Science Stuff

pbenologa

So i read this monsanto thing. And activists are fighting to shut down the whole company. GMO means no harm for me. This fucking activists are making it look like that GMO's are devil's shit. Are you ok with GMO's in our daily foods?

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

Yes, we need them or we'll all die because of food scarcity. Now among hippies and ignorant people "GMO" stands for some devilish thing while in reality it just stands for Genetically Modified Organism and pretty much everything we've been eating for years and years is a GMO. It angers me that people are so retarded as to think that a small group of evil scientists are plotting a long term plan to slowly kill us through barely poisoning our food, when in reality they are just modifications like some crops being able to withstand higher temperatures or longer droughts etc... One story that really got to me and was the destruction of the "Golden Rice" crops in the Philippines that were modified to have Vitamin A to help fight the deficiency of such vitamin in children living in developing countries.

I'am divided. We need GMO's in order to produce enough food. However I believe Monsanto business practices are a bit shady and the company would appear to be after money not further humanity. 

Something that gets me is they made certain crops that can with stand types of pesticides, so farmers dump the pesticides on the fields food plants are fine but then all these pesticides end up in the water. I don't know how to choose a side in that, we can't afford to have a missive infestation that kills a huge amount of crops but we don't need huge amounts of pesticides in the soil or water. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

We need GMOs to help grow crops and raise animals in areas that it is impossible to do so at the moment, to alleviate world hunger in places such as Africa. Growing crops in the Sahara would be a first, as it is such a large area if the majority of it could be used for crop growth, imagine how much less people will be starving for food every day. People who want to get rid of GMOs are backwards thinking, and clearly have foolhardy ideas in their head that are unfounded. If we must advance as a species, this is how it must be done.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I'am divided. We need GMO's in order to produce enough food. However I believe Monsanto business practices are a bit shady and the company would appear to be after money not further humanity. 

Something that gets me is they made certain crops that can with stand types of pesticides, so farmers dump the pesticides on the fields food plants are fine but then all these pesticides end up in the water. I don't know how to choose a side in that, we can't afford to have a missive infestation that kills a huge amount of crops but we don't need huge amounts of pesticides in the soil or water. 

I never read anything about their work habits. I'll read up some when i have some free time. "We need GMO's in order to produce enough food" well we can also use GMO to make high quality crops, imbued with lots of nutrients. :)

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

We need GMOs to help grow crops and raise animals in areas that it is impossible to do so at the moment, to alleviate world hunger in places such as Africa. Growing crops in the Sahara would be a first, as it is such a large area if the majority of it could be used for crop growth, imagine how much less people will be starving for food every day. People who want to get rid of GMOs are backwards thinking, and clearly have foolhardy ideas in their head that are unfounded. If we must advance as a species, this is how it must be done.

Yes, we need them or we'll all die because of food scarcity. Now among hippies and ignorant people "GMO" stands for some devilish thing while in reality it just stands for Genetically Modified Organism and pretty much everything we've been eating for years and years is a GMO. It angers me that people are so retarded as to think that a small group of evil scientists are plotting a long term plan to slowly kill us through barely poisoning our food, when in reality they are just modifications like some crops being able to withstand higher temperatures or longer droughts etc... One story that really got to me and was the destruction of the "Golden Rice" crops in the Philippines that were modified to have Vitamin A to help fight the deficiency of such vitamin in children living in developing countries.

I just looked up what GMO is and personally doesnt bother me but i do think it should be clearly labelled on the product so if people are against it they can choose an alternative that doesnt have gmos in it.

I think this is wrong http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/29/usa-california-gmo-idUSL1N0OF06D20140529

It's good to know that there are still some people who believes that GMO is needed. Thanks for your input guys! :)

It's good to know that there are still some people who believes that GMO is needed. Thanks for your input guys! :)

well you have to pretty oblivious to see a need or at least some need for them. As much as activists think this, New York ain't going to feed it self by growing veggies on the roofs. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

well you have to pretty oblivious to see a need or at least some need for them. As much as activists think this, New York ain't going to feed it self by growing veggies on the roofs. 

Well in our country a group of fucking activists burned down a field of golden rice. Saying that those rice will kill us. Fucking uneducated fucks. That's why i'm a bit enraged with this Anti-GMO protest.

Well in our country a group of fucking activists burned down a field of golden rice. Saying that those rice will kill us. Fucking uneducated fucks. That's why i'm a bit enraged with this Anti-GMO protest.

Soe people dislike them because they believe its wrong to mess with the work a GOD or equivalent creator. 

Spoiler

Soe people dislike them because they believe its wrong to mess with the work a GOD or equivalent creator. 

Exactly. Hahaha. That's why we never progress. Close minded fucks. Hahaha

Exactly. Hahaha. That's why we never progress. Close minded fucks. Hahaha

well it works both ways. We aren't exactly open to their side of things. 

Spoiler

Yes, it has been researched that earth can sustain up to 9 billion people foodwise. However, 11 billion or more is no problem with GM crops... There have been absolutely ZERO cases where eating genetically modified food has made an actual difference...This is one of the most conservative and stupid things to happen in the recent years. Science can help us with this global problem, but nope, lets not allow it. I would be ok even with giving GM crops to third world countries. That would help them significantly.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

As a scientist i say YES! We should focus on making better food/ hacking our food. GMO sounds big and dangerous but it can be so small and totally irrelevant to us. Gen modifying normally starts by modding the Plasmids of the plants. They are a circular form of DNA whioch contains knowledge about resistance against certain bacteria, insects and how big or what color the crops have for example.

All the hippies and uneducated people get afraid by the term 'gen modifying' and want to abandon it because they don't want their genes modified, but that's just not how shit works! Your body will digest it like evrything else!

The problem of such e.g. crop enlarging mods is, that in return they have a higher sensibility towards insects so they need more pesticides. That's a huge disadvantage. And Monsanto has used (and maybe still does somehwere) very toxic (even for humans) pesticides, which is ofc bad.

But we shouldn't just abandon it! Monsanto should lay it's priorities on developing better plants which could for example withstand insects better.

Edit: i want to add that monsanto is a shitty capitalistic company. Maybe someone else should focus on developing better plants.

who cares...