noob linux problems

hi i want to install linux on my new but sh*t specs laptop. the performance is bad on windows as it was made for s mode. i've tried to install pop os( cause it looked nice) but my usb ethernet adapter's driver wasn't avilable. then i searched and asked forums. i may have even have even found the solution but the list was so long that i ran back to windows. can you recommend me an os? i want it to have the least work i need to do.

app requirements: brave, good podcast app, idm, telegram

bonus question: if i install brave, will all sites work?

these are my laptop specs

Device name    DESKTOP-H2J6R06
Processor    Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000 CPU @ 1.10GHz   1.10 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.82 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display

Please tell me what to send about the ethernet adapter. i'm not sure.

thanks for reading.

5 minutes ago, Hasan123 said:

idm

is windows only. Alternative would be jdownloader.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

You could try linux mint, because most of stuff works on it out of the box, but if your ethernet adapter didn't work in POP os, there's a high chance it also won't work in other distributions, so you will have to do put a bit of work in to get the driver working. Brave works exactly the same on linux as on windows, at least in my experience

6 minutes ago, MiszS said:

You could try linux mint, because most of stuff works on it out of the box, but if your ethernet adapter didn't work in POP os, there's a high chance it also won't work in other distributions, so you will have to do put a bit of work in to get the driver working. Brave works exactly the same on linux as on windows, at least in my experience

where can i find the best solution? i want to keep one in hand before i switch. and how?

6 minutes ago, Hasan123 said:

where can i find the best solution? i want to keep one in hand before i switch. and how?

i mean, you said "i may even have found a solution", so just try to make it work with that, and if it doesn't, you can always ask on this forum/linux mint forums too

1 hour ago, Hasan123 said:

where can i find the best solution?

I would live boot linux mint and try the Ethernet adapter. Most of the time, even without drivers, it will work as Linux comes with it's own open source drivers. You don't need to install anything, you can just run the os of the usb drive, if it works, then you can install the os. if not, try another os like fedora.

You don't say what the make and model of laptop it is.

However from the specs there should be no problems installing Linux Mint with the cinnamon desktop. I've done over 50, if desktops are included over 100 installations. You don't say whether it has a hard disk or SSD. If the former, replace with an SSD.

You need to burn the Linux iso to a USB stick and then boot the laptop from the USB stick. You can do tests running it before installing.

As said, Brave works perfectly on Linux.

Internet connection problem - via a plug in cable or WiFi? Certainly I've never had problems with cable connection.

On 4/23/2024 at 10:20 PM, Levent said:

is windows only. Alternative would be jdownloader.

you have a guide on how to set it up? will it do the "download this video" thing?

For my laptop, lenovo yoga, I had to additionally download some file off the internet and put it in the firmware-folder in order to get wifi working. Might be similar in your case.

For basic tasks, I recommend the basic thing: go for Debian.

Brave is installable via its own repo or via flatpak, whereas I very much prefer flatpak.

Spotify or whatever else you use is probably available on flatpak as well.
When it comes to jdownloader, go to https://jdownloader.org/jdownloader2 , click Linux , download the script and execute it (rightclick -> make executable | terminal: chmod +x /path/to/file). This should install java and all necessary stuff as well.