Windows 11 PC started feeling like absolute garbage without apparent cause

Sukhoikip

I restarted my PC last night since it hadn't be respecting my screen off/sleep settings for the past couple days. Upon it starting up again, it feels VERY  slow, similar to a Celeron 420 in windows 10 with 4GB of RAM and an update going on. Running hwinfo's sensors section bluescreens the system. The only thing out of the ordinary I did on the system prior to these issues was run powercfg to get a SleepStudy, including once from the run prompt because I forgot it doesn't have a GUI. The slowness has persisted between countless restarts, only going away in safe mode.
Troubleshooting steps taken so far:

• Swapped back to my prior kit of RAM
  • DDUed graphics driver multiple times
  • Swapped GPU for a GTX 1060 (Confirmed the 3060 Ti performed as expected in another system, I have a spreadsheet of results)
  • sfc /scannow yielded errors that were repaired
  • chkdsk found and claimed to repair extensive errors over the course of over an hour
  • Cinebench R15 at realtime priority is slightly below past results with the same PBO settings (1964-2092 points now vs 2120 recorded previously)
  • Rolled back last Windows quality update even though it was 2 weeks ago

Specific, repeatable issues:

• HWInfo sensors view bluescreens system with PAGED_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
  • GTA5 ran the same with my 3060 Ti or 1060 at the same settings (~30fps at settings that a 1050 Ti mobile can normally pass 90 with) with frame pacing very consistent with it being starved of CPU time
  • Youtube drops about every 60th frame
  • Apple Music via browser has stutters
  • Task Manager uses about 6% CPU, normally more like .6-2%
  • Windows will lag just being dragged around the screen
  • The search bar both in the taskbar and in the start menu itself does nothing even after restarting explorer

Generally, it feels like the CPU is a small fraction as fast as it actually is. Does anyone have further suggestions other than reinstalling Windows?

Specs:
R7 3700X
B550 TUF
2x16 D4-3600

RTX 3060 Ti

Boot drive: 970 Evo Plus 512GB

19 minutes ago, Sukhoikip said:

I restarted my PC last night since it hadn't be respecting my screen off/sleep settings for the past couple days. Upon it starting up again, it feels VERY  slow, similar to a Celeron 420 in windows 10 with 4GB of RAM and an update going on. Running hwinfo's sensors section bluescreens the system. The only thing out of the ordinary I did on the system prior to these issues was run powercfg to get a SleepStudy, including once from the run prompt because I forgot it doesn't have a GUI. The slowness has persisted between countless restarts, only going away in safe mode.
Troubleshooting steps taken so far:

• Swapped back to my prior kit of RAM
  • DDUed graphics driver multiple times
  • Swapped GPU for a GTX 1060 (Confirmed the 3060 Ti performed as expected in another system, I have a spreadsheet of results)
  • sfc /scannow yielded errors that were repaired
  • chkdsk found and claimed to repair extensive errors over the course of over an hour
  • Cinebench R15 at realtime priority is slightly below past results with the same PBO settings (1964-2092 points now vs 2120 recorded previously)
  • Rolled back last Windows quality update even though it was 2 weeks ago

Specific, repeatable issues:

• HWInfo sensors view bluescreens system with PAGED_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
  • GTA5 ran the same with my 3060 Ti or 1060 at the same settings (~30fps at settings that a 1050 Ti mobile can normally pass 90 with) with frame pacing very consistent with it being starved of CPU time
  • Youtube drops about every 60th frame
  • Apple Music via browser has stutters
  • Task Manager uses about 6% CPU, normally more like .6-2%
  • Windows will lag just being dragged around the screen
  • The search bar both in the taskbar and in the start menu itself does nothing even after restarting explorer

Generally, it feels like the CPU is a small fraction as fast as it actually is. Does anyone have further suggestions other than reinstalling Windows?

Specs:
R7 3700X
B550 TUF
2x16 D4-3600

RTX 3060 Ti

Boot drive: 970 Evo Plus 512GB

It happned to me once, do you have the CPU overclocked or anything. For me the issue just went away within a few hours.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, PcBeExpensive said:

It happned to me once, do you have the CPU overclocked or anything. For me the issue just went away within a few hours.

No, it's just at PBO like it has been for over a year. It was static OCed for a while before that but an AGESA update meant I had to put an uncomfortable voltage to reach the same clock

Edited by Sukhoikip

15 hours ago, Sukhoikip said:

No, it's just at PBO like it has been for over a year. It was static OCed for a while before that but an AGESA update meant I had to put an uncomfortable voltage to reach the same clock

Turn PBO of and see if that changes anything.

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

48 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Turn PBO of and see if that changes anything.

I checked about an hour after my last post, it was apparently turned off at some point in the past

Posted (edited)

Further update, I've been advised by an acquaintance to try repairing with DISM. However, DISM is of a different version than my image and keeps failing the repair with an error about being unable to find the source files. How can I update DISM, and/or how do I set up an image to pull from locally and tell DISM to pull from it?

Screenshot 2024-06-05 111614.png

dism.log

Edited by Sukhoikip
forgot to attach files

7 hours ago, Sukhoikip said:

I checked about an hour after my last post, it was apparently turned off at some point in the past

turn XMP off too and see if anything happens. Maybe it could be a virus of some sort? Get a virus scanner. Can't help you with the DISM thing sorry.

My First PC

1 hour ago, PcBeExpensive said:

turn XMP off too and see if anything happens. Maybe it could be a virus of some sort? Get a virus scanner. Can't help you with the DISM thing sorry.

Turned XMP off while checking the PBO settings

2 hours ago, Sukhoikip said:

Turned XMP off while checking the PBO settings

Oh alright. Have you tried a virus scanner? Maybe delete any apps you recently downloaded.

My First PC

21 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Oh alright. Have you tried a virus scanner? Maybe delete any apps you recently downloaded.

I didn't install anything recently, the only deviation from my normal usage was getting a sleep study from powercfg. After consulting with an acquaintance that's been in IT for the past 20 years about DISM failing, I've decided that the best way forward is a reinstall

1 hour ago, Sukhoikip said:

I didn't install anything recently, the only deviation from my normal usage was getting a sleep study from powercfg. After consulting with an acquaintance that's been in IT for the past 20 years about DISM failing, I've decided that the best way forward is a reinstall

yeah go for it, I prolly should have recommended a re-install earlier. My bad, hope the re-install fixes the issue 🙂

My First PC

concerning it error out with out finding source file...

also check health of the main drive and any other drive connect to it.

aka crystal disk mark.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

10 hours ago, dogwitch said:

concerning it error out with out finding source file...

also check health of the main drive and any other drive connect to it.

aka crystal disk mark.

The SMART data is fine, but I'm going to attempt to RMA the boot drive anyway since I no longer trust it

5 hours ago, Sukhoikip said:

The SMART data is fine, but I'm going to attempt to RMA the boot drive anyway since I no longer trust it

i dont blame you.

i had to do that last year(in dec)

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC