How can I tell if my psu is failing?

Zany

Recently my computer started crashing as in straight up black screen no error messages or anything and would turn back on 1 or 2 seconds later. I checked my system event logs and the only error messages are 6008 and it just says "The previous shut down on (time) on (date) was unexpected." It could happen any time and I don't think its triggered by anything. Anyone have any ideas? 

My power supply is the Corsair RM850

That does sound like a PSU issue. Could also be a connector though, try replugging everything, just in case. When the blackscreen occurs, does everything completely shut off, including the PSU itself (check the fan)? To be absolutely sure, you could disconnect everything from the PSU, use the paperclip trick to jumper it and leave it running like that, if it shuts off for no reason even then, you definitely have a bad PSU.

Is this happening during intense use or is it occuring during normal use? if it only happens when your gaming for example it could be your temps. Another option is outdated drivers for chipsets or graphics cards, if non of these look to fix the issue i would say the problem is the power supply.

That does sound like a PSU issue. Could also be a connector though, try replugging everything, just in case. When the blackscreen occurs, does everything completely shut off, including the PSU itself (check the fan)? To be absolutely sure, you could disconnect everything from the PSU, use the paperclip trick to jumper it and leave it running like that, if it shuts off for no reason even then, you definitely have a bad PSU.

I'll try that thanks