PC Controller issues

Sofie

I have been using an XBOX Elite series 1 controller for the better part of a couple of years and have had no issues at all. The controller was working perfectly fine up through yesterday morning. Randomly out of the blue by the end of last night it started to have some of the weirdest glitches I have ever seen. In all software programs like steam or even the xbox accessory application it registers all button inputs properly. However the second I load up any game the controller mapping is just completely tossed out of the window. For instance in Final Fantasy XIV my controller started to register the triggers as camera left and right with the left joystick up and down as also camera left and right. None of the other buttons worked either and the game itself would not register the button mapping feature like the controller was not connected. In deadspace, the triggers got combined to be camera movement AND aim and fire. A button just did nothing at all. Strangely enough the ONLY game that still semi seems to register all inputs properly is Helldivers 2 at this point. There were no major updates to my system between the morning and evening either.

So far I have tried removing and updating the drivers for the controller. Completely ensuring that the controller was removed from my system then reconnecting it. I have even tried every USB port my computer has to no avail. When switching to a new USB cable it half started to work but in games like Final Fantasy XIV it started to register stick drift that straight up did not actually exist. Basically phantom movement. Uncertain what to do at this point. I am considering completely wiping my system after backing up files and then reinstalling windows.

If anyone can assist or has had a similar issue I would be appreciative.