will buy pc for kid , Ram speed matter for intel cpu's compare to Ryzen cpu's ?

Go to solution Solved by leclod,

I believe it doesn't matter much, at least on Intel.

I've done a lot of experimenting and I couldn't witness real world differences.

Lately I downgraded from 3600CL14 to 3600CL16, hardly benchmark differences, didn't notice real world differences.

So I'd recommend going towards the sweet spot I know : 3600CL16.

But 3600CL18, 3200CL16, 3000CL15 are fine too. Depends on your prices. I wouldn't go below 3000.

Frequency better higher, CL better lower, price better lower.

Your call

(the following numbers matter too, my current Ram has 16-19-19-36, lower is better)

Nearly forgot, DDR5 current sweet spot is 6000CL30, I'd go DDR5 nowadays

Hello

I will buy pc for kid 
will give him 6700xt gpu , used for mining 
but cpu will be intel gen 10 \ 11 \ 12 \ 13 \ 14 
I will buy cheapest available end with F . 
but ram speed ddr4  , 2666mhz or 3000mhz or ddr5 or cheapest available ?
what I mean ram speed matter for intel cpu's compare to Ryzen cpu's ?

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

Posted (edited)

I believe it doesn't matter much, at least on Intel.

I've done a lot of experimenting and I couldn't witness real world differences.

Lately I downgraded from 3600CL14 to 3600CL16, hardly benchmark differences, didn't notice real world differences.

So I'd recommend going towards the sweet spot I know : 3600CL16.

But 3600CL18, 3200CL16, 3000CL15 are fine too. Depends on your prices. I wouldn't go below 3000.

Frequency better higher, CL better lower, price better lower.

Your call

(the following numbers matter too, my current Ram has 16-19-19-36, lower is better)

Nearly forgot, DDR5 current sweet spot is 6000CL30, I'd go DDR5 nowadays

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

While it doesn't have as much effect as on AM4, it's best to go with 3200 Mhz or higher.

As for DDR5, go with the widest available / tested frequency (look in the QVL list and see what memory frequencies are most tested)

Some Intel chips may limit the maximum ram frequency to some value, but higher frequency sticks will still work, but at the maximum frequency supported by chipset

There's not much savings by going with lower frequency ram sticks.

1 hour ago, PSP. said:

Hello

I will buy pc for kid 

2x16GB DDR4-3200 CL16.

1 hour ago, PSP. said:

Hello

I will buy pc for kid 

Get a sweet spot 3600cl18 or 320016, there's only a very minor performance boost with anything faster

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 hours ago, leclod said:

bdie or no? cause if its the exact same ic no shit you dont see a diff cause its just cl and primaries that change not the secondaries or maybe even tertiaries but idk if ram ics affect tertiaries or not

also generic non bdie 3600c16 is ridicolously overpriced for what it is, same ram ics as 3600c18 or 3200c16, heck you might still get garbage samsung c die that wont clock past 3600

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Get a sweet spot 3600cl18 or 320016, there's only a very minor performance boost with anything faster

^^^

and ddr5 6000c30/32 or prefferably 6400c32 since they arent that much more over the higher cl bins and come with hynix a die so no need to uphrade rams unless you need more of it + the minor performance boost from tighter primaries, since its intel you may also consider 7200c34 and thats also a valid set and forget xmp just that if it doesnt work return cause you are literally paying extra purely for the xmp as itll come with the same ics (a die) as 6400c32 with the same oc capabilities (10000+)

for ddr4 its 3200c16 or 3600c18 only and there are no valid options outside of that for set and forget 1 click xmp as they are either overclocking bins (ex 3200/3600c14 bdie, 4400+ hynix/micron) or they are a complete scam (3600c16 non 16-16-16 bdie), if youd like faster ram then you tune your rams and no amount of money will get you past that as tuned will always beat xmp rams, cheap way to get good rams is buying samsung or hynix green pcbs with specific part numbers to guarantee a good ic (ex 16gb hma82gu6djr8n with hynix 8gbit djr capable of 4600+)

Spoiler

IMG_20240226_015145.thumb.jpg.7e23d5ac63896a27983bdf868ecf3f73.jpgIMG_20240330_233353.thumb.jpg.e9ba5766ec80228368cf2df120dc0b55.jpg

abit of an extreme example but yeah 4600+ doesnt sound so far fetched when im doing a 255% overclock on a stick rated for 1333

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

bdie or no? cause if its the exact same ic no shit you dont see a diff cause its just cl and primaries that change not the secondaries or maybe even tertiaries but idk if ram ics affect tertiaries or not

also generic non bdie 3600c16 is ridicolously overpriced for what it is, same ram ics as 3600c18 or 3200c16, heck you might still get garbage samsung c die that wont clock past 3600

Shorter sentences ?

