Best price/quality PSU? 600W

WoofedUp
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Yea, I know, but I want to have some room, if I'll gone crazy and wanted another GTX 760 in my system or do the crazy oc on FX-8320. Better to have more than not enough later, am I right?

A solid 450w is plenty even with a balls to the walls oc. 600w is just in the awkward position where it's a bit low for sli. Either go with a good 450-500w psu for a single 760 or a 650w for sli.

http://www.morele.net/zasilacz-corsair-cx-series-500w-atx-80-plus-bronze-certified-eu-version-cp-9020047-eu-522538/

http://www.morele.net/zasilacz-fortron-raider-s-650w-80plus-silver-box-new-raider-s-650-new-640974/

Hi, WoofedUp again.

Here comes my another question to this forum. I was wondering about right power supply for my future build. I know it must be 600W one (as it will have GTX760 and FX-8320 propably not hardly overclocked, if any OC even would be done). What I'm looking for is the best price/quality ratio power supply. What I mean is - lowest possible cost, but still a high quality components inside. Power Efficiency marks are not important (let it has 80+ Bronze at least). I'm going to shop at "morele.net". Any good ideas, community? :)

Actually, efficiency is a factor you should look for, because the quality of compenents within a PSU often runs concurrently with the level of efficiency in their operation.

You could run that of 450...

Yea, I know, but I want to have some room, if I'll gone crazy and wanted another GTX 760 in my system or do the crazy oc on FX-8320. Better to have more than not enough later, am I right?

Corsair RM series is solid, seasonic is a brand to look into too.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

And I'm waiting for some more opinions from other peeps around here. :)

Actually, efficiency is a factor you should look for, because the quality of compenents within a PSU often runs concurrently with the level of efficiency in their operation.

Ah, okay, thanks about that. But there are some products in the market, that shouldn't be trusted and have even the 80+ Gold efficiency mark. That's usually a chinese bullschrimp, right?

I'd recommend the seasonic g series 650 watt

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

A solid 450w is plenty even with a balls to the walls oc. 600w is just in the awkward position where it's a bit low for sli. Either go with a good 450-500w psu for a single 760 or a 650w for sli.

http://www.morele.net/zasilacz-corsair-cx-series-500w-atx-80-plus-bronze-certified-eu-version-cp-9020047-eu-522538/

http://www.morele.net/zasilacz-fortron-raider-s-650w-80plus-silver-box-new-raider-s-650-new-640974/

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Go for rm650

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

What I'm looking for is the best price/quality ratio power supply. What I mean is - lowest possible cost, but still a high quality components inside.

Corsair RM series is solid, seasonic is a brand to look into too.

Go for rm650

To the contrary, the RM Series is overpriced with dubious secondary capacitors.

rm is one of the best psu series

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

From the review you linked: "The 5 year warranty that you receive with this product IMHO does make up for the few tenners extra in price premium." Except 5 year warranties for 80Plus Gold units is the norm right now.

That review however doesn't consider internal components beyond the FDB fan. The review is just marketing.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=363 Corsair RM650

Decent build quality. 1 Nippon secondary capacitor, the rest are Teapo and Capxon. Slightly more expensive than competing PSUs.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=369 Corsair RM850

"Bottom rung" Ltec capacitors.

The RM Series is decent. It's far from the best value for money, and far from the best performance.

A good PSU review would open up and do a technical analysis of the internals design / components, as well as test it to see how it operates in respect to voltage regulation, ripple suppression, crossload scenarios, transient loads, etc using an ATE, multimeter, oscilloscope, etc.

Guru3D isn't exactly a site I would go to for PSU reviews, especially if their testing made a Gold efficiency unit done worse than a bronze unit (PCP&C MKIII 750w). Also, the fan is a rifle bearing fan - not a FDB one as Guru3D claimed. Here's another review on the RM650. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=363

While the RM650 isn't a terrible unit, it isn't up there with the best. If it was, Corsair wouldn't have put it in the mainstream segment to replace the TX series.

From the review you linked: "The 5 year warranty that you receive with this product IMHO does make up for the few tenners extra in price premium." Except 5 year warranties for 80Plus Gold units is the norm right now.

That review however doesn't consider internal components beyond the FDB fan. The review is just marketing.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=363 Corsair RM650

Decent build quality. 1 Nippon secondary capacitor, the rest are Teapo and Capxon. Slightly more expensive than competing PSUs.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=369 Corsair RM850

I can find you 100 excellen reviews even linus himshelf likes them, they are excellent psus just like all other corsairs and seasonic psus

The RM Series is decent. It's far from the best value for money, and far from the best performance.

I can find you 100 excellen reviews even linus himshelf likes them, they are excellent psus just like all other corsairs and seasonic psus

You can find  good reviews for almost anything. If you plug a PSU in and it works, you get a good review. The problem is finding a competent, educational review that actually tells you about it quality and the performance of the PSU (which the Guru3D review did not).

For example:

Sunbeam BKS580 has 100+ 5 stars reviews. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817709011

And yet it went out of ATX specification at 200w+: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=204

As I have stated, the RM series isn't terrible option, if you are looking for a silent, fully modular, gold unit. However, it is not nor was it intended to compete with the best as you had stated. It is better than the Raider S and CX though, but it also cost a little more than 100zł than the Raider S 650w that had been recommended.

I could go find reviews of various PoWork, PowMax, CoolMax, Hyena and Deer power supplies that are excellent. Users talking about how it was great for their little HTPC or how the LED really suits their 1337haxor gaming rig. Newegg reviews are a great example. At the end of the day, the PSUs are shite. Doesn't matter if uninformed people like them.

Again, the RM series isn't shite. It's decent. But you can get more for your money.

Big deal. Linus is not God. Did you see the recent AX1500i review? After dropping it from the roof, he determined that the PSU was still working by shaking it and not hearing rattling. The review itself didn't consider any internal details, at least not as much as I was hoping. Linus is not an expert on PSUs, bottom line. Willing to bet he knows more than me, but not an expert. His opinion is not infallible.

I think I just gave some reasons as to why they aren't excellent PSUs. Excellent PSUs don't have ok soldering and dubious secondary capacitors, while costing more than competing power supplies which have even better performance and full jap caps.

Even better, quan responded a couple of times. What more do you need?

Not all Corsair and Seasonic PSUs are excellent. I am having trouble finding a terrible Seasonic unit right now. I see some 80Plus Bronze and Standard units, which will make my point well enough. Both Corsair and Seasonic have low end series. Look at Corsairs VS Series. They aren't excellent. The low end units are just that. Low end. That's the point. And I won't criticize them for being low end necessarily, unless they are particularly bad or overpriced.