A way to get kids away from consoles(Personal Experience)

RazeG3SG1

Hello guys, I want to share my experience on my struggles to be a console gamer and how my dad actually made me into a PC gamer. A little intro abt here: I'm 18 years old this year and I only built my PC this year in February. Prior to that, the games I played are Dota and CS.

My family is never rich, life is even harder as my mum had passed away. My dad is not so much of a techie and discourages gaming.(Typical Asian family and I live in Asia.) I always wanted to play games as they are fun as I look at other kids playing it, be it on consoles or on PC. When I started working at 15 during school holidays, the cheapest available option was a Xbox 360. When I wanted to buy it, my dad forbade it. I was quite angry at my dad as it is my own money, not to mention he is not a techie. But this is what he told me: "Why get a stupid piece of machine which does nothing but game? Why not get something more useful which does things other than just gaming? In fact, why not get a job in a repair shop and understand how they work, then build a PC?"

And now here I am, after a series of misfortunes (my 6 year old laptop broke down and replaced with my own savings, my dad lost his job during my graduation year, and my phone malfunctioned as well) I finally built my own PC and with a passion in IT. And now, looking back at my choices, I guess my not so techie dad is right after all. I'm really glad that he got me out of the idea of buying a console, if I bought one, I'll probably still very broke due to paying the expensive games and the xbox live expenses. 

So what do you guys think? Will it be a valid reason to prevent kids from buying consoles?

Typical asian family.... >.<

Hahaha, if you think it is funny, but yeah I saw his point back there. Life was hard and I shouldn't make it even harder for everyone in the family. Not to mention he has to feed my old grandma and myself who was unable to work due to school

remember though, if everyone was techy, no one would need an IT job.

^^^^^^^THIS 1000 TIMES

remember though, if everyone was techy, no one would need an IT job.

Yeah, this is so true!

Wow, sounds like a bit of a blessing in disguise (although, the aforementioned blessing happened to be someone's crotchety and technologically challenged father, but, whatever :P).

I disagree,

If you kill me you're better, If I kill you I'm better.

The last console I ever had was the Wii, it had a few fun games and platformers/puzzle games were very fun on it since it had the wii remote and all that. 

I got it 2 days after its release, I dont use it anymore as its not that fun. But the one thing I still play occasionally is my Gamecube.

That thing was awesome, and it still is. It had the best controller and its still nice to sometimes go back and play it. 

Im a PC gamer now, and that was because I realized consoles had a bad community, games were expensive and you had to PAY to play multiplayer, that kind of made me steer away from consoles. Then I realized that PC was alot faster, and I knew I could do more on a pc aswell as when I was very little I used to play games on a old gaming machine (Celeron D, GeForce FX 5600 XT)

My first console was the Sega Master System II, I still play it sometimes because it had some good games. When I was little I played on consoles because they were easier to operate, just plug them in, plug in the controller, put disc in, turn on, play.

The last console I ever had was the Wii, it had a few fun games and platformers/puzzle games were very fun on it since it had the wii remote and all that. 

I got it 2 days after its release, I dont use it anymore as its not that fun. But the one thing I still play occasionally is my Gamecube.

That thing was awesome, and it still is. It had the best controller and its still nice to sometimes go back and play it. 

Im a PC gamer now, and that was because I realized consoles had a bad community, games were expensive and you had to PAY to play multiplayer, that kind of made me steer away from consoles. Then I realized that PC was alot faster, and I knew I could do more on a pc aswell as when I was very little I used to play games on a old gaming machine (Celeron D, GeForce FX 5600 XT)

My first console was the Sega Master System II, I still play it sometimes because it had some good games. When I was little I played on consoles because they were easier to operate, just plug them in, plug in the controller, put disc in, turn on, play.

I have only owned handhelds for gaming, from Gameboy Advance SP to PSP, the only good consoles are PS1 and PS2.

OMG... My dad is just...

*While I'm playing Witcher 2*

Dad: Will you just stop gaming and learn how to make one instead?

Me: *Speechless*

Don't question your dad, he obviously knows best for you

Eclipse Version 3: i5 9600K | Asus Strix Z390| GTX 1070 | 16GB Kingston Beast | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD [2] +WD Blue 1TB | NZXT H440 | EVGA 750 W | Dark Rock Pro 4| Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium