Gaming Laptop (mid range)

unsubscribed

Here, in Ireland, I have a choice of Gigabyte and ASUS for gaming laptop. ASUS one is J model with GTX 860m. Gigabyte has GTX 870m for same price and slightly better but also i7 CPU.

Gigabyte P25W V2-CF2 VS Asus G750JM-T4049H

Does anybody know about Gigabyte gaming laptops and their reliability/customer service? I am buying via Amazon UK so I am more worried about reliability and performance then custome service. But still.

Gigabyte laptops are really good!!!!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Gigabyte laptops are really good!!!!

Afaik they are made by someone else. Either way, do you have one? Can you give more details on your experience?

Afaik they are made by someone else. Either way, do you have one? Can you give more details on your experience?

I dont, one of my gaming friends does. It is quite nicely built, and has served him well since he got it last year.

Dont forget gigabyte have started their new aorus brand which is pretty badass. and they have some great quality motherboards and cards. They know  a thing or two about build quality. Even if they used somebody elses playform (clevo or sager perhaps) they would only do it because of its build quality. Just like apple use foxxconn for example

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I dont, one of my gaming friends does. It is quite nicely built, and has served him well since he got it last year.

Dont forget gigabyte have started their new aorus brand which is pretty badass. and they have some great quality motherboards and cards. They know a thing or two about build quality. Even if they used somebody elses playform (clevo or sager perhaps) they would only do it because of its build quality. Just like apple use foxxconn for example

Fair enough. Thank you. Aorus is nice but I expect price would be 30% higher than current offerings. ASUS ROG is swee but no 14" models atm. Though I think gtx 850 and above might need better cooling to last.

I'm not too familiar with Gigabyte myself, but after looking at pictures of it on Amazon UK, it looks like it has a separate fan for both the CPU and GPU, so that's a plus in my book. If I were you, I'd see if I could find some thermal benchmarks somewhere, but I imagine it won't be too much worse than the Asus G750 series. (I'd still expect the G750 to do better, but if you're getting a better CPU and GPU for the same price, I'd go for the Gigabyte one)

I'm not too familiar with Gigabyte myself, but after looking at pictures of it on Amazon UK, it looks like it has a separate fan for both the CPU and GPU, so that's a plus in my book. If I were you, I'd see if I could find some thermal benchmarks somewhere, but I imagine it won't be too much worse than the Asus G750 series. (I'd still expect the G750 to do better, but if you're getting a better CPU and GPU for the same price, I'd go for the Gigabyte one)

Good tip, thanks. Gigabyte reviews are just not there yet. Unfortunatelly. Will do a better dig later. I am still on the fence for quality etc.

After reading good bit I have found out few things (still not sure about ASUS Vs Gigabyte quality and choice):

laptops can be had with GTX 860m that would do me just fine

GTX 860m has 2 flavors - 2GB Maxwell and 4GB Kepler

Gigabyte/ASUS laptops come in 14/15.6/17.3" flavors (more Gigabyte, ASUS stuck with 17.3")

Still finding it hard to locate any Gigabyte owners for current laptops. Even last gen was not that popular. Reasons anyone?

Get this Gigabyte laptop: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gigabyte-P34Gv2-Gaming-Laptop been hearing quite a few good reviews on it

I was just reading about it. 14" is very nice. Few caviats though. Battery is integrated, I would use it most time as desktop replacement, would be nice to take the battery out. Also the GPU is although 4GB Kepler based, not Maxwell one. The later comes in 2GB VRAM. This ads more power draw and unwanted heat. Some report CPU and GPU close to 90C during gaming. Now that's out of my comfort zone.

Other than that yes, not a bad machine. Maybe for my wife? I am leaning towards ASUS G750 JM. Very similar config, much less heat but larger.

I implore you to build a PC. I just came from a gaming laptop to a desktop and the difference is phenomenal, you won't get heat problems and performance is much better.

I implore you to build a PC. I just came from a gaming laptop to a desktop and the difference is phenomenal, you won't get heat problems and performance is much better.

That is true. However I don't game all that much. Even if I built desktop it would be i5, 8GB, SSD, 750Ti. Laptop with i7, 12GB, SSD, 860m won't be that far behind. Also i get to move the thing around the house and not just stay glued to my room.