Moving back from Linux to Windows - Need Some Advice

HarleyTorrisi
Go to solution Solved by da na,

OOSU 10++ is THE tool to do what you're looking for with disabling telemetry and other BS within Windows. 

As for Edge, there are registry tweaks you can do, but setting your own user account as the owner of its install directory and forbidding system access to it has worked for me. 

Never had OneDrive come back after uninstalling it, but if you do, same thing - forbid access to the folder it wants.

Hey Everyone,

I have been using Linux for almost a year now. And have been surprisingly happy with my experience. Unless there is something you need that only Windows offers, there really is no need to go for Windows. However, I have several pieces of hardware related software that simply lack the feature set of windows versions. I am a dev, but don't even have the time to work on my own projects, let alone try and contribute to FOSS. So I want to move back, though need to put Windows through an STD Cleanamatron 2000 before even considering it.

TLDR;

Is there a software, paid or free, open or closed... That will monitor my system to; make sure all telemetry is disabled and keeps OneDrive uninstalled even after updates. Easily change default browser. Assist in clean software uninstall like (revo uninstaller). Registry, and whatever else you may think is important.

Basically a tool to fix everything that is wrong and nasty with Windows. I know there are PS tools like the Chris Titus one to help with some of this, but my goal is for just a single tool that I can set and forget.

None of this is an issue on Linux, so I am hoping for a simple enough solution.

I would simply recommend Windows 11 Pro for your application, then I would follow these guides to fine tune it to your liking:

Do keep in mind that there are hardware restrictions on Windows 11; unless it is when you're using Rufus, meaning: you will get the most out of your operating system if you are using Alder Lake (12th Gen) or greater, or Zen 4 (Ryzen 7000) or greater. At least to my knowledge. There are people who claim Zen 3 runs satisfactory enough on Windows 11, but there are also those that claim it doesn't as well. The same goes for pre-Alder Lake (12th Gen) Intel CPUs. There are those that claim it runs fine for them on these pre-12th Gen configurations (or pre Zen4), but then also those that say it's a nightmare where they revert back to Windows 10.

Therefore, you might want to keep that advice as a consideration if you are running such hardware combinations. 

20 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

I would simply recommend Windows 11 Pro for your application, then I would follow these guides to fine tune it to your liking:

Do keep in mind that there are hardware restrictions on Windows 11; unless it is when you're using Rufus, meaning: you will get the most out of your operating system if you are using Alder Lake (12th Gen) or greater, or Zen 4 (Ryzen 7000) or greater. At least to my knowledge. There are people who claim Zen 3 runs satisfactory enough on Windows 11, but there are also those that claim it doesn't as well. The same goes for pre-Alder Lake (12th Gen) Intel CPUs. There are those that claim it runs fine for them on these pre-12th Gen configurations (or pre Zen4), but then also those that say it's a nightmare where they revert back to Windows 10.

Therefore, you might want to keep that advice as a consideration if you are running such hardware combinations. 

Thank you for the effort put into this reply, those last two may have some extra nuggets of info.

As I have volume licensing, and decent hardware. Some of these are not an issue. i.e. TPM and Microsoft Login.

I have been aware of making custom Windows boot images for some time. My issue with those, however, is that Windows Updates can roll back some of the work done. Hence, why I made this post asking if there is a persistent tool that I can set and forget. Whenever Windows pulls a dirty, it is there to rid the STDs.

I get roughly a 25% internet speed improvement on Linux. There is definitely in itch in the Windows OS 😂

1 minute ago, HarleyTorrisi said:

Hence, why I made this post asking if there is a persistent tool that I can set and forget.

I use ShutUp10, which works on 11 as well. I don't like to leave things running, but you can. I just open it every so often, and import my config (it will also warn you if your settings have been changed, if you open it). I normally only check it after major updates.

37 minutes ago, HarleyTorrisi said:

Thank you for the effort put into this reply, those last two may have some extra nuggets of info.

As I have volume licensing, and decent hardware. Some of these are not an issue. i.e. TPM and Microsoft Login.

