Which PSU?

So my old PSU gave up on me a week ago after 6 almost wonderful years. R.I.P. Suzy, I forgive you for frying my GPU in '09.

I'm in the market for a 80+ Gold or Platinum PSU. Like most people I've narrowed it down to Corsair or Seasonic. 

Don't care much for the Corsair RM series so on the Corsair side it'd be either the AX860 or AX860i. On the Seasonic side it'd be X-850 or the Platinum SS-860XP2.

I know that any PSU has the chance of being DOA or having coil whine but I'd very much like one with the smallest chance of these things happening. The Corsair ones and the X-850 had some very bad reviews among the good ones which got me a bit worried, didn't check the Platinum. Which do you recommend? 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Out of all of the Corsair PSUs I've used in customer builds (470) I've only had to RMA 2 of them. I would go with Corsair until the day I die.

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

My "Danger Den" PC: i7-4960x @ 4.5Ghz, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 3x GTX Titan Black, 6x m4 512GB, 64GB Corsair DDR3-2400, Corsair AX1500i

Black Beauty Workstation/LAN PC: i5-4570 @ 3.79 GHz, ASRock Z87E-ITX, XFX Double D R9-280 (Non-X), GSkill 8GB DDR3-2400

Corsair is starting to get more bad reviews on their customer support. I suggest you get the X-850.

Get the AX860i and call it 6 years.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Corsair is starting to get more bad reviews on their customer support. I suggest you get the X-850.

So bad experiences from someone else is a instant turn-off for you to purchase from Corsair?

So bad experiences from someone else is a instant turn-off for you to purchase from Corsair?

Not from someONE. someMANY.

Go do some research for yourself.

I would say the ax860i is the best bet, 7 year warranty shows that they trust it, and if it fails you're covered as it'll last a system upgrade or two.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Not from someONE. someMANY.

Go do some research for yourself.

Grow up by saying such childish comments, everyone ever had any bad experience with any brands, Corsair's PSUs are high quality.

And in the future learn to comment more mature instead of " GO *INSERT HATE HERE *. Kid

Here's my honest recommendation. Get whichever is cheaper to you. All of them are manufactured by Seasonic with the exception of the AXi series and they all will perform pretty much the same. No one can guess or proof that no coil whine will ever happen even on the most uber leet psu you can get. Sometimes you just either have to deal with it or RMA for a new unit.

Also you can choose to get whichever that has nearer or better customer support in your area.

No need to fanboy over simple stuff.

Got an RM750, really like it, completely silent. Use a lot of Corsair products have had no issues with any of them, support also very good.

I've heard Seasonic actually make lots of Corsair's very good PSUs and so both brands are equal really (although don't quote me on that).

The AX range seem to be a lot of enthusiasts favourite PSU. Go with the cheapest/one in stock, neither brand will disappoint.

As for the bad reviews, remember Corsair is a lot more consumer based brand then Seasonic and so gains a lot more of attention, also probably more sales. Out of product failures I'd guess that they would be very similar percentage wise on PSUs.

Thanks for all the answers guys! I'm going with the Corsair 860W. Tried to find a balance, it has a 7 year warranty, is built by Seasonic, looks better than the X-850 IMO, is 80+ platinum, has all premium capacitors and is still $30 cheaper than the AX860i wo/ that Corsair link crap. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie.