Question on possibly needing new psu?

So I have a somewhat crappy case that offers poor airflow. I was thinking about adding some more fans to my pc but thought of a few things. I want to buy a 3 pack of corsair rgb fans, just like the ones I own. I currently have a 240mm aio rgb, a 3080 12gb oc, 13700k, 3 intake fans, razer lian li case, thermal take gold rated 850w psu, 2 monitors(possible want to buy 1 more in future), and about 6 usb devices. Would my current psu be able to handle the 3 extra fans and possible 3rd monitor. Or should I just upgrade psu aswell. If any can offer advice I'd appreciate it. Also gpu is undervolted.

Fans add a negligible amount of power, and monitors don't draw power from the PC's PSU. We can't tell you if you should upgrade your PSU, since we don't know which model it is. Thermaltake has 18 different 850W 80+ Gold rated PSUs, and you haven't told us which it is. 

:)

18 minutes ago, micslappyhands said:

So I have a somewhat crappy case that offers poor airflow. I was thinking about adding some more fans to my pc but thought of a few things. I want to buy a 3 pack of corsair rgb fans, just like the ones I own. I currently have a 240mm aio rgb, a 3080 12gb oc, 13700k, 3 intake fans, razer lian li case, thermal take gold rated 850w psu, 2 monitors(possible want to buy 1 more in future), and about 6 usb devices. Would my current psu be able to handle the 3 extra fans and possible 3rd monitor. Or should I just upgrade psu aswell. If any can offer advice I'd appreciate it. Also gpu is undervolted.

the monitor doesn't draw power from the pc power supply and new fans only use a small amount of power (5W each)

Which corsair fans? Arctic P12 ARGBs will most likely fair better than them

no need to upgrade your psu

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

As mentioned by the first two before me, I doubt you need a new psu. Unless, your current one has any issue that is. My concern is you saying you have a "crappy case with poor airflow." Because the only razor lian li case I know is the O11(unless there's more). And that's a decent case. I had the regular O11 dynamic and my setup was, bottom and side are intake fans, while top is a 360mm aio rad as exhaust. I also added a small 80mm at the rear after watching a video of someone putting two 80mm fans there. Personally to equalized intake and exhaust, I would use a 2500-3000rpm fans on the Radiator and set it up so that it would run 50-60% fan speed on average and would speed to around 70-80% when cpu/gpu temps hit 85c. While the intakes(bottom and side) would be setup to spin in a much slower phase(like a max of 2000rpm fans). So that even if there's 6 of them, it would only be slightly positive pressure. But with this, you might need a really good fans, like the phanteks t30 or thermaltake toughfan turbo and not just a branded  expensive RGB fans(as these only adds FPS and not cooling compared to their non rgb counterparts). 

I always use large cases. More air and most importantly more room to work with

ever try to blindly plug in an rgb cable?  Not fun

Instead of the fans maybe look at a new case?

Those corsair fans arent great airflow wise and expensive to the point that quite decent cases are close in price.

A case that has crap airflow often isnt fixed by adding more or better fans.

What case do you have?

Btw your monitor doesnt draw power from the pc thats why it has its own power plug.

You are well in limits of your psu.

5 hours ago, kitnoman said:

As mentioned by the first two before me, I doubt you need a new psu. Unless, your current one has any issue that is. My concern is you saying you have a "crappy case with poor airflow." Because the only razor lian li case I know is the O11(unless there's more). And that's a decent case. I had the regular O11 dynamic and my setup was, bottom and side are intake fans, while top is a 360mm aio rad as exhaust. I also added a small 80mm at the rear after watching a video of someone putting two 80mm fans there. Personally to equalized intake and exhaust, I would use a 2500-3000rpm fans on the Radiator and set it up so that it would run 50-60% fan speed on average and would speed to around 70-80% when cpu/gpu temps hit 85c. While the intakes(bottom and side) would be setup to spin in a much slower phase(like a max of 2000rpm fans). So that even if there's 6 of them, it would only be slightly positive pressure. But with this, you might need a really good fans, like the phanteks t30 or thermaltake toughfan turbo and not just a branded  expensive RGB fans(as these only adds FPS and not cooling compared to their non rgb counterparts). 

Yea it's the O11 case. And I was thinking about buying a three pack and putting a fan at the top to help my aio with exhaust. And 2 on the bottom with intake. I have also looked at the side exhaust and getting a tiny fan too because it looks like it could fit. So I'll consider this.

6 hours ago, seon123 said:

Fans add a negligible amount of power, and monitors don't draw power from the PC's PSU. We can't tell you if you should upgrade your PSU, since we don't know which model it is. Thermaltake has 18 different 850W 80+ Gold rated PSUs, and you haven't told us which it is. 

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold SLI/ CrossFire Ready Ultra Quiet 140mm Hydraulic Bearing Smart Zero Fan Full Modular Power Supply 10 Year Warranty PS-TPD-0850FNFAGU-1

Here is the exact power supply 

7 hours ago, filpo said:

the monitor doesn't draw power from the pc power supply and new fans only use a small amount of power (5W each)

Which corsair fans? Arctic P12 ARGBs will most likely fair better than them

no need to upgrade your psu

So I looked back and I found the exact ones i got. Corsair LL Series CO-9050072-WW LL120 RGB, 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan, 3 Fan Pack with Lighting Node PRO. The weird thing is, the black ones are claimed to go up to 1500 rpms but in reviews they apperently go higher. But the if you look at the exact ones in white. They claim to go up to 2200 rpms but again go higher in reviews. I feel these would be fine. But idk if i should get black ones again or just go with white because they are magically faster or something.

