Not Responding

ErwinS

I'm sure most, if not all of you Windows users have experienced the "Not Responding" error. For me at least this was a problem that kept popping up, but seemed to have solved itself with time so I rarely get it nowadays. It would be nice if someone could explain why this error occurs. From what I have gathered, there is no way to fix this error. For you windows 8 users, do you also suffer from this annoying error?

My Mobile Devices: HTC Dream (G1) Rooted, HTC Bravo (Desire) Rooted, Samsung Galaxy SII Rooted, Samsung Galaxy Note II Rooted, iPhone 4s Jailbroken, iPad 2 Jailbroken

Well, tell us more maybe? is it related to a specific application? what are the error details?

Usually its the application which stops working, or an incompatibility between two programs. If this happens to me i note down what error details are and look it up on Google :) BAM problem solved.. like my Dota 2 started Not Responding recently and after a bit of researching I found out that you should launch FRAPS after the game is running, yeah this happens on Windows 8 and on Windows 7

Worst case scenario it can also be caused by faulty RAM

Yeah, Microsoft does update Windows so if you do install Windows updates frequently it will solve some of the problems.

If you tell us what program prompts you that alert and what you do before it's better.

• MB MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K + Corsair H60 + 2x Alpenfohn Wing Boost

RAM Corsair Dominator 16 GB

GPU MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II / OC

SC Asus Xonar D2X

SSD Corsair Force GT 120 GB

HDD WD Black 1 TB + Blue 1 TB + Green 500 GB

PSU Corsair HX650

Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black

Rheobus NZXT Sentry LXE

Monitor: 3x LG IPS231P + Philips 298P4Q

Hi-Fi Onkyo HT-S3305

OS Windows 8.1 Pro

As I have said I had problems, however they seemed to have fixed themselves a long time ago. The programs that were not responding were some core windows processes actually - cant recall which ones. Yeah I have solved some of it with Google. Was just wondering if anyone could give some insight as to why this happens to some core windows processes (That awkward moment when task manager stops responding) lol xD

My Mobile Devices: HTC Dream (G1) Rooted, HTC Bravo (Desire) Rooted, Samsung Galaxy SII Rooted, Samsung Galaxy Note II Rooted, iPhone 4s Jailbroken, iPad 2 Jailbroken

You might have some malware on your pc :( have you installed any up to date Antivirus?

I don't think you are getting the point here....

Could be due to a number of things such as limited resources or 3rd party drivers causing hangs in the system I/O.

From what I have read ~85% of the time Windows 7 hangs the fault was due to 3rd party drivers.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

It could be due to a number of factors. I personnaly use Windows 8 on two desktops and one old laptop and never received errors. Might be due to your personal configuration. It's really hard to answer with the information you gave us. All I can say is that I did not experience any such problems on my 3 PC's at home.

Could be due to a number of things such as limited resources or 3rd party drivers causing hangs in the system I/O. From what I have read ~85% of the time Windows 7 hangs the fault was due to 3rd party drivers.

Thank you!

Almost every time I get a "Not Responding" error it is due to graphics drivers or not enough processing power in the computer to do whatever it was it was trying to do. I think the only other time would probably be buggy coding/unstable application like betas/alphas.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I get the "Not Responding" thing on Windows 8. Though I know that my old HDD is the one causing it.

The only Windows OS that ever gave me a "Not Responding" error on TASK MANAGER is Windows 8... lol

Too many things happening at once where the PC cannot perhaps cope?

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

• 2 weeks later...
I get the "Not Responding" thing on Windows 8. Though I know that my old HDD is the one causing it.

The only Windows OS that ever gave me a "Not Responding" error on TASK MANAGER is Windows 8... lol

Thanks for the info.

Okay a little insight into how windows assumes a program is in a "Not Responding" state. Windows is able to detect when a program is not responding to any window events passed to a program, EG clicking buttons, scrolling, typing into boxes. When this occurs windows assigns it as not responding. This does not meant he program has locked up/crashed, the program may still be running in the background but too busy processing other stuff. Of course it could just mean the program has crashed..

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Okay a little insight into how windows assumes a program is in a "Not Responding" state. Windows is able to detect when a program is not responding to any window events passed to a program, EG clicking buttons, scrolling, typing into boxes. When this occurs windows assigns it as not responding. This does not meant he program has locked up/crashed, the program may still be running in the background but too busy processing other stuff. Of course it could just mean the program has crashed..
Another great response! Thank you my friend!