. I'm so sorry.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

I apologise. I confused myself between the K65 and the K70. I'm so sorry.

No need to be sorry brother :) 

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” 

Albert Einstein ;) 

•