Stock Android

abby

<rant>

I get very annoyed when i buy a phone and it has a stupid skin on top of it. Don't you think more manufacturers should provide us with the ability to chose between stock JB or a skinned version like touch wiz or sense one or whatever they are called?

Annoys me so much! Yes i can buy the nexus brand of phones...but phones like the HTC one are so so so much better!

Why not just provide us with the option to choose what OS we want? Yes i know we can root and flash with a custom ROM. But most people don't want the hassle and don't want to void warranty.

</rant>

I spam people for a living.

There's only one skin I like and that's the HTC Sense skin. (despite the lag on some older phones)

But you are completely right, one should be able to choose between skinned or stock.

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

The skins is one of the reason I have avoided Android so far. I'm simply afraid that I'll get a crappy experience.

However, if I were to buy a new phone now, the HTC Sense UI on the HTC One seems really interesting. Clean, effective, fast. Just the way it should be.

I agree with you, though.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Find your ROM, and have it your way.

That's why I really go for the hardware side of the phones, [and imho SgS4 > One just for expandability's sake].

Or check out Apex Launcher or Nova Launcher. You can have your skin as you please if you are afraid to root / rom your phone.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

That's why I really go for the hardware side of the phones, [and imho SgS4 > One just for expandability's sake].

Or check out Apex Launcher or Nova Launcher. You can have your skin as you please if you are afraid to root / rom your phone.

i know xda. Have rooted and flashed it myself and then gone back to unrootin it and running nova launcher.

And yes the Sg4 is brilliant (i am an SG3 owner myself) but i quite like the aluminium design of the HTC one.

My whole point was that why should we jump through hoops to get the stock experience that most people want. Why not provide an option? Not like the phone manufacturers would lose out in any way if they were to provide the option...i'd think more people would be attracted to it if they had the option of choosing which version of android the consumer wanted.

i know xda. Have rooted and flashed it myself and then gone back to unrootin it and running nova launcher.

And yes the Sg4 is brilliant (i am an SG3 owner myself) but i quite like the aluminium design of the HTC one.

My whole point was that why should we jump through hoops to get the stock experience that most people want. Why not provide an option? Not like the phone manufacturers would lose out in any way if they were to provide the option...i'd think more people would be attracted to it if they had the option of choosing which version of android the consumer wanted.

I'd probably go with the stock android aswell, but for the mainstream customer they are trying to differentiate themselves in terms of looks, since the majoritiy of the people is surely neither interested nor informed about specific hardware specs or w/e.

They go by the phone that looks the nicest and has the most gimicky features.

And ya I really like the looks of the HTC one, but the lack of an SD card slot is kind of a deal breaker, and unfortunately the rumor about a 128gb internal storage sgs4 were not true cause +64gb sd and I can trash my iPod ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I'd probably go with the stock android aswell, but for the mainstream customer they are trying to differentiate themselves in terms of looks, since the majoritiy of the people is surely neither interested nor informed about specific hardware specs or w/e.

They go by the phone that looks the nicest and has the most gimicky features.

And ya I really like the looks of the HTC one, but the lack of an SD card slot is kind of a deal breaker, and unfortunately the rumor about a 128gb internal storage sgs4 were not true cause +64gb sd and I can trash my iPod ^^

I am one of those who prefers to carry an ipod and i cannot even fill my 8GB S3 hahaha

Manufactures making their Touchwiz, Sense, Motoblur etc... is to separate themselves from the rest of the Android devices in the market. Yes, that if manufactures provided a stock (vanilla) version for the user will be great. But I don't think a manufacture like Samsung, HTC or any other manufactures would do that given, the average consumer wouldn't know the difference because when they buy the phone they buy it for that specific skin not for the hardware specs of the phone. They think that a specific skin is locked on that specific kind of phone. If the average consumer isn't demanding this kind of feature, it would most likely the manufacture will not create and test a stock Android version for their phone simply because it costs more money and time.

That all being said, Sony did make a stock Android version for one of their older phones, but I wouldn't count on any other manufacture jumping ship though. 

Companies like Samsung are trying really hard to get rid of the "Android" name from their phones. Their skinning/software is basically just to make it different enough that average people will just think of it as Samsung's software, not Google's.

Well, i guess it is because of people like me who like the Touch Wiz UI...

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

GOOD NEWS (?), Google is going to sell the Galaxy S 4 with stock Android.

Cyanogenmod is pretty much the answer to all people who want stock android. It's pretty close, but a lot more customizable.

• 1 month later...

absolutely i will always look at the strength of the hardware of the device before anything else 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))