On 5/6/2024 at 9:08 AM, micslappyhands said:

The weird thing is, the black ones are claimed to go up to 1500 rpms but in reviews they apperently go higher. But the if you look at the exact ones in white. They claim to go up to 2200 rpms but again go higher in reviews.

Honestly I haven’t seen 120mm fans peak at 1500rpm. That’s quite slow when you consider 2000rpm is average, even what you’d get on a tight budget. Keep in mind thats peak speed, not sustained.

Far as color goes I wouldn’t be so concerned, perhaps if they match your case that’s your best bet?  lol sounds obvious but yeah.  Depends on ur build overall, white on black? White on white? You get the idea. My brother has an O11 white, with a white motherboard, gpu (pretty sure is white…) some company 3080 rtx, and of course white fans

i have seen some builds with a white on black theme too, neat.
It should be mentioned you can also get custom PSU cables!  Yeah!  Instead of the boring black u can get a variety of colors sold individually or in a kit. Heck I’ve seen some that are braided in multiple colors, braided like your cell phone charger

myself I purchased a “rgb psu extender” set of cables. Got a set for my cpu (it’s a long stretch with the psu at the bottom lol), gpu and my motherboard 24 pin. While I was at it I got a 90 degree Mobo adapter cause going complete 180 out the grommet is a pain

anyway it’s basically braided plastic and on either side are black strips that house the LEDs. So |————| the | being the strip and the —- being the braid. Looks really cool when setup proper

i scrapped that stuff though only cause I tinker with my equipment constantly. Sometimes too much rgb is too many cables lol

I actually HAVE an O11 dynamic (white), and I ended up swapping my equipment into a thermal take TT71 view - something like that. Just look up 71 view TT. It’s completely tempered glass all around, maybe a half inch gap or so between the frame and glass so airflow isn’t an issue at all. Glass is slightly tinted black so when it’s lit up, oh she’s lit up.  Issue though, the thing is 70lbs alone, expensive, and massive. Massive of course is what I wanted it for so isn’t exactly a complaint

anyway back to fans, if you want RGB look into the lian li ones. I forget the name off the top of my head but they snap together - up to 4 in a series. REALLY convenient cause rather than 4 fan cables plus 4 rgb cables, yikes!  Nope these guys, one rgb (for the controller, included), and a standard pwm fan plug

Dono what the speed is, assuming 2000. Sold in white or black. I highly highly recommend them to anybody that’s into rgb just for the convenience factor/less cable management

if RGB isn’t so important (me), thermaltake has super premium ones.  They do 3000rpm?  I bought em cause they were highly reviewed from multiple resources. Super quiet, great warranty and yep, 50% faster than a regular 120mm

Biggest downside is price. I bought a bunch at a time, most 3 packs, some single, I think like 60$ each for one?  Think it was $120 for three

and yeah yeah all ya haters, oh go noctua. Uh, nah. My black on black theme (purple/green like joker from Batman when lit up) don’t work well with brown and tan haha.

if your REALLY into rgb search around for black light LED strips. I found a set that were maybe an inch wide and about a foot long - don’t need more cause they’re bright!  Anyway usb powered so isn’t hard to strip the wires if u wanted and shove them into a molex fitting which, is ultimately what I did

Then I went to the store and got some really thick uv reactive markers - yep take a guess. Clear black glass case, looks normal. Power it on, bazam! The UV stuff glows, it’s sweeeeeet

plus my system is water cooled. Not that weak AIO stuff. Flex tubing and all. Anyway holds about a gallon of distilled water, eh maybe a tablespoon of bleach as a biocide.   Took one of the markers apart, popped the cap on my res/pump and squeezed green UV dye in there - not much.

so now when it’s off, oh that’s “just” water. Lit up? Now it looks radioactive or something, good contrast on my water blocks too as they’re nickel coated. Another benefit is the UV dye, it wears out so eventually my water is clear again. Change colors?  Sure!  No need to drain the loop and do all that jazz

anyway!!!

-Lian li fans, the ones that snap together.

-you don’t have to stick with boring black psu cables, there’s alternative's

-personally not a fan of the O11 but I’m not you. Had it, swapped it. I have too much to literally squeeze into that case

-your psu is fine, but if your inclined, don’t hurt to get a backup or even step up to 1000w (do not go cheap, get seasonic or something. I have a “game max” and it fried my motherboard)

oh one last thing to mention as I found out the hard way. I have a game max (as mentioned), Corsair, and a seasonic PSU. The game max cables will not work with anything else!  Same for the Corsair set and the seasonic set!  The Corsair is easy to identify cause duh it just won’t plug into anything else. The seasonic?  They won’t plug into the Corsair, but will into the gamemax. BUT either PSU will NOT power on with the wrong f*ing cables!

yah, so when I swapped from the GMx to my seasonic I was pretty upset to find out I had to swap every bleeping wire. She worked fine with a jumper and benched - with her cables.

just saying, nobody mentioned that one to me!  Not even the manufacturer 

sorry for the rant. Bored