My 3600CL16-19-19-36 are no B-die, ThaiphoonBurner shows 8 Gb E-die (Z11B / 19 nm). They were only slightly pricier than 3600CL18.

My 3600CL14-15-15-35 were B-die (I think, I remember ThaiphoonBurner showing that).

(my 12400 can't handle 3600 gear 1 anyway, I run at 3500 gear 1)

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

2 hours ago, leclod said:

Shorter sentences ?

My 3600CL16-19-19-36 are no B-die, ThaiphoonBurner shows 8 Gb E-die (Z11B / 19 nm). They were only slightly pricier than 3600CL18.

My 3600CL14-15-15-35 were B-die (I remember ThaiphoonBurner showing that).

(my 12400 can't handle 3600 gear 1 anyway, I run at 3500 gear 1)

Im guessing you kept the bdie stock?

I mean thatd make sense why you wouldnt see a diff even if the mobo will automatically set tighter secondaries (usually still pretty loose compared to tuned though)

Usually 3200c16/3600c18 is noticably cheaper than non bdie 3600c16 and you wont really see a diff between them anyways so i wouldnt really bother wasting an extra 10$ to get 3600c16 over 3600c18 just to get next to no diff, but if theres no price diff between the 2 then obviously 3600c16 even if its non bdie cause free performance even if its negligable or within margin of error

tuned is a different story but if you dont go for bare pcb and pay a ton extra for bdie rams then this is just a write off and you should buy 3200c16/3600c18 instead, good cheap rams with tuning maybe youll see some noticable benifits usually in the form of lows in games or maybe even abit of a benifit to average fps, but this is assuming you tune the secondaries and tertiaries and the tertiaries are probably gonna be a pain to tune

Basically just dont overpay for next to nom existent performance diffs or paying lots for small performance bumos

You're rambling again with overclocking a b-dies and overclocking shit the guy doesn't care about ... read the room ... the computer's gonna be used by a kid playing games, he won't care about overclocking and getting a few extra fps. 

Just let it be and recommend the cheapest 3200 CL16 or CL18 and be done with it.  He'd be better off spending a few dollars more to get a 6 core cpu instead of a cheap 4 core one instead of messing around with various cpus.

OP I see Kuwait in your profile so I guess going the refurbished computer route is not an option for you there.

Also if you insist on Intel , be careful with the gen 10/11 vs gen 12 and higher because while the socket is the same, some chipsets only support gen 10 and 11, and for 12 or 13 you may need a different chipset. Double check.

With AMD it's easier, it's just socket AM4 or socket AM5  - AM4 is DDR4 only , AM5 is DDR5 only.

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

You're rambling again with overclocking a b-dies and overclocking shit the guy doesn't care about ... read the room ... the computer's gonna be used by a kid playing games, he won't care about overclocking and getting a few extra fps. 

Just let it be and recommend the cheapest 3200 CL16 or CL18 and be done with it.  He'd be better off spending a few dollars more to get a 6 core cpu instead of a cheap 4 core one instead of messing around with various cpus.

OP I see Kuwait in your profile so I guess going the refurbished computer route is not an option for you there.

Also if you insist on Intel , be careful with the gen 10/11 vs gen 12 and higher because while the socket is the same, some chipsets only support gen 10 and 11, and for 12 or 13 you may need a different chipset. Double check.

With AMD it's easier, it's just socket AM4 or socket AM5  - AM4 is DDR4 only , AM5 is DDR5 only.

