RSI - Will a mechanical keyboard help?

Mooru

Hello everyone,

I used to play WoW a lot. I mean like seriously a lot (those days are over now though) and it was then that RSI hit me. I had massive wrist and finger aches and I was only 17-18 back then. I did a lot to try to reduce the pain. Finger stretches, breaks each hour, a more ergonomic position (and trying to make sure I keep it and don't sit in my chair with a bent back and funny angels for my wrist). 

I'm 22 now and although it has gotten a lot better I still suffer quite a bit. I'm currently programming and typing basically each day for at least a couple of hours on my crappy MacBook keyboard. I still do the stretches and try to keep my ergonomic position. But the only thing I can do at the moment is take painkillers which is not what I want to do to just be able to work for a few hours.

Now my question is would a mechanical keyboard help with wrist and finger strain? And is there a specific key switch that would help? I've been googling but I only have been founding those really funky looking keyboards. I tried one of those split microsoft keyboards at a store once and I just don't like them. My hands really don't like that position. I was looking at a corsair K70 because a: I like the looks of it a lot, would match my setup at home brilliantly and b: I heard that the red switches are very light to type on. I know these are all personal preference but maybe there's a certain switch better than another for RSI, I have no idea though.

TL:DR Would a mechanical keyboard help with RSI and if yes, are there switch types that are better for this cause? (besides personal preference)

Any input is much appreciated!

Mooru

ya it would be a good thing for you to get imo

reds need little pressure to "bottom out" so probably reds

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

So the things about reds is that they have a linear actuation(http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Red). That means you press the key and it just goes straight down to the bottom, no bump/tactile or clicky function to it. This means it is very smooth, it also has a light actuation resistance compared to other cherry switchs. Blue switches Have a Tactile and clicky actuation (http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX_Blue). This means blue have a "bump" or tactile feel then after that bump a inside component snaps to the bottom which is the actuation, you can then continue to press the key down in a linear fashion. The links I provided have visual aids which will help you understand alot better. Both of these keys have light actuation resistance which is what you will want.

Agree with all of the above.  A good wrist rest helps too.  I have a Corsair K70 for a week now and the wrist wrest it comes with is without a doubt the best one I've seen that came included with a keyboard.  Plus, the MX Red switches on this keyboard are very easy to actuate.  If you consciously reduce your stroke and force you'll realize you don't need much effort at all to type on it.

Ducky also makes a good standalone wrist rest I can highly recommend.  This with their MX Red keyboards would be a good solution.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

If you want switches that are easy to press, look no further than reds or browns.

They have simmilar(or the same?) springs inside, the browns just have a little bump in the travel, which means that it gets a bit harder to press down after ~1mm, but after another mm the switch actuates(computer registers the key pressed) and after that there are 2 more mm until the key bottoms out, which means that it stops traveling down.

MX reds just don't have that bump in the travel, it just feels smooth all the way down, but it still registers after 2mm, so you can not feel when it actuates.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I have reds that are really easy to press, :) but honestly not sure if it will help with rsi..

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Well the point is to actually help me with RSI :p so if it wouldn't help with that there's little point in changing currently.

I currently have a Logitech G11. While I don't particularly love it, I never disliked it and has no major flaws in my opinion, it is a decent keyboard. I've used it for the last 5 years and it doesn't show any signs of dying anytime soon. So if there's no need to upgrade I won't. I've tried a few keyboards in stores recently, did a razer Blackwidow, didn't really like that. A friend has a filco, that was ok but didn't have a wrist rest, although I am open to buying a separate one if needed.

But the main point is to help me with wrist- and fingerpain. If anyone actually has some experience with RSI and how he/she handles it, input would be greatly appreciated!

It wouldn't hurt to try.  Although, if I may recommend a membrane keyboard that's also easy and more affordable...the Logitech K750 wireless solar powered is probably the best one I've ever encountered.  Nice audible with minimal stroking effort, 1mm and it registers.  The keys are very thin as is the board itself.  It's one of those freak of nature products that turned out way better than the designers had intended, like they didn't realize what they had once they finished designing it.

Also, you can walk into most stores like Office Depot/Max or Best Buy and try it out beforehand.  Not really possible with most mechanical keyboards.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

Money isn't an issue as long as I know I get something decent. I don't mind paying 150 euros for a keyboard if I know it will be more comfortable and help with the pain (but I guess I'll only know that after using it for a while)

I live in Belgium so those stores are not an option. I like the sound of the K750 keyboard. I will have a look at it, i have noticed that keeping hands flat does help with it. I never raise the feet of my keyboard anymore. I might go have a look in a Mediamarkt (not sure if people outside EU are familiar with this store), they usually have stuff on display there. 

For wrist a simple wristwrest would do fine, although a mechanical keyboard would indeed help with finger strain as some variants are light to type on-easier on the fingers. Try an MX Red or Brown switch!