Hooks on Walker with Basket Cage broke from poor design, can anyone think of a solution?

rlaphoenix

Hi,

I have an older relative who actively uses a Walker with a Bag and a Cage-style Basket with a Lid as a table.

The original design had very flimsy metal wire-looking hooks that went around the knob screws that tightened the height of the handlebars:

image.png.468b29bf69c2930a27a8435b9eb828ea.png

This broke like a few days after purchase on one side, with the other side begging to break, which eventually too broke off.

She uses it quite regularly for coats, drinks, and sometimes as a table for eating when sitting outside.

Therefore, a solution needs to be strong and firm. Our current way of attaching it is simply to tie it around the sides of the handlebar and at the bottom.
It's strong and steady but there's a problem, when she needs to get into a taxi or a bus, it cannot be folded up.

image.png.578d45aeb860be627c1819f7b68029d3.pngimage.png.bbda20912aa42c86f1dc30b25a6d6d56.png

Does anyone have a recommendation or idea on attaching and reattaching quickly, while having it firm and steady when attached?

3D printing seems like a clear choice, but I have no 3D modeling experience nor any ideas on what to 3D print for attaching it.

Link to the product that was purchased: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MXSUKX5

The knob that is used to tighten looks like this:

image.png.776b542bee58f4042b362a6dd37bc5b2.pngimage.png.549d59e5b56fbb36705bddead370da5c.png

This is my only idea right now for a 3d-printed part that is feasible:

image.png.53f8dfcc72a1d17a4134ae861a034b37.pngimage.png.f0d2eb089b904f4ebc272b4c6f27b269.png

Perhaps a solution like this:

image.png.37aa492f79a3364b8753cbe8c8b81028.pngimage.png.afec453fa57663c5e69445335e96fb32.png

Perhaps the lime protrusion should be pointy tipped to allow for smoother insertion so you dont have to be so precise when attaching. Sort of like a door latch but non-moving. Where you slide it in and it eventually goes thicker and thicker until its full size preventing movement until you do a bit of force when pulling up for removal.

Those three wheel walkers are scary.

I saw some baskets with a simple mounting system, basically a block that goes around the two supports, with two holes in it, and you just drop two posts into the holes to hold the basket on. Easy for your driver to remove, lifts straight out, and drops right back in when you get dropped off.

Edit: The biggest design fault of most modern mobility devices is having steel threading into aluminum. Maybe find a local bike shop that works on mobility devices, and have them drill out the aluminum and put in a press in steel nut. Now you would have steel threading into steel, and the handlebar adjustments won't strip out.

It's also pretty disgusting to me how cheap most of these are; They are far too flimsy for what they're meant to do.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022