Low fps and bad frame drops

I just finished building a new pc for my son yesterday but it doesn’t seem to play games the way I thought the system was going to be capable of. It’s an I7-12700k, MSI 4060 OC, Asrock B760 Pro TS WIFI with 1x34Gb 6000mhz Ram(Still waiting for the other stick in the mail).

The first game he wanted to download was Fortnite so the game automatically preset the graphics but I changed the fps cap to unlimited. It only gets around 50-60fps with bad frame drops of down around 20fps and bad stutters/tearing. This is all while waiting for his new monitor and playing on a 27” 720p Tv. Can anyone give me any ideas please? My son is heart broken. 

Did you plug in the HDMI port into the GPU and not the IGPU on the motherboard? That would be one of the potential reasons why your FPS is so horrid.

Also dual channel ram will help.  Other then that its just a matter of figuring out what settings you are using.

The hdmi is directly into the gpu. Even on low settings the frame drops are horrible. 

3 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Can you get a picture of it just to make sure 🙂 What is the resolution of the monitor you are currently using? What is the cooler on the CPU?

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 and it’s just a 720p 60hz tv. 

IMG_5790.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Nfreake said:

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 and it’s just a 720p 60hz tv. 

IMG_5790.jpeg

the 60 hz TV could be causing VSYNC (Right under resolution on fortnite display settings) to be on thus capping the FPS at 60. Do note that a TV with those specs may just have to deal with tearing issues as it does not have any sort of Freesync or Gsync to help smooth them out. It was an issue quite a few years ago, and most monitors nowadays come with freesync by default, while being g-sync Compatible.

May also have to go into the NVIDIA control panel and turn V-Sync off there.

Other then that you did indeed do it right so thats good 🙂 Plug is in the right place.

Just now, Shimejii said:

the 60 hz TV could be causing VSYNC to be on. Do note that a TV with those specs may just have to deal with tearing issues as it does not have any sort of Freesync or Gsync to help smooth them out.

I’ll try on a 1080 or 4k tomorrow before I decide if I have to bring it to someone to diagnose. Would the tv make the in game frames to drop that low? 

4 minutes ago, Nfreake said:

I’ll try on a 1080 or 4k tomorrow before I decide if I have to bring it to someone to diagnose. Would the tv make the in game frames to drop that low? 

It can be a few things including the TV, would definitely wait until the 2nd ram stick is in for proper dual channel mode to be running to see if other issues happen.

If VSync is on and is limiting performance, yeah it can certainly cause those issues.