Optical issue

Jojo0607

So I got a new optical drive for my pc and on bootup i can use it fine but when its booted into windows, its not showing up in device manager and wont let me even use the drive like pressing the button to open and close it doesn nothin. Is there somethin im missin or is windows bein stupid?

Have you plugged the power cable in to it, not just SATA?

Yes i even replugged both cause otherwise it wouldnt even power on at all when i press power button but it hasnt fixed anythin

Few more details needed.

• This is an internal optical drive? Does your BIOS recognize it? Some motherboards some SATA ports are disabled with some drive combinations (like SATA M2 drives).
  • Was this a new drive? Has it ever worked? 

3 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Few more details needed.

• This is an internal optical drive? Does your BIOS recognize it? Some motherboards some SATA ports are disabled with some drive combinations (like SATA M2 drives).
  • Was this a new drive? Has it ever worked? 

Yes my bios does show it and it is a new drive that I haven't used yet since I don't have anythin else to use it atm. Also it is an one that goes into the 5.25" slot.

4 hours ago, Jojo0607 said:

Yes my bios does show it and it is a new drive that I haven't used yet since I don't have anythin else to use it atm. Also it is an one that goes into the 5.25" slot.

You might try booting up into Linux using a live distro like Mint (using a USB) and see if it works there. That would indicate help decide if Windows is the problem or now. It should just work if your BIOS is detecting it. I still use optical drives in everyone of my machines, and they just work, Linux and Windows (10 and 11).

You don't have any missing drivers like chipset drivers or anything do you?

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

You might try booting up into Linux using a live distro like Mint (using a USB) and see if it works there. That would indicate help decide if Windows is the problem or now. It should just work if your BIOS is detecting it. I still use optical drives in everyone of my machines, and they just work, Linux and Windows (10 and 11).

You don't have any missing drivers like chipset drivers or anything do you?

I don't cause I have all drivers for my board as well as other things installed so