I'm with AMD cpu's since gen 1 AM4 Ryzen 5 1600 , but local no have AMD
I'm searching  , checked that I have  AMD Ryzen 7 5700G and  MSI B550 Gaming GEN3
then will give him 6700xt used for mining 

so I need to search ram Compatible by QVL . 
so PC for kid will be :
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 
 MSI B550 Gaming 
Ram : unkown , searching but 3000mhz and above
gpu : 6700xt 
ssd 1tb sata 
psu : 850w , gold 
case : unkown

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

8 minutes ago, PSP. said:

I'm with AMD cpu's since gen 1 AM4 Ryzen 5 1600 , but local no have AMD
I'm searching  , checked that I have  AMD Ryzen 7 5700G and  MSI B550 Gaming GEN3
then will give him 6700xt used for mining 

so I need to search ram Compatible by QVL . 
so PC for kid will be :
AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 
 MSI B550 Gaming 
Ram : unkown , searching but 3000mhz and above
gpu : 6700xt 
ssd 1tb sata 
psu : 850w , gold 

Motherboard manufacturers typically don't update those QVL files unless there's a major bios update that improves memory compatibility - so late on socket AM4 such updates no longer happen... they usually happen within the first year or so after a socket launch, so on socket AM5 they may still happen (it's around 1 year and a half old).

Usually, a few months after a motherboard model is released, they stop adding memory sticks to those QVL files, and a lot of those models in the QVL files are sticks they already have in their inventory from previous motherboard models.

Pretty much any DDR4 3200 and 3600 Mhz memory stick will function on a B550 motherboard these days.  Issues may still occur when you're filling all four memory slots and use high capacity sticks (ex 4 32 GB sticks) but even in such cases you just may not be able to run the sticks at 3600 Mhz but you'd be able to run them at 3200 or 3000 Mhz.

The 5700G is fine, but as an observation as it has integrated graphics and only half the L3 cache (this one affects performance a bit in games), and the pci-e is limited to 3.0 x16 speeds, the processors without integrated graphics can do pci-e 4.0 (double the theoretical bandwidth, but in practice you won't notice a difference with the 6700xt )

31 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Motherboard manufacturers typically don't update those QVL files unless there's a major bios update that improves memory compatibility - so late on socket AM4 such updates no longer happen... they usually happen within the first year or so after a socket launch, so on socket AM5 they may still happen (it's around 1 year and a half old).

Usually, a few months after a motherboard model is released, they stop adding memory sticks to those QVL files, and a lot of those models in the QVL files are sticks they already have in their inventory from previous motherboard models.

Pretty much any DDR4 3200 and 3600 Mhz memory stick will function on a B550 motherboard these days.  Issues may still occur when you're filling all four memory slots and use high capacity sticks (ex 4 32 GB sticks) but even in such cases you just may not be able to run the sticks at 3600 Mhz but you'd be able to run them at 3200 or 3000 Mhz.

The 5700G is fine, but as an observation as it has integrated graphics and only half the L3 cache (this one affects performance a bit in games), and the pci-e is limited to 3.0 x16 speeds, the processors without integrated graphics can do pci-e 4.0 (double the theoretical bandwidth, but in practice you won't notice a difference with the 6700xt )

there option can sell 7 5700G and  MSI B550 Gaming
and buy intel instead ? good option ?
I asked before another topic about bundle , but all recommend to build myself
not sure now buy intel or use 7 5700G and  MSI B550 Gaming

Bundle is fine. 

The MSI board is not the greatest or best price for features (in lots of countries you can get Gigabyte or Asrock models that have more usb ports on IO shield, better layout for pci-e slots, stuff like that) for same or better price compared to that MSI board. But otherwise, the board is fine to use with a 5700g.

Intel solution is only worth it if you go with 12 gen or newer, and at least 6 cores

6 hours ago, mariushm said:

Bundle is fine. 

The MSI board is not the greatest or best price for features (in lots of countries you can get Gigabyte or Asrock models that have more usb ports on IO shield, better layout for pci-e slots, stuff like that) for same or better price compared to that MSI board. But otherwise, the board is fine to use with a 5700g.

Intel solution is only worth it if you go with 12 gen or newer, and at least 6 cores

I want buy for kid , I not want kid ask me why game freeze or slow 
or bad fps etc... 

I will sell 5700g . will buy intel 12 gen or higher B motherboard 
I might check bundles again 
Thanks ❤️