I have been aware of making custom Windows boot images for some time. My issue with those, however, is that Windows Updates can roll back some of the work done. Hence, why I made this post asking if there is a persistent tool that I can set and forget. Whenever Windows pulls a dirty, it is there to rid the STDs.

I get roughly a 25% internet speed improvement on Linux. There is definitely in itch in the Windows OS 😂

You're very welcome. I actually recently did a switch on some of my devices to Linux, so I understand the struggle.

I would recommend DoNotSpy11 in that case:

https://pxc-coding.com/donotspy11/

Or seeing that you're an advanced user, I can additionally suggest Blackbird:

https://www.getblackbird.net/download/

1 hour ago, HarleyTorrisi said:

Is there a software, paid or free, open or closed... That will monitor my system to; make sure all telemetry is disabled and keeps OneDrive uninstalled even after updates. Easily change default browser. Assist in clean software uninstall like (revo uninstaller). Registry, and whatever else you may think is important.

my goal is for just a single tool that I can set and forget.

1 tool for all of those? as far as I know. Nope

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

You better not... cause I still don't like 11 and 12 is going to be AI ridden.

10 is going to be EOL and they'll start asking $58 for every damn security update soon. The security update prices will increase to $570 after a while. I mean, come on here. Are you nuts? If an OS asked me $570 for every security update, I can ensure you I'd ask Dr. Web aka Igor to go back to the Russian MIG-30 he used to work on before anti-virus, take off with it... take a spin from Russia to Redmond, Washington... and drop a homing to the Microsoft Campus at 5 AM when no one is in. Save us from the trouble which will be the future Skynet.

Stick with Linux if you can.

If no other avail, install WIN 10 HOME and call it a day.

Pro version only if you require the extra stuff it gives in the control panel...

OOSU 10++ is THE tool to do what you're looking for with disabling telemetry and other BS within Windows. 

As for Edge, there are registry tweaks you can do, but setting your own user account as the owner of its install directory and forbidding system access to it has worked for me. 

Never had OneDrive come back after uninstalling it, but if you do, same thing - forbid access to the folder it wants.

1 hour ago, Motifator said:

You better not... cause I still don't like 11 and 12 is going to be AI ridden.

10 is going to be EOL and they'll start asking $58 for every damn security update soon. The security update prices will increase to $570 after a while. I mean, come on here. Are you nuts? If an OS asked me $570 for every security update, I can ensure you I'd ask Dr. Web aka Igor to go back to the Russian MIG-30 he used to work on before anti-virus, take off with it... take a spin from Russia to Redmond, Washington... and drop a homing to the Microsoft Campus at 5 AM when no one is in. Save us from the trouble which will be the future Skynet.

Stick with Linux if you can.

If no other avail, install WIN 10 HOME and call it a day.

Pro version only if you require the extra stuff it gives in the control panel...

Can we all take a moment to stop and appreciate this man's humour ❤️

I won't be doing anything till I at least get to take Cosmic DE for a spin.

7 minutes ago, da na said:

Nice one dude! And by the looks it does take care of Edge. Not that I will be using it except Web Dev testing.

I see they have a tool called App Buster as well https://www.oo-software.com/en/ooappbuster

If used, would you rate it? I wonder if it is as good as Revo.

1 minute ago, HarleyTorrisi said:

Nice one dude! And by the looks it does take care of Edge. Not that I will be using it except Web Dev testing.

I see they have a tool called App Buster as well https://www.oo-software.com/en/ooappbuster

If used, would you rate it? I wonder if it is as good as Revo.

Never given it a try myself, but given how well OOSU has worked at disabling Windows 10's nastier inner workings, I'd bet that App Buster works well too.

46 minutes ago, Motifator said:

oh my god, I thought that was a joke

What the actual hell

8 hours ago, Motifator said:

Windows 10 only, I wonder what their motive is… Maybe to push push users to Windows 11, or test the waters and see if they can succeed on Windows 11.