Thinking About Another GTX Titan to Make SLI

Go to solution Solved by LawrenceBarnes2013,

-1- no bottlenecks to be caused mate, the 3770K will handle it just finr

-2-not at all, 16x vs 8x SLI cause no drop what so ever

-3-again, no bottlenecks, even with top of the line cards, and if you're that concerned about games that doesn't support SLI, although this is the first time i hear that, don't SLI, sell and get a 780Ti Gaming, or RoG witch outperforms the Titan

-4-again, 780Ti single will outperform a single Titan, SLI will outperform Titan SLI, and since it's and old PSU, although it's a 1200W and SLI 780TI/780/Titan will consume around 800W tops, i say swap it since the brand isn't that well known

Hello everyone I hope this is the right place for these questions. I think it is because it says Help! :D

Lately I've been thinking more about getting a second GTX Titan to get SLI performance and quality at 1440p and 2160p after I saw Improve Visual Quality by Running your Monitor at a Non-Native Resolution. I have a 120hz monitor, so I like to get 120 constant FPS if possible. Or 60 fps constant if graphical quality is too demanding. I bought the Titan before 700 series came out and now it doesn't really matter because 780Ti is nearly pricey Titan. So I'm currently kinda stuck using it. Selling my GTX Titan and getting 2 new cards will be much more costly. And with the games that don't support SLI or Crossfire, if I get 780 I will be losing performance with those games. And lets not forget about the amount of RAM it has, which will be useful while using the trick from the video.

I've though about some ways about going SLI, although in real world not everything goes as planned so I'm asking for suggestions/ideas or things that I've overlooked that you might think.

My current system Spec is;

i7-3770k @ 4.5Ghz

Corsair H100i

Sabertooth Z77

Zotac GTX Titan

32GB 1866Mhz Gskill Rip Jaws 

1200W 80+ Xigmatek PSU

1. So as you just read I thought about getting second Titan, and just get it SLI with my current one. But I don't know if my CPU will cause bottleneck. I don't even know if system has a bottleneck at some point currently actually. But as far as 3DMark tests, it doesn't gave me any Achievement on Steam that either CPU or GPU is holding my system back. So I guess there are no bottlenecks currently. So with the second Titan, can my CPU catch up to performance in OCed state?

2. I don't know if Sabertooth Z77 has 2 x16 PCI-e slots that can be used at the same time. As far as I know it is x8 when 2 slots are being used. Will it cause a problem in Performance?

3. I thought about selling my Titan to get 2 RoG Poseidon GTX 780. I have the same thoughts which I wrote above, CPU bottleneck and PCI-e slot problems.

4. My PSU is kinda old. It's around 2-3 years old now. I'm cosidering to get a new one because it's old and might not provide the power that is necessary for SLI build.

Problem is cheapest 780Ti is around 900$ US and cheapest 780 (Zotac GTX 780, not RoG Poseidon GTX 780), is around 615$. Poseidon is around 740$. Buying a 780Ti is like buying a Titan at this price range(even though Titan's listing price is 1180$), so I think that selling Titan to get a (or 2) 780Ti might cost more then just getting a second Titan.

So what are your thoughts and/or advices?

The Intel Z77 chipset only has 16 lanes anyway so no it won't have 2 x 16 (you need X79 for that), you put another card in then it'll run as 2 x 8. If I was you then I would look into a new PSU (can't hurt) and regarding your Titan/s I really don't know mate.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I'd just wait for the next generation of GPU's to upgrade, I mean, Titans are super over-priced, and even with a second I don't know if you'd be able to get 120 fps at 1440p in most modern games. Just wait until a more sensible option comes around.

- "some salty pretzel bun fanboy" ~ @helping, 2014
- "Oh shit, watch out guys, we got a hopscotch bassass here..." ~ @vinyldash303

- "Yes the 8990 is more fater than the 4820K and as you can see this specific Video card comes with 6GB" ~ Alienware 2014

-3-again, no bottlenecks, even with top of the line cards, and if you're that concerned about games that doesn't support SLI, although this is the first time i hear that, don't SLI, sell and get a 780Ti Gaming, or RoG witch outperforms the Titan

-4-again, 780Ti single will outperform a single Titan, SLI will outperform Titan SLI, and since it's and old PSU, although it's a 1200W and SLI 780TI/780/Titan will consume around 800W tops, i say swap it since the brand isn't that well known

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

Ok so I've made up my mind, 

1st I'm going for a PSU It's going to be OCZ - ZX 1250W gold 80+ It should be good enough quality for SLI support for all that hardware.

2nd I'm going to see If how much I can get from selling my Titan, and then I'll go for 780Ti single or Dual.

If the next gen 800 Series come out before I can sell my graphics card and get enough money on top of it to buy 780Ti Well then I'll just go for 880 or what ever the Flagship will be numbered at that time.

Thank you all for the Ideas See you guys later.

I have pretty much the same rig as you, your oc is better then mine, cant get it stable that high. I had 2 660 ti's and wasnt happy. So i got a titan sc. Still kinda crappy in surround but it turned out to be the game. Ordered a second titan, still in between testing. Kinda wish i went with 780 ti's but, didnt feel like selling it. 

Whats your current reason for wanting to upgrade?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Ok so I've made up my mind, 

1st I'm going for a PSU It's going to be OCZ - ZX 1250W gold 80+ It should be good enough quality for SLI support for all that hardware.

2nd I'm going to see If how much I can get from selling my Titan, and then I'll go for 780Ti single or Dual.

If the next gen 800 Series come out before I can sell my graphics card and get enough money on top of it to buy 780Ti Well then I'll just go for 880 or what ever the Flagship will be numbered at that time.

Thank you all for the Ideas See you guys later.

don't go with an OCZ PSU, people say, they say it's bad quality cause i had a conversation yesterday with @FireFox about it, his is working just fine wile some others had bad experience with them, so just to dodge any issues go with a Seasonic 1200W 80+ Platinum or 1250W 80+ Gold, bothe coast nearly the same, one of em is platinum efficient witch is better and Seasonic is very, very well known for making very high quality PSUs

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/power-supply/#m=71&W=1200,1275

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

My reason to upgrade is, I don't want games to slow down, get minimum 60 FPS at highest resolution/quality at possible. Working 6 & half days a week I don't like games slowing down or ?stuttering?, I don't know what to call 2nd one but it's like your monitor doesn't get new images to show for like couple of ?mseconds?. It really breaks the illusion that gaming provides. And since computer hardware development mostly slowed way too much that it doesn't matter too much other then new technologies it supports, I don't want to bother with changing my hardware for 2 years.

We don't have Seasonic here. EVGA wasn't even at market till 1 week ago. So we don't get too many high-end products. I'm going to post couple of links for our biggest country wide tech stores.

Store 1 PSU  It should sort PSU's highest price first. If not or you go off track, Fiyata Gore Azalan should sort them highest first again.

Actually while writing this comment I realized that second store doesn't have any PSUs, that have 1000W or higher. I've found another store, it even has Seasonic in it's stock. But I'm not sure about their customer service.

Well Here it is.

Although Seasonic is Platinum, I really want higher then 1000W to have some headroom for future upgrades or new hardware. And I don't see any other/new Seasonic being imported. The distributor only had this same 1000W model in it's webstore. So they might just shut down the support if it fails somehow.

While most of what you said makes sense, Xigmatek isn't that bad of a brand, and certain ones can be very high up in this tiering system.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

Mine is NRP-HC1201 which puts it in Tier 2 Class A. But still it's a nearly 3 year old PSU and it seems they are slowly diminishing from market since distributors don't import more of the new models. And with the new models they make only have 1050W and let's not forget to mention they are 80+ Silver, not Gold, I'm not thinking about getting a new Xigmatek. Because that's a step down from where they were. With SLI I'll be at 970W already and my next target after getting SLI is an independent sound card. which really gets me to the edge of max power those PSU's can bring.

I'll think I'll go for Corsair AX1200i. It looks like the only one that worth getting right now. Although It will delay my SLI plans because of the price.

While most of what you said makes sense, Xigmatek isn't that bad of a brand, and certain ones can be very high up in this tiering system.

yes, totally, but just to stay away issues that might be caused by a brand that isn't that well known, it's better to go for the Big ones like Cooler master, Corsair, be Quiet ...

I really don't care about components being quite :D I used to have 2 4890 in Crossfire. Underload I could hear them from kitchen while microwaving frozen food, kitchen is 2 floors down btw :P

But I had a nice pair of noise canceling headphones from Creative, they were from a time when they didn't have all those health regulations. I used them for speakers when watching movies :P

Are titans even available o newegg anymore anyways? I think they have transfered to titan z and titan black since the regular titan has been discontinued

I'm not living in the countries newegg sends items. There is 1 Titan available. Same brand as my Titan also.
Although I edited my profile couple of hours ago, I it wasn't updated for everyone to see yet.

Well if its the same series titan, brand wont matter. Neither should the clock speeds as you could make them match without issue. Ebay and amazon have plenty of options, it would be easier to get the titan blacks though. They are the same price anyway, unless you dont mind buying used.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Errrrrrr... I guess it's my mistake to not include that also Ebay, amozon won't deliver any kind of electronics to here. In short, only way to get electronics/hardware in here is buying them from a retailer which buys them from distributor.

Or if you reaaaallly want an electronic from out country, you can order one, pay for transportation, pay more then 20% fee to customs. Although it's not guaranteed that you'll get that item out of customs even after paying for it. They can just put things on hold as long as they want if the product is something they are interested...... F that. :P
As for the pricing, Titan is 200$ cheaper then Titan Black. And it's only a display product, so it's not used, just out of the box in a glass displaying case.

Edit: Can we lock the thread btw? No offense those who still want to contribute, I mean I already made up my mind about what I'm going to do, Unless meteors crash, and we start falling to sky but it should be buried under the threads of other people needing help.
Thank you for understanding.