Linux channel but different. Hear me out.

2 minutes ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

However, getting there is half luck, half a steep learning process. First you have to realize that there are different brands or flavors of Linux; you have to learn a lot more jargon not to use Linux, but to just read the discussion about it.

Of course there is 'a' learning process. You're going from Windows to a Unix based operating system. Just like there's a learning curve going from Windows to Mac or vice versa. But let's not pretend that Linux is some super hacker simulator the second you boot up slamming your keyboard at 10 miles a minute to open your firefox browser.

As for your Linux Mint example, there's just no way anyone would accidentally install LMDE unless recommended to by someone. It's not on the regular download page, it's not even close to the top in google results for "Linux Mint", and even if you did land on the page somehow it clearly says it's not regular Linux Mint.

Fundamentally the hardest part for any non-tech person who would want to switch to Linux is just the fact that they'd have to install it themselves. Most people use an OS that was already on a machine, to the point where even installing Windows might be a challenge for them.

16 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Oh I care that you guys make shit up. I just don't care what your OS of choice is. Again, if you think I've gone too far, please report me.

I think you should just chill-out a bit, and I don’t know why you believe goading people into reporting you will accomplish anything.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

4 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Hey! I've had to manually wipe a drive in command prompt while installing windows 10 one time because it would otherwise refuse to install. I even have a thread about it on this very forum! Almost like you can always run into problems on any OS. But hey if you got no examples then we're done here. Nice talking to you.

No one needs to meticulously describe their experiences for your approval. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

2 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I think you should just chill-out a bit, and I don’t know why you believe goading people into reporting you will accomplish anything.

I don't know what your point is. I don't believe I'm flaming anyone, but if you believe otherwise you know what to do.

19 minutes ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

What is LMDE Mint vs Ubuntu Mint? I don't know, I could probably figure this out in 10 or 15 minutes of googling. But how many more questions will I have then? If Mint is not even Mint, maybe I should stay with PopOS? Or Ubuntu itself?

FWIW, in my limited experience with Linux(I use it about once a year until something just will not work that I want to work) I tend to go with PopOS. It's "Windows like" enough that it feels familiar, but is beginner enough that it also feels different and easy. Since System76 sells computers with their OS pre installed, they also have very good write ups and guides on their site as well. I found it the least "toxic" way of getting help with Linux..

Now if only they could get my peripherals and apps working correctly 😞

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, atxcyclist said:

No one needs to meticulously describe their experiences for your approval. 

It's not much of a discussion then. If you're making a claim and have no evidence it's just pointless.

7 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

As for your Linux Mint example, there's just no way anyone would accidentally install LMDE unless recommended to by someone. It's not on the regular download page, it's not even close to the top in google results for "Linux Mint", and even if you did land on the page somehow it clearly says it's not regular Linux Mint.

Close but not quite. The way it's listed on both Bing and Google have it near the top of the results.

Spoiler

image.png.55d78bee27e29350f23b89d236b9cf66.png

image.png.04043c30fed2cbc89e2ec1923b8d2e60.png

It's high enough in SEO that that is an honest mistake as far as I'm concerned.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.54cf136d8737e45ce8343ef0e7ddce2b.png

If you go in with little to know prior knowledge, what is there to say "This is the secondary distro"? Yes, with back story there are hints. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

56 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Like they'd catch fire if they sat at a mac for 10 mins.

The last time I tried to use a Mac (one of those stupid all in one machines) was back in 2013 at a hotel in Fiji.  It made me so angry I nearly put my fist through the screen.  Trying to do something so simple as copying photos to a thumb drive.

Just now, Brian McKee said:

It's not much of a discussion then. If you're making a claim and have no evidence it's just pointless.

You have no evidence for your claims either, just so we’re all on the same page. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

A few notes based on the conversation here:

1) LMDE is a side project that is not advertised on the main Mint page unless you dig into it specifically.  Going to the main Mint page, and hitting the 'download' button brings you to a standard Mint Cinnamon installation download.  If you aren't specifically looking for LMDE, you aren't going to accidentally download it.

2) For at least the last decade, Mint has come with a Welcome screen that gives you a step-by-step menu for things to do on first startup.  This screen continues to come up until you very specifically mark a checkbox to have it NOT show on startup.  Part of the step-by-step process includes installing NVIDIA drivers if need be, without going to the command line.  Ubuntu includes something very similar, and has for at least the last 15 years. 

3) This is anecdotal to my case, but I've done probably a dozen each of Windows and Linux installations over the last year for various things.  Linux is by FAR simpler to get up and running.  I have run a Linux instance for nearly a year without having to touch a terminal once.  50% of my windows installations required the command line on the install in order to load wifi drivers or bypass the MS online account requirement. I've never run across a wifi device Linux hasn't autodetected immediately.  Linux installed faster and cleaner, with a faster software update after installation than windows in EVERY install I ran.  

There are plenty of reasons Linux isn't used as a preferred desktop environment for most people, I understand that.  The problem is that a significant number of those reasons are more perception than reality these days.

/Run LMDE as a daily driver

//Windows 11 for the gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T