monitor in separate room.

stunrettub

my dad asked me if there was a way to put his computer monitor into a separate room. about 20 feet away from his tower. i told him to buy a cheap TV and run a long HDMI... though he wants me to attempt a magic trick for under $100.. any suggestions?

my dad asked me if there was a way to put his computer monitor into a separate room. about 20 feet away from his tower. i told him to buy a cheap TV and run a long HDMI... though he wants me to attempt a magic trick for under $100.. any suggestions?

How would he work the mouse and keyboard? I'm pretty sure wireless ones don't go 20 feet

How would he work the mouse and keyboard? I'm pretty sure they don't go 20 feet

Ever heard of a wireless keyboard + mouse?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Ever heard of a wireless keyboard + mouse?

Yes and i'm pretty sure they don't go 20 feet

Wireless or active USB extension.

USB extensions

Well, you can, get a DVI extensions, USB extensions, and just hook it up to your monitor

Or if you don't want a wired keyboard/mouse, get a wireless one.

If you're not getting wireless, just all the extensions, you'll easily spend under $50.

Case: Thermaltake Core V71 CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700X (overclocked to 4.1Ghz) Cooling: Corsair H110i GT(Push-Pull config) Motherboard: Gigabyte's Aorus AX370 AM4 K7 RAM: G.SKILL 2800Mhz 32GB GPU:  GEFORCE GTX 1080 (SLI) from Gigabyte Storage: Kingston 3K 240GB (main boot drive) Crucial M500 SSD, WD 2TB Green, 100GB HD(As backup) PSU: Sseasonic X Series 850W Gold

A bluetooth keyboard and mouse + HDMI over cat6 adapters, or a long HDMI cable.

Or a Raspberri pi and remote desktop.

just took a trip over to check out his system. his slim tower has hdmi and vga, the monitor has dvi and vga.. obnoxious. keyboard and mouse aren't at all the issue though thanks for the concern... extra long vga? or should i just stick with my original solution of a separate monitor/tv?

just took a trip over to check out his system. his slim tower has hdmi and vga, the monitor has dvi and vga.. obnoxious. keyboard and mouse aren't at all the issue though thanks for the concern... extra long vga? or should i just stick with my original solution of a separate monitor/tv?

I though vga lost quality over distance? I would get a tv with hdmi or something

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

I though vga lost quality over distance? I would get a tv with hdmi or something

I think it does after all its analog

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Take the $100 from him and go buy a 30 foot HDMI/DVI cable and then connect the cable from his PC to the monitor. According to which one you choose you will have like eighty something to seventy something dollars left for you to put towards your PC. Then you give him a bigggg hug and say you are the best dad!

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Take the $100 from him and go buy a 30 foot HDMI/DVI cable and then connect the cable from his PC to the monitor. According to which one you choose you will have like eighty something to seventy something dollars left for you to put towards your PC. Then you give him a bigggg hug and say you are the best dad!

^this you can get a 30' cable off monoprice for like $25-26

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump