Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of making an upgrade to my PC preferably to the AM5 platform. However I'm not entirely sure about what would be best. Seeing as I'm pretty confused with all the processor options that are out there and how those influence the MT's of the ram you can pair with it.

Right now I would be able to buy a bundle from a local retailer (in the Netherlands) that consists of a Ryzen 5 7500F and a Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus motherboard for about €329,-/357,77 USD. With a set of ram DDR5 6800 MT's for about €99,-/107,66 USD. Seems like it would be fair good pricing but I wanted to know if any of you have any thoughts on this?

I am a aware that a gpu upgrade might make more sense from a gaming stand point, however I'm not able to find any really worth it deals on GPU's wich wouldn't bottleneck my cpu. And also I feel like i get less bang for my buck, and with the mobo and cpu upgrade i feel like I get future proofing.

I'm looking forward to your Suggestions! 

My system specs are: 

Processor: Ryzen 5 5600X
Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2
GPU: RX 6600 8GB Gigabyte eagle
Ram: 4x8 Corsair vengeance DDR4 3200MHZ
Storage: Kingston NV2 1TB m.2, Crucial P3 1 TB SSD
PSU: Thermaltak Smart BM2 650W Semi Modular 80 Plus Bronze
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

37 minutes ago, tmz said:

With a set of ram DDR5 6800 MT's for about €99,-/107,66 USD

Get something slower, 6800MT/s doesn't work well on Ryzen 7000. You'll be forced into 2:1 mode and get significantly worse performance than if you dropped the speed to 6000MT/s CL30, so might as well save money to begin with by getting a 6000 CL30 kit instead. 

The Motherboard/CPU combo isn't really a deal, it's about what I'd expect those components to sell for individually. You should be able to get a 7600 and a B650M-HDV/M.2 for €324, so take that for what you will. Also, Ryzen 9000 should hopefully be announced beginning of next month (IIRC latest rumors have it at the start of Computex), so you will likely be able to either get a better CPU for the same money or the same CPU for less money if you just wait a month, and since your current system is still plenty adequate, I'd try to wait that extra time. 

56 minutes ago, tmz said:

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of making an upgrade to my PC preferably to the AM5 platform. However I'm not entirely sure about what would be best. Seeing as I'm pretty confused with all the processor options that are out there and how those influence the MT's of the ram you can pair with it.

Right now I would be able to buy a bundle from a local retailer (in the Netherlands) that consists of a Ryzen 5 7500F and a Asus TUF Gaming B650-Plus motherboard for about €329,-/357,77 USD. With a set of ram DDR5 6800 MT's for about €99,-/107,66 USD. Seems like it would be fair good pricing but I wanted to know if any of you have any thoughts on this?

I am a aware that a gpu upgrade might make more sense from a gaming stand point, however I'm not able to find any really worth it deals on GPU's wich wouldn't bottleneck my cpu. And also I feel like i get less bang for my buck, and with the mobo and cpu upgrade i feel like I get future proofing.

I'm looking forward to your Suggestions! 

My system specs are: 

Processor: Ryzen 5 5600X
Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2
GPU: RX 6600 8GB Gigabyte eagle
Ram: 4x8 Corsair vengeance DDR4 3200MHZ
Storage: Kingston NV2 1TB m.2, Crucial P3 1 TB SSD
PSU: Thermaltak Smart BM2 650W Semi Modular 80 Plus Bronze
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

For gaming a GPU upgrade will be better imo, up to a 7800XT/4070 I don't think you'll be that much bottlenecked at 1080p, and rarely at 1440p

I've used a 5900X with a 7900XTX at ultrawide 1440p and only experienced CPU bottleneck in BG3 city and Starfield recently

Depends on the games you play obviously

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

26 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Get something slower, 6800MT/s doesn't work well on Ryzen 7000. You'll be forced into 2:1 mode and get significantly worse performance than if you dropped the speed to 6000MT/s CL30, so might as well save money to begin with by getting a 6000 CL30 kit instead. 

The Motherboard/CPU combo isn't really a deal, it's about what I'd expect those components to sell for individually. You should be able to get a 7600 and a B650M-HDV/M.2 for €324, so take that for what you will. Also, Ryzen 9000 should hopefully be announced beginning of next month (IIRC latest rumors have it at the start of Computex), so you will likely be able to either get a better CPU for the same money or the same CPU for less money if you just wait a month, and since your current system is still plenty adequate, I'd try to wait that extra time. 

Thanks for your response and I've read about the announcement of ryzen 9000 however I don't know if the wait is worth it. Since May in the Netherlands is known as holiday pay season. Wich means I will get a bunch of extra money from my employer and there are a lot of big sales wich will make the prices drop and might make it worth it.

Thanks for the advise on the RAM, I wasn't aware of that and this is very usefull to know!

Personally, I don't think it's worth it upgrading from a 5600x to 7500F, difference isn't big enough. I personally wouldn't upgrade yet.

For gaming, upgrading the GPU would see much bigger improvements.

But If you really want to upgrade CPU, I would either just drop in a 5700X3D for cheaper, or get AM5 CPU that is better than 7500F, possibly wait for 9000 series.  I think I would have  done the latter in your case.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking