Choosing Router and APs for Home Network

Currently budgeting out an upgrade for my home network and trying to decide which devices to get. Budget would be ~$250 and would have a new router (with built in AP) with 1-2 additional APs depending if I want to add one more AP than the current configuration.

Here are a couple recommendations from Ubiquiti systems

$150 Gateway/Router/Built in wifi AP: https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/category/all-unifi-cloud-gateways/products/ux

It only comes with one WAN port for internet, and a single LAN port for an additional connected device. This device has a lot of limitations compared to their other, more expensive, products. However, it does have a lot more than your traditional ASUS/Netgear stuff you find at Costco or Best Buy. You will need a simple switch to add more LAN ports. They have a very inexpensive one to start:

$30 Flex mini normal switch (can be powered with POE, but don't worry about that as it's beyond your budget, it also comes with a power adapter): https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/category/switching-utility/products/usw-flex-mini

The Flex mini will give you four additional ports for connected devices. Unifi has a huge selection of gear, and these recommendations are just the sand at the beach. There is the whole ocean available to you. Unifi's APs can be added using POE (you would need a different switch for that) or they will work in wireless Mesh mode to extend your coverage. They are very versatile, relatively easy, and mildly affordable. Prices were better before the pandemic. But they have U6 Lite APs that cover a great area in your home for $99, and fancier APs with Wifi7 go up to $200ish.

But start small within your budget. I mean $180 to get started is not bad at all.