How to know an AIO gone bad?

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 hour ago, AlfaProto said:

That's why I thought, though, I think my diagnosis was right, it's already faulty--lack of liquid.

So far, TH360 isn't under issue like those Arctic or some other AIO (which I can't remember from GN).

Deepcool, msi,... multiple went poof.

Arctic is the only one that actually did something proaxtively about it 馃槢

So recently, a work friend of mine decided to messaged me to diagnose out his PC. I did help him choose and guide him through the build back in 2022.

Here's his specs:

1. Intel Core i7 12700K
  2. ASUS Z690 TUF Gaming Wifi D4
  3. 2x16 GB GSkill TridentZ DDR4 (XMP: 3.6 GHz)
  4. ASUS ROG STRIX 3080 Ti
  5. Corsair 4000D
  6. Thermaltake TH360 ARGB Sync AIO Liquid Cooler
  7. 1TB WD SN770
  8. 3TB Toshiba X300

His 12700K is running at 70C on idle. . .in the UEFI. . .sure he did take out and forgot to repaste---he recently clean-up. After repasting, it still 70C. I also messaged him to 'Enforced Intel limit', which does help, just a 65C idle.

So today, I came over and just provide sanity check---I reseat and repaste, nope, still 65C in UEFI. I remember this---when it was originally built, it was running at 33-40C (his house is AC).

The fix was decided to go ol'reliable air cooler (AK620), also bought a contact frame. This reduced the temp on idle from 65C to 45C! I came to the conclusion that the AIO gone bad, however, before removing it, I did hear the pump running, though, gurgling. Once the AIO is completely out, I shake the radiator and it sound really odd, it doesn't seem completely full (although, I acknowledged that AIO isn't supposed to be full, there should be little gap)--it has a sound of shaken half-empty water bottle.

Was my diagnosis correct? All of my build, even my cousins and friends are all using ol'reliable air cooler. Just youtube knowledge like JayzTwoCent, and GN kinda help with flagging.

Aio's arent fully sealed and often not 100% filled. The hoses can "sweat" moisture incredibly slowly but over the course of years that can ve enough to kill flow.

As well as having a pump higher than the res.

So whilst mechanically they still work theres just not enough liquid

15 hours ago, jaslion said:

Aio's arent fully sealed and often not 100% filled. The hoses can "sweat" moisture incredibly slowly but over the course of years that can ve enough to kill flow.

As well as having a pump higher than the res.

So whilst mechanically they still work theres just not enough liquid

Yeah I know AIO isn't fully 100% filled, there's probably 10-20% unfilled because it's impossible, unless you have one of those rare AIO with a refillable port.

Yeah I know AIO isn't fully 100% filled, there's probably 10-20% unfilled because it's impossible, unless you have one of those rare AIO with a refillable port.

Also in recent years there have been multiple aio's with corrosion issues, rubber melting, o ring melting, biological goop like fungus in the loop,...

So if your friends was one of the ones that had that problem it would easily explain why it broke

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

Also in recent years there have been multiple aio's with corrosion issues, rubber melting, o ring melting, biological goop like fungus in the loop,...

So if your friends was one of the ones that had that problem it would easily explain why it broke

That's why I thought, though, I think my diagnosis was right, it's already faulty--lack of liquid.

So far, TH360 isn't under issue like those Arctic or some other AIO (which I can't remember from GN).

Deepcool, msi,... multiple went poof.

Arctic is the only one that actually did something proaxtively about it 